1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Problems with my HP kit

Discussion in 'Turbo Kit Feedback, Shop and Product Reviews' started by gaslight, Mar 27, 2004.

1. zelone

Heres 2 more pics. I know they are a little off topic but they were part of the discussion above.

Custom made center console:

And, I installed the trans cooler. From the looks of Briane's picture, it should hit the crossover tube. If so I will have to relocate it again. Pic:

Let me know what you guys think.

2. smokedu

Zelone,
    Looks good, I like the card board idea on the rad:tu: One of those How come I didnt think of that? I bought my kit after we got rained out on the first try of the TM shootout. I dont remember exactly but my kit was right on time. For the record I also have the bolt on clamp instead of the spring clip.
    BlackMagic94 your out of control:D
    Derick

3. zelone

Thanks for the compliments.

So far I have tried every tool I own to get that dam spring clip in there. The only thing that almost worked was a small hose clamp that I kept tightening on the clamp. It got pretty far until the hose clamp shot off and almost took my eye out! I am going to the store today to try and find the correct pliers for the clamp, its not worth losing an eye for not having a $15 set of snap ring pliers.

4. gaslight

Call HP and they can explain how to put it togther. Use some channel locks. They said it is easy to put togther. Mine is a 66mm that goes togther just like Briane's.
    Only took my car around the block on Monday night after dark and goosed it once. Haven't had time to take it out again. I adjusted the fuel pressure and timing. The idle surges up and down which also happened last year when I put on new heads and cam. The computer has to relearn some things because it has be disconnected for a few months. gotta take it out tomorrow and beat on it a little. The car show is Sunday so I'm glad I finally got everything back togther in time. Love my Lunar gauges!

5. SoL_93GT

Looks good, what kind of radiator is that and how much did you pay for it?

6. SoL_93GT

Good to hear you got it going, are you going to dyno it now?

7. zelone

Thanks Bri. The rad is an Afco, I bought it through Dynamic Racing on eBay for around $190. It is a direct fit with petcock, and correct size tubing for hoses on a Mustang. He also had one, same size, but with lower tube slightly angled up and no petcock for like $169.

gaslight, I tried a large pair of channel locks...no way! When that clip slips out of the channel locks, it wants to take an eye out. I was literally standing on it while trying to use the channel locks and it actually jolted me up when it slipped out. I also tried vise grips, actual vise, and a hose clamp. The hose clamp got it the farthest, but eventually the hose clamp shot off there like a bullet.

8. turbomut

I used larged channel locks to get the clip on. its very tricky, the spring poped out a couple of times.what I think I did was I made sure that the clip was in the housing mostly then tried to get the rest in with the pliers. its hard to explain but u should be able to get it on with the pliers.

9. gaslight

well don't loose an eye!

Took the car out and drove about 25 miles today. Sounds like one of the plugs isn't properly firing. Could also be that the valves aren't properly adjusted. The car won't idle so I have to keep messing with the throttle. It wants to die when you come to a stop or are slowly downshifting.
    I will say that the car SCREAMS now when you stomp on it and it makes some serious noise. Went out and got a fresh tank of 93 octane. Damn the price of gas sucks!

10. tom351

i dont know if id be stomping on it until all those problems are fixed....

11. gaslight

Yeah I know. Don't hear any detonation though. That problem seems to happen at lower RPMs.

12. SoL_93GT

My car is so damn loud I can't hear if it is detonating. I'm gonna reroute the wastegate back into the downpipe and put a Dynomax Ultraflo cat back on it to quiet it down. It's not much of a sleeper as loud as it is now.

Briane

13. Saleen91

when you do that, take some pics showing it.

14. SoL_93GT

aight.

15. gaslight

the power is SWEET! The power with this kit is awesome. I had 300hp NA before now I'm just wondering how much I have with 10PSI. She gets up and goes like a bat out of hell.
    Need to readjust the valves and get the car to idle. Gonna take a little brake from the car for at least a week so I can work on other things around the house and spend some time with my wife.

16. zelone

:pics?:

:pics-stfu

Lets see some pics! Is it worth the wait?

17. SoL_93GT

Sweet aight it? The best is on the interstate, you never have to downshift anymore, you just floor it at any rpm and it just goes. I'll never live without turbo powa again. Are you going to dyno test soon?

Briane

18. gaslight

double post

19. gaslight

I'll try to get to the dyno in a little while. I did actually downshift while going about 60 on the interstate when my friend pull up next to me. Downshifted and took off. Man the car seriously moves.
    Wish I had taken some pics while installing the kit. I can take some later when I replace the bumper cover and remove the inner fender lining .
    Right now been trying to contact VS Racing to get a Innovative wideband. Contacted him once but my subsequent emails keep being rejected. Will have to PM him here.
    Zelone, it is worth the wait! You gotta love the power of the turbo. My first power adder.

20. SoL_93GT

I was thinking about getting one of those too. It would be nice to be able to tune the car yourself, without going to the dyno.