1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Project 13 second 1993 Mustang LX 351w High Port BG Turbo Team Z

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 5.0calypso93lx, Aug 24, 2010.

1. 5.0calypso93lx

Check out the first pic, it is under the pinch weld.

And I don't run 15" wheels so everything clears fine. I run 17" 99 Cobra's (for now).

2. Djstorm100

route the whole throttle cable UNDER everything make a gaint flat S shape

3. Chris91LX

Nice build. Looks like the B&G kits have the same challenges for everyone. :) Subscribing.

4. Stangguy

Un hook that damn cruise control cable and all will be fine.

5. 5.0calypso93lx

HAHA, aint gonna happen!!! Street car!

I got it fixed last night. I mounted the spacer with the holes at the bottom and slid the bracket all the way up. It's much better now and the throttle is closing all the way. We'll just have to see how it does when I get it running I guess.

6. AllOut84

Nice build.. how's it coming along got it running yet?

7. 5.0calypso93lx

Got some bad news as far as that goes. Gonig to get the car fired up NA. I now have every part I need to get it fired up and driving, just need to find some time to work on the car.

I've had a bunch of parts show up, but I've been on vacation all last week so haven't made much progress.

Really trying to sell this R upper and move to a box upper.

I did get a set of headers to work and now need to see if a standard mid pipe will bolt up.

8. 1BAD6T6

Time to whip out the chop saw and welder! LOL :welder:

That's why I built mine N/A first. With two munchkins I don't have a whole lot of time to work on it, not the :spend: Ordered my hotside stuff and the intercooler so I should start my build here shortly.

Curious, why the change to the Box Upper versus the R?

9. 5.0calypso93lx

I don't have kids, but don't have much time either. Plus this cold weather doesn't help my motivation. Between just wanting to hear the car run again and this AEM setup, are the main reasons I went back to NA for now.

I want the Box upper because the lower will not clear my fuel rails without a spacer That and the fact that I think the standard R upper would provide too much low and mid range torque and would make the car difficult to handle on the street. The Box will move the powerband up and should make it simpler to drive on the street.

10. 85fox

I hate winter time and I live in Texas! I cant imagine trying to work on a car up there in the winter. Are you still hoping to have the car done for TX2k11? Also how much are you wanting for the R intake?

11. 5.0calypso93lx

I'm going to try my best. I've got some big things going on right now in my personal life, so not sure how everything is going to turn out. I'm wanting to get $250 shipped for the upper.

12. 1BAD6T6

I actually want the low end torque. I've got a 5.8 Vic EFI. Thinking about selling it to get me back to a lower range. Would you be interested in a trade. Shoot me a PM.

13. 5.0calypso93lx

Which one is it? I'm not too familiar with your intake, shoot me some pics if you have some.

14. 1BAD6T6

I'll shoot you a PM.

15. 5.0calypso93lx

Don't have a whole lot to update here.

I was really set on keeping the power steering on the car until I bought my MR2 that had factory delete power steering and I could hardly tell. After feeling two foxes with the flaming river racks in them I decided to ditch the power steering. Crazy how little there is in the engine bay right now.

I also went with some shorter springs up front as I didn't like how high the car was on the 14" springs, with the coilovers adjusted all the way down. In these pics, I still have room to go down further and I don't have the trans, fluids and a few other small items still needed to install on the front so it should come down even more:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Coilpacks also are now mounted on the valve covers. Besides the power steering pump now being gone this is what the engine bay looks like:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Got the diff cover powdercoated and installed:

[​IMG]#ad

16. ants93notch

any updates?

17. 5.0calypso93lx

Unfortunately not a whole lot. I'm buying a house right now so all my time has been taken up with that. I should be closing within the next week or two so I'll be glad when this is all over.

I did pick up a 3550 to throw in the car and it's now at a local shop getting that put in as well as the spindles drilled out for the MM bump steer kit.

I swapped back to my old Team Z drop k member to try and get the 351w lower in the car again now that the turbo kit has been sold. While doing this, I found that the fuel lines are worse than I thought(crushed them behind the k member when I first installed it. Didn't realize the lines were between the k member and frame rails when I was tightening the bolts....). The return line is completely crushed and the feed line is pretty flat. I tried to "uncrush" them, but they didn't budge. I'm debating on doing a fuel system right now or just buy the classic tube prebent stainless lines just to get the car running quicker.

I'm picking up the rest of the exhaust for the car tonight and after that there's really not any more parts I need to get the car fired up and start tuning.

Got a Taurus fan and it's a lot wider than I thought. There's a nice crack in the shroud which I wasn't too happy about so I'm going to try and epoxy it up and somehow trim this shroud so it fits the radiator better.

Other than a few basic items like hoses, t-stat, serp belt and figuring out someway to route the coolant lines along the passenger side of the lower manifold there isn't a whole lot left to do. O, I also need to have brake lines made up from the hard lines along the axle tubes to the calipers themselves. I also ended up stripping the threads in the body at the rear of the car where the rear brake line off the axle threads in. Pretty sure MM sent me the wrong banjo bolt...

I need to figure out what plugs to put in this thing. SInce it's going to be on the motor, I'm not real sure which ones to get?? Anyone have any ideas?

18. mcj50

I missed this from when you posted it. Just read the whole thread and had a flashback of smoke pouring out of my dash at 150 mph+!

A fire extinguisher is one option. Wearing a diaper and dealing with it is the other option.

I ended up having the whole exhaust and downpipe tweaked, an extra v band put in, and re-coated and wrapped the whole thing. Seems to be fine now but haven't made 3 hard passes like a true street race together yet.

Sorry to hear you postponed the turbo setup, your build was looking great. The house purchases have slowed me up over the years too....give it some time and get back at it!

19. ants93notch

Buying a house is a very time consuming process. My family and I are going to FL at the end of the month to look at homes, meet with a new potential employer, and spend some time at the beach. Congtarulations with your purchase and hopefully all goes well with your closing. What other kits have you considered for your car?

20. ants93notch

nervermind, what I said aboput buying a new turbo setup. I reread your post and see that you didn't sell the kit.