1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Project Copy Cat - '90 coupe 351W/76mm/MS DIYPNP

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by hoopty5.0, Apr 12, 2016.

1. hoopty5.0

Thanks! I just brought the motor home today, hope to be running again by months end!

2. nxcoupe

That's great to hear! I have a 93 calypso coupe that I'm planning to do a 358 on3 to, but with a built 4r70w.

3. 1966Mustang

Who are you going to get the 4r70w built by? I’d love to get overdrive. Currently 302, 76mm, C4.

4. hoopty5.0

[​IMG]#ad

The new bullet!

1966Mustang likes this.
  5. nxcoupe

Dirty Dog. It's already done and sitting on the floor waiting for install

6. nxcoupe

Sweet! When are you assembling it?

7. hoopty5.0

My house is currently stacked in my garage because we are replacing the carpet this week. Once i get my space back, hopefully this weekend?

8. hoopty5.0

Today, for the first time in about a year, i entered my garage with the intent of working on my car.

...unfortunately, i didn’t get very far. I got the block painted (black) and cleaned the oil pump and pickup out. I need a new shaft, mine got bent somehow. Looks like it hit the crank too? Strange.

Also going to lightly sand the bottom plate of the pump. Nothing there that’ll catch a fingernail, but I’d feel better if it got sanded.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

9. nxcoupe

Are you using a high volume pump? I've seen those do some damage to driveshafts.

10. hoopty5.0

Nope, was standard.

I did go ahead and replace the pump and bought an ARP shaft. Last night, i was able to sneak out into the garage and get the bottom side finished and almost got the heads bolted down. Maybe tonight.

[​IMG]#ad

11. ss496

Becareful with that oil sending pipe sitting out in an unsupported cantilever arrangement.....watchout for cracks starting at the first thread near the block. Vibration and fatigue will take its toll

12. hoopty5.0

I'm not a fan of it either, but I needed an extension and that was the shortest one I could find. I'm definitely open for other suggestions! There is still A/C and P/S on the car too.

13. ss496

The factory extension doesnt fit with your accessories/setup? Otherwise you could go with a braided flex line to a "manifold"

14. hoopty5.0

I'll have to see. I forgot the exact reason why I put the extension on anyway. Shouldn't have any issues putting a tee on the factory piece. Just need a port for the sender and the turbo oil feed.

15. nxcoupe

Looking good!

16. hoopty5.0

[​IMG]#ad

Went to install the cam last night and noticed the intake lobe on #1 had a nasty gouge in it. After talking it over with a few folks, including the machine shop, I’m going to run it... i don’t really have any other options right now. Also, new lifters are on the way, no telling a what’s inside the old ones after the bearing let loose.

17. hoopty5.0

Got a new-used cam, installed it with my newly coated timing cover. Also threw on the trigger wheel I’ve had for a while. Not sure when I’ll get around to using it, but hey, it’s on at least.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Got a couple more parts to install before it goes back in the car for good!

18. Drac0nic

Just as an option, you may call around and see about getting the lobe welded and reground.

19. ewoogy

Looking good! Too bad you couldn't make it out to the track this past weekend, I was a great turnout and great weather. My car loved the cool weather! Got my fastest MPH yet.

hoopty5.0 likes this.
  20. hoopty5.0

I got another cam from a buddy. No time to fix right now, trying to get it running before the baby comes!

Drac0nic likes this.