1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

project boosted thirdgen.....

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by BOOSTEDROK, Aug 6, 2012.

1. BOOSTEDROK

IMG_3759.JPG #ad
    Pretty bummed, spent about 7 hours at the track today.. weather sucked, it rained on and off all day, I only got two hits in. Car is still struggling up around 5,500rpm, I'm beginning to think it's floating the valves. I datalogged the pass, an in hi gear @ 5,300-5,700 the rpm graph looks like a wave. Everything seems to stay pretty flat, boost, afr, timing, etc, etc.. but the damn rpm is bouncing around between 5,300-5,700 and not climbing at all.. does this seem like valve float?

2. BOOSTEDROK

image.jpg #ad
    Rpm is the white

3. BOOSTEDROK

Received my AFR 8019 springs today, summit typically ships in 1 day to my house which is awesome. Started yanking valve covers & spark plugs to do the spring install & noticed I have yet another plugged up injector. Plug on #6 cylinder is brand new looking, like it's never even seen a drop of fuel.. kinda crazy to think, I just ran 10.20 on 7 cylinders & low boost!

Anyone got any cleaning tricks/tips? Would like to see about getting them cleaned & flowed too

4. BOOSTEDROK

5. BADASS355CIZ28

6. Hemann

Look up Eric Derr. He does them at a good price. I have had 3 sets done by him. Fast turn around and good communication.

7. BOOSTEDROK

Thanks man I'll look him up

8. BOOSTEDROK

IMG_3801.JPG #ad
    IMG_3797.JPG #ad

Spring swap went pretty well, except I broke one keeper!! Called up AFR to order a couple this morning, they gladly shipped me 4 free of charge. I purchased these heads 7 years ago, it's great to know that there are still company's out there that stand but their product, & support the people who purchase their products (even years later). Trying to have it running monday or tuesday, looking to make a 1/8mi hit next Thursday!

flyinhillbilly likes this.
  9. warpig

Funny you say that, I had an HVC2 and my brother grabbed the distributor and screamed like a girl. I never laughed that hard.

10. BOOSTEDROK

Spoke with Eric today, nice guy, seems to have a fair price. I'm hoping to ship him my set of 8, & the couple extras I have lying around Friday.

11. archy355

honestly what it looks like to me is a bad tach signal. i fucked around and torched one set of pistons trying to get a clean tach signal and to have it stop breaking up in high rpm with my msd distributor to my ms1. you can try turning on some of the noise filtering setting in the ms3 to try and help out. what i ended up doing it buying a holley crank sensor setup with the hall effect sensor and now it has a nice smooth rpm tach signal when data logging. they are a little pricey, like $250 or so, but alot cheaper than pistons and itll run alot better. you will have to space your pulleys about an 1/8 inch or so but i highly recommend it. we also installed a ms3 setup on my ole mans car with msd distributor and ended up having ati install magnets in the balancer and installing a crank sensor.

BOOSTEDROK likes this.
  12. BOOSTEDROK

Yes I agree 100%. I've been looking into them, Holley has a really nice 36-1 crank trigger it should give a much cleaner signal then the 8 tooth MSD dist. My ultimate goal would be to get crank & cam sensors, & run it COP..

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/hly-556-116

13. archy355

14. BOOSTEDROK

15. BOOSTEDROK

I'm currently waiting to hear back for Eric Derr, I shipped him my injectors last week. I'm kind of expecting to have a couple of them 1/2 clogged or so, 3 out of the 8 are less then a year old, & the remaining 5 are 7-8 years old. E85 for the last 5 years, those micro filters are probably toast!

16. BOOSTEDROK

IMG_4041.JPG #ad
    IMG_4042.JPG #ad
    IMG_4043.JPG #ad
    IMG_4044.JPG #ad
    IMG_4045.JPG #ad
    Eric derr called me Friday afternoon with the results of my injector cleaning & flowing. They had some variances in flow, he ultrasonic cleaned them a few times, & changed microfilters
    Ended up with a better flowing, more balanced set of injectors. I also sent him 3 injectors that I thought were junk & he revived & flowed them! Nice guy! I'm very happy with his services, & would recommend him to anyone

flyinhillbilly likes this.
  17. BOOSTEDROK

I installed the injectors last week some time. The car seems to start a little easier & it idles a hell of a lot smoother. Went for a blast down a deserted road & I still have the high end stumbling issue, but now it's running really lean (13-14ish) under boost. Something didn't seem right, so I added some fuel in the tune. No luck, continued to go lean. So I slapped on a fuel pressure gauge, fuel pressure was dropping from 43 to down in the 30's (10psi boost, fuel psi should be 53). I now knew I had some sort of blockage somewhere. I pulled the front fuel filter(25micron) the center filter cartridge looked like a twisted up black beer can, covered in what looked like black powder. Replacement filter & Holley 36-1 crank trigger on their way

18. BOOSTEDROK

IMG_0075.PNG #ad
    This is after I tried to straighten it. Fuel is e85 w/ Lucas additive.

19. BOOSTEDROK

Slapped in the new filter & went for a little blast, I now have 53 psi fuel pressure with boost:arco:, and a/f of 10.0. Tonight I'll go back into the tune and pull some fuel out of it. Waiting on the 36-1 crank trigger from Holley, should ship by late next week :doh:.. would like to get the ptc converter installed in the next few days, hopefully all ready for early may test n tune

Drac0nic likes this.
  20. BOOSTEDROK

Got the converter slapped in, took the car on a couple cruises the last few days, to double check fluid levels, & make sure everything seemed good before giving it hell.
    Pulled about 10% of fuel out, & took it out again tonight.. I beat on it pretty good, 3300 or so on the footbrake seems to make 3-4 psi. Converter flashes right up to around 45-4700 and holds the motor there through the gears, till what seems like 115mph (too fast for the street). The old converter would zing up to 5500+ in a heartbeat through all gears.
    Overall from what I can see so far on the street, the PTC converter is doing exactly what it should. Building boost quick, flashing up some, and then it seems to couple up very well @ 5k..
    Car is still running kinda fat (10.8,) I had a ton of fuel in it, before flowing the injectors, & finding the plugged fuel filter. I pulled another 4% and I will try it again sometime this weekend.
    :chacha: