1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Project Copy Cat - '90 coupe 351W/76mm/MS DIYPNP

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by hoopty5.0, Apr 12, 2016.

1. nxcoupe

On my dual plug 4cyl they are going on the firewall.
    What did you use on the a/c compressor to make it look so good? I'm trying to clean up some aluminum parts that are oxidized and haven't found anything that works.

2. hoopty5.0

[​IMG]#ad

Oooooooowwweeeeee!

3. hoopty5.0

Brake parts cleaner! hahah I tried a couple of solvents I had in the garage and nothing worked. That worked like gang busters though. I ended up going over the compressor with a clear coat. This was the first coat, looks even better now with 4 coats!
    [​IMG]#ad

4. hoopty5.0

I remember seeing this now, pretty sure you gave me the idea to use the coils, haha. With the coild mounted so close to the tires, are you worried about water splashing? I drive mine a lot on road trips, etc. (Well, at least I did before the 351 and turbo debacle) so I'd like to make sure that it's safe in that regard.

I ended up stopping by the metal supermarket Friday and bought some 2x5x.125 aluminum angle. This is what I came up with, and as you can see, they're about 3 1/2" inches below the exhaust ports, right on top of the starter, pretty much. I'm going to give this a go, but I have enough material left to make a heat shield for the top as well. If it works, cool, if not, then on to plan B or C.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here's how far down they are:

[​IMG]#ad

The angle of the photo doesn't give any reference to the distance at all, but I really think they'll be fine.

5. Unatural

I used my Mustang as my daily driver for about 8 months out of last year, because my Jetta needed a bunch of work that I didn't feel like fixing. I drove it in torrential down pours MANY times, and have never run into an issue. The weather pack connectors have worked perfect.

hoopty5.0 likes this.
  6. hoopty5.0

[​IMG]#ad

Got the MS modified with 4 spark outputs now and cam/crank sensor input.

7. hoopty5.0

Man I’m behind on updates!

Got some parts back from Coatings by Coates:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

^^^ my downpipe looks like a large mammalian penis now. I really want to hire someone to redo it, but not in the cards right now

Also, I rewired my engine harness and connected the cam and crank sensors. For those, I cut off the factory MAP sensor plug and robbed the power and ground. I combined those with the TFI harness which I’m using two wires out of for signal returns to the ECM. Looks much cleaner now. (Below)

[​IMG]#ad

My low coil mounts ended up not fitting with the headers so that was a wasted day. Oh well, working on plan B and C right now.

Baby is scheduled to be induced on Sunday, so I’ll work as long as I can this week, but may not have much as far as updates for a bit.

8. Unatural

Just throw some exhaust wrap around the DP and be done with it. :2thumbs:

MCA and hoopty5.0 like this.
  9. captaingriffin

Looking good! What did they coat your headers with?

10. hoopty5.0

It’s a ceramic coating. That’s about all I know.

Probably going to be slow around here for a while, my daughter was born Monday evening.

[​IMG]#ad

I’d just about trade my car off for a nap.

MCA likes this.
  11. Mnlx

Congrats. The car will always be there, but they only grow up once.

12. Unatural

That's awesome man, congrats!

13. nxcoupe

Congrats! First time my daughter grabbed my finger with her little hand my life changed forever. Enjoy!

14. hoopty5.0

This build isn't dead! .....Although not much has happened, haha.

I wasn't able to get my parts back from powder coating when I wanted them, so I picked everything up and have been outfitting my garage to do all the coating myself. Got an oven, sand blasting cabinet, and HF coating gun. Powder has been ordered and just waiting (again).

I did end up mounting the coils down low on the K member and have yet to finish splicing the coil harnesses into the main engine harness. Maybe tonight? The wife and baby are going out and I'll have the house to myself for the first time in 2 months. I'll post some more pics as I get color on parts.

15. 92LX-5.8

How did you go about mounting the coils to the k-member?

16. hoopty5.0

Heh. Hose clamps.

To elaborate, the coils are still mounted to the aluminum, but I have 2 arms that I made to come off of the plate that sit flush on 2 of the K member tubes.

17. nxcoupe

Good to hear! Keep at it!

18. captaingriffin

Congratulations on your daughter!

19. hoopty5.0

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Ooooooooowweeeeeeeee!!!!!

20. nxcoupe

Man that stuff looks great. How did you get the striping on your coated valve covers?