1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Project Copy Cat - '90 coupe 351W/76mm/MS DIYPNP

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by hoopty5.0, Apr 12, 2016.

1. 5.0thunder

Lol at least it was something easy man.. and in the process you verified that like everything else was okay. hah

2. hoopty5.0

Yep. Time to start tightening the screws to this thing and see what it will do. I need a clutch though. This one isn't getting it done, haha

3. 5.0thunder

Seems like you've probably been doing most of the work on the VE table right? Have you turned Accel Enrichment on yet? I was doing some tuning last night and simply turned it on and the car died. LOL gotta get that one figured out.

4. hoopty5.0

When I started messing with it, it did the same thing, haha. I'll post my settings that a buddy made for me and you can fine tune yours from there if you want?

5. 5.0thunder

Sure. I think mine still has the base tune (factory 5.0) settings so probably way off but either way i'll have to verify whether it'll need some modification with 80lb injectors and e85. I feel like it shouldn't have died at idle but who knows.

6. hoopty5.0

It's definitely difficult. I have 80# injectors too, so hopefully it's not too far off. Mine still needs work, but I have plenty of time to mess with it now, LOL.

[​IMG]#ad

7. 5.0thunder

Cool, thanks!

8. Forcefed86

Glad you got it figured out! Don't forget to read those plugs now that it's making some power! :cheers:

9. hoopty5.0

Definitely! I'm going to use the MSD box, open the plug gap, and probably go one heat range colder. After that I'm really going to need some fine tuning advice to get this thing making some steam. It's running good, but still under what it should be.

10. hoopty5.0

Or.... not.

[​IMG]#ad

11. Unatural

12. Donhodaddy

Oh hell no! Looks like a lot of glitter!!! What happened?

13. hoopty5.0

Ate a bearing it seems. Never lost oil pressure.

Put a bus length on a benz though hahahaha

14. hoopty5.0

Got a new (to me) short block on the way for $150. Swapping on top end and keeping the party going.

15. 5.0thunder

Lol that's the way to do it!

16. hoopty5.0

Oh, here's a video of me beating on it after the rod started knocking yesterday. I say I don't think the motor was hurt in the video, but it's hard to deny a knocking sound, haha. I just wanted one good run out of it before it all gets torn down again for who knows how long.

&t=12s[/url]

17. Donhodaddy

That sucks man! And it sounded so good spooling up! I sure didn't hear any knock.

18. ewoogy

If you to use the guy who built my engine to go through yours let me know. He has been building race engines since before either one of us was alive lol. He is retired now and does it out of a shop in his backyard so he is really reasonable on what he charges. Nice shop too, not shade tree stuff. Just not the fastest but he does great work and lots of attention to detail.

19. hoopty5.0

I'm just going to stick the short block in as it sits for now I think. Once I get bored with this power level I'll probably build something bigger if needed.

I've also learned that planning out a build is pointless. I get distracted really easily LOL

20. hoopty5.0

Tore down the 351 today and sent it all off for powder coating. Made a time lapse in the process, but the editing software is new to me. I'll get the hang of it soon.

https://youtu.be/uGHLKTmKHxM