1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Project Joe Dirt: 86 Monte Carlo SS, LSx 5.3, T70, Megasquirt II

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by PaulF, Nov 19, 2012.

1. PaulF

I'm in Maine. My profile used to show that but since the conversion it has disappeared.

2. denmah

also, if that 044 is loud, take the pre filter out and get one with a much larger screen.

ours have always hated pre filters, they loose pressure and flow, they cant draw for shit.

everyone i know around here is pushing through a filter, since they have a screen in the bottom of the pump.

im thinking they might need a very large micron filter to not get abstructed.

PS
    thanks for the kudos! haha

3. PaulF

Maybe I will go with a post pump filter. The one pictured here is a 40 micron so maybe I will just put it after the pump. I am actually going to use the stock pick-up tube from the Monte tank which has a sock on it already, so maybe that will be good enough? Are you mounting your 044's close to the tank and pushing fuel? Or are you putting them up by the engine and doing them as a puller. I thought this was a pusher pump.

I started doing real actual car work today amazingly enough! Fired her up this morning and pulled her into the garage to start doing some demolition!

[​IMG]#ad

Had the engine hanging on the crane this afternoon.

[​IMG]#ad

Look at the room in that engine bay!!! It is like a cavern, turbo install should be very easy with that much room.

[​IMG]#ad

The sad little 305 that has pushed this Monte around for so long. It sure does look like a beat piece of shit doesn't it?

[​IMG]#ad

Joe Dirt all the way baby. No hood, no engine, but parked out in my driveway, that's what I'm talking about. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]#ad

Completed wiring harness, I think it looks pretty nice to be honest. I'll put the cannon plug on when the 5.3 is in the engine bay and I can trim the harness to the right length.

[​IMG]#ad

More to come, should be trial fitting the 5.3 this weekend, I'm getting fired up here!

4. TDmkr496

Is that a factory non A/C car???

5. PaulF

It sure is. I didn't even know you could get an SS without A/C until I bought this one!

6. TDmkr496

Thats sweet, any ideas where your going to put the turbo?

7. ncontt

very nice job on the harness...and BTW, DEF LEPPARD SUCKS! :laughhard::cheers:

8. denmah

i keep the 044s close to the tank if they are feeding off a sump, they are terrible at pulling fuel.

stock in tank pickup feeding that 044 should work great, i would push through that filter, there is a screen in the back of the 044 also.

9. j.Mack

very cool build, I love G-Bodies!

10. PayUpSuka

Great job on the wiring! Can't wait to see how the aircraft connector looks in the car.

11. Dom87SS

I wanna say thats the first gbody Monte SS ive seen with air delete in what looks like a factory install.

Neat install, one I hope to do myself one day to my monte.

12. DeboDaddy

Same here. I've owned two handfulls of 85-88 SS's and consider myself pretty up-to-spec on my knowledge of them. Can't say that I've ever seen it. Cool build man! Keep us updated.

13. MONTEGOD7SS

I've never seen it either and I've been a Monte fan since I was a kid. My '87 is bench/column which is kind of rare, but not in a good way, lol.

14. TDmkr496

Any plans for mods to the trans?

15. 89JYturbo

I'm one of those weird people who loves wiring too. I appreciate a clean wiring harness, but mine never end up being as nice as I plan. Where do you get the braided wire covering andheat shrink labels? It looks a lot nicer than the convoluted split loom I normally use. I got some braided heat shrink tubing from jegs for my project, its really nice (made in Japan!) but kind of expensive.

16. 89JYturbo

I was also wondering if you plan to use longer push rods with the ZR1 cam. My ZR1 cam base circle measured 0.060" smaller than the stock LQ4 cam. I never seen Denmah talk about using different push rods, so maybe it would be okay with stockers.

17. PaulF

I am 99% certain this is a factory non A/C car. It is possible this was not an SS originally but if someone converted it to an SS from a standard than they sure went to a lot of effort to do it. There are no A/C markings on the factory heater controls and it is missing some of the A/C vents that my Regal had. But after 26 years who knows what I am dealing with here!

No plans yet, I just want to get this thing going.

I don't have any idea what to tell you on that one. When I put the motor back together I went by the service manual and I set the rockers just like the directions said. They seem fine to me. No excess play at all.

I spent some time out in the garage last night and for the first time the 5.3 was slid into the Monte and bolted up to the trans! It looks awesome in there. And it also looks like the truck intake WILL clear the hood, that is awesome news. The Dirty Dingo motor mounts are going to work but I need to trim them up a bit before I weld the frame mounts in place and bolt everything together.

[​IMG]#ad

The bad news is that the truck oil pan is WAY too deep to work on the street. The nearest speed bump would be just waiting to rip the pan wide open. I have found a couple of different pans that I think will work to replace it.

[​IMG]#ad

From the front.

[​IMG]#ad

The drivers side exhaust manifold is going to be a challenge. I couldn't fit the truck manifold in there. The steering shaft is just too close. So that is something that has me sweating a little bit right now. But I know I can figure it out!

Stay tuned, more to come.

18. MONTEGOD7SS

If the 8th digit of the VIN is a G then it's a real SS. Since this is so similar to my SS, I will live vicariously through you until I can get the funds to do anything with mine. I'm interested to see how the accessories work out for you.

19. denmah

my truck pan is pretty damn low in my fairmont, i cant believe i haven't hit anything haha

you guys would shit if you saw how close it is to the ground

20. BlownShovel

I had an s10 4x4 sbc swap pan on a 350 I put in a 325 BMW. That baby was low. 3-4" and had a scuffle or two but would ding... Not shatter like I would expect the cast pans.