1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

project boosted thirdgen.....

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by BOOSTEDROK, Aug 6, 2012.

1. BADASS355CIZ28

awesome man....I should be out with mine next year....car is away till spring since I just had distal bicep surgery. looking forward to more progress. btw ..what transmission are you running?

2. BOOSTEDROK

it's a th400 with a brake & rmvb

3. BADASS355CIZ28

Thankyou....keeping my options open if I ever decide to go with an auto.

4. BOOSTEDROK

Well was hoping to strap the car on the dyno, & see some good results, hoping the new cap & rotor solved my sputtering problem that I noticed @ the track. Made a ton of hits, best of 515hp @ 8.5 lbs.. car hated the dyno as always, popped & banged from 5k up.. its driving me crazy, a/f is dead solid 11.3, but something in the ignition is breaking up BAD. Closed the plugs down to .0024, it didn't help. So I brought the car back home, and proceeded to cuss! Megasquirts picking up noise, rotors out of phase, faulty MSD box!!! HELL IDK

5. BOOSTEDROK

Well last night I decided to go through all my plug wires & the coil wire.. the visual inspection was fine, no cracks, burn marks, broken wires. Then out came the multimeter, coil wire checked out good, 44 ohm per foot. MSD specs say below 50ohm per ft. Started on the plug wires themselves, measuring them & noting the lengths. When it came to the ohms, 3) of them were bouncing around like crazy 198,110,165,broken signal,199,broken signal, 150,145, nothing constant!! Set those 3) aside, & went on to checking the others, they all were within a few ohms per foot (40-44ohms) solid and steady!! I made 3) new wires, & they too ohm'ed in the 40-44 range, so now I have a solid set of 8) plugs wire, Haven't had a chance to drive the car, but, Seems to me, like I might of found my ignition problem!!

So my question to you guys, has anyone experience this when ohming wires, has it improved the performance or helped misfire issues?

6. BOOSTEDROK

IMG_2967.jpg #ad

New rad came in last night.

IMG_2967.jpg #ad

7. BOOSTEDROK

IMG_2970.jpg #ad

IMG_2971.jpg #ad

For comparison, should help!!

IMG_2971.jpg #ad

IMG_2970.jpg #ad

8. BOOSTEDROK

IMG_2992.jpg #ad

Griffin 31x19 w/ 2 spal 12" fans

IMG_2992.jpg #ad

9. Monzsta

It's been a long time since I've ohm'd out wires but I do remember getting my butt kicked a few times by one.

When you're boosted it puts a huge load on the ignition system. Electricity will follow the path of least resistance. One time I was working on an engine and I was having a hard time understanding why a vacuum line was shocking me and sparking to ground. The damn thing had been laying across an ignition wire and wore the insulation enough to create a path. Come to find out black rubber hose is fairly conductive, due to the carbon in it. Blew my mind pretty good that day.

10. vwdave

Everything is conductive with enough voltage. :p

11. BOOSTEDROK

Well After scratching my head & chasing my tail for a month, changed cap & rotor, adjusted the rotor phasing, omh'd plug wires, changed the tune around 1000 different times, adjusted trim pots in the ms3, new 150amp alternator, & just last night I threw the ngk Non resistor plugs in the trash. Tossed in a set of ngk iridium "RESISTOR" plugs, per the ms3 manual & waalaa, idles clean, accelerates perfect, drives smooth through the cruise zone, like a new car, & gets 7 kinds of shitty through all 3 gears when matted... I'm happy to say the least, no doubt it'll go 9's next time out.

64nailhead likes this.
  12. Raptor6.2

Cool build! After finally getting my Firebird out halfway through the season last year and struggling with every issue imaginable, I did end up with a few time slips almost identical to yours. I have yet to make a good pass, and I know there is a lot more left in it. Can't wait for spring!

13. BOOSTEDROK

Thanks man, we have a test n tune at our local track in early feb.. I'm really hoping to go 9.90 if not 9.80

14. BOOSTEDROK

I'm considering a new converter, jakes, circle d,
    Or ptc.. current slip is in the 17-19 range. I'm hoping a New converter would easily bring me into the 9.8-9.90 range. Anyone have any luck/experience with these companies?

15. 302coupe

I went 8.12 at 166 with my ptc I loved it. nice build by the way.

16. BOOSTEDROK

im leaning towards the 9.5 ptc, they been dragweek 2000hp tested.. should handle my little baby 600rwhp no prob

17. BOOSTEDROK

IMG_3592.jpg #ad
    hopefully this will help it pull through the top end stronger!!

IMG_3592.jpg #ad

18. BlownShovel

A good coil will do wonders at all rpm's I had a blaster coil that seemed fine - when i upgraded to the HVC - wow I could not believe the drive around and at full boost rpm difference it made. That said be sure not to grab the dizzy when running one of these ;-)

19. BOOSTEDROK

Yeah I'm really hoping so, gonna try and make some hits this Sunday weather permitting. I would like to see 9.80 or so on only 10psi.. I wanna try and make the car WORK well, before I just go cranking the boost to it.

20. BlownShovel

Godo luck - Hope the weather cooperates and you can get some test hits in