1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Problems with my HP kit

Discussion in 'Turbo Kit Feedback, Shop and Product Reviews' started by gaslight, Mar 27, 2004.

1. gaslight

Yeah, I was feeling the same way for quite a while.

2. PaulF

Hey gaslight-

Where in Maine are you? I live in Ellsworth. I didn't expect to see another Mainer on here.

I'm moving to Charlotte N.C. at the end of July though.

3. tommyhil4_6

Went and picked up my tubing at Fed Ex today... One of the head managers was there catching up and some how I got his extension. Wasn't supposed to let me in the facility but I got it after being checked by security :)

4. gaslight

Security? where the heck did you pick it up? The airport?

5. tommyhil4_6

Fedex base facility... size of like 5 football fields with like 500 diesels lol..... The main sort facility for Utah I think.... HUGGGEEE

6. gaslight

we call those Hubs. You are luck to get in and get your stuff on a saturday. You are also luck that they found it.

7. tommyhil4_6

I figured hey i'm bored lets give fedex a ring real quick..... Call and get this nice guy by the name of Derek, ask him if I can come get it. Asked what it was and told him it was my turbo kit. He's like "is it HP? Theye're one of my clients, just came here 4 days ago from roswell." He hooked me up, said they usually don't do it for people, but he'd make an exception!! :)

8. gaslight

sounds like a sales person for the company. You were luck to get ahold of the right person.
    I still think Fedex sucks.

9. DC-GT

:(

10. zelone

...so my pipes arrived yesterday...

I started installing the headers. So far, theres been some minor fitment issues, but I guess its to be expected. Most have been solved with a BFH. I do have one header bolt that is a real problem. I had to beat the header in a little to be able to get a bolt through, and the supplied bolt wouldnt work, I went and bought a package of Mr. Gasket Allen head bolts that were shorted then the HP supplied bolts. Even with the shorter bolts, I still cant get an Allen wrench on it because of the header tube clearence. I plan to buy the Allens with the rounded end to try that. The coating and the welds all look good - no complaints. Everything was wrapped up nice too. I am pretty sure I gouged the coating on a few spots while putting the pipes in.:rolleyes: , but oh well. My trans cooler seems fine the way it is mounted, but I will need to get some type of covering for various lines, and hoses to protect them from the heat. I cut the hole in the inner fender also, wasnt too bad, until the sawzall vibrated the makeshift hoodprop out and the hood fell on me. The latch left a nice welt on my back,:(

Hopefully today, finish cleaning up the rough edges around the hole, and get the rest of the hot side done. I am also trying to figure out how the supplied silicone hose that goes from the turbo outlet will fit on the pipe to the intercooler??? Looks like theres no way it will fit. I will try to take some pics of that too.

11. gaslight

Re: ...so my pipes arrived yesterday...

Damn that had to hurt.
    I didn't have any problems fitting my headers in but my friend had minor problems. Each car is different and Ford was trying to make these as cheap as possible so there are some definite variations from car to car. In other words Poor Quality was Job 1.
    I used some ARP stainless 12 point header bolts. The only one that was a little difficult was cylinder #2.
    I did move the relays and wires that are near the turbo header. I moved them inside the fender. That turbo gets real hot and will melt anything that is too close. I had some convulted tubing under the turbo and the tubing started to curl.
    Hope the rest of it goes off without a hitch. You are gonna love the power.:D

bridal-shoal