1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Ponydown Stage II kit Feedback & Installation (Updated Dyno & Track Results)

Discussion in 'Turbo Kit Feedback, Shop and Product Reviews' started by pdp_93GT, Oct 19, 2006.

1. dps93coupe

Re: Ponydown Stage II kit Feedback & Installation (Updated Dyno & Track Results)

Where is the line running from the top of your wastegate?? I was told to leave it open?? Thanks

2. ziptie007

Re: Ponydown Stage II kit Feedback & Installation (Updated Dyno & Track Results)

A lawn more muffler. Now thats a classic. i would have never thought of that one.

3. pdp_93GT

The line on top of my wastegate is coming from the outlet side of the manual boost controller. The boost controller is from Ponydown Performance and holds steady. There are a few different ways to do this. I set mine up based on tial's instructions. The wastegate only needs to see boost so I used the brass 90 that once went from the throttle body to the oil filler neck. You then have three options:

No Boost Controller:
    Go from the fitting ahead of the throttle body and run the line to the port on the side of the wastegate. Then leave the top port open as shown in your picture.

Boost Controller Option A:
    Place the manual boost controller in line with the line that is running from the throttle body to the side port of the wastegate. Once again leave the top port open to atmosphere but make sure that you put the fitting in place on the top as shown in your picture.

Boost Controller Option B:
    Place a tee in the line going to the side wastegate port. Run a line from this tee to the inlet side of the manual boost controller. Then go from the outlet side of the manual boost controller to the top port on the wastegate.

I hooked mine up using Option B and with a 9lb spring in the wastegate I saw about 13 psi with the manual boost controller all the way open. Theoretically I should be able to crank it all the way down and see another 3 psi of boost. I don't really need to do this since I already have 550 hp at the wheels with 13 psi. Plus I switched from the dual flowmaster mufflers to a single 3" dynomax ultraflo and picked up another 1 psi of boost (14psi total). The turbo spools a lot quicker with the single 3" dynomax and the car is unbelievably quick.

4. pdp_93GT

Jeff, I was skeptical at first but I talked to 13oosted coupe and 79 Turbo Ghia who actually used the same setup and gave me some tips. I calculated the area of the opening on the 38mm wastegate and compared it to the openings in the muffler. There is a baffle inside the muffler that has (30) 1/4" diameter holes and and one long slot. The internal baffle had just enough open area. I drilled the eight 1/2" diameter holes in the face because there wouldn't be enough flow through the tiny holes. The opening in the slot of the internal baffle has opened up some and shifted due to the hot exhaust gases but everything seems to be holding up and it took a lot of the edge off of the noise. I was gettting a little too much attention from the wrong people with the open wastegate.

5. 13oosted coupe

Hey man glad to see that worked out for you . Looks good .
    :scratch: I thought I had seen a set up like that some where.

6. dps93coupe

Thanks for the boost control help, I will be going to Houston to get the car tunned next friday.

7. 79 Turbo Ghia

Ben

If you get time, and feel like it lets tack weld the sides of the wastegate muffler, years ago, mine blew in half after awhile of heavy use, put a new one on it, tacked it on the seams never had a problem. Here's a pic of the muffler I built with my new set-up(leftmost pc.), and you never hear the exhaust from the gate, with no boost creep so far at 12-14 psi. It's base on the same design as a 3/4" lawnmower muffler.

8. .347_stang

good looking build!

I didnt get a chance to read the full thread because I have to get running but I will check it out.

any numbers?

9. ziptie007

Looking good. I'm hoping to get my kit built in the next month or so. You'll just have to woop some cars for me in the mean time.... :2thumbs:

10. pdp_93GT

347_Stang: Thanks. My dyno sheet is posted on page 2 of this thread about midway down. I made 552 hp and 566 tq @ 13psi
    on a mustang dyno. The combo has more power in it but I don't want to push the stock block any further.

Jeff: The car has been waiting for a transmission since the end of December. I received the clutch and flywheel last week
    and the new transmission will be here this week. I am also switching to a 50mm wastegate. Hopefully by the end of March,
    I will be making up for lost time on the street.:drive:

11. 50KING

whoa now you have to tell the world that that block is the world famous 5.0 KING block, lol omg ben i can't believe that you are making that much power on a stock block and this is hands down the best build write up i have read... you have me sold i am over here in h-town and i am drooling... its time for me to get my project together

I want to know though if i wanted a twin turbo setup to stick up out of my hood could the guy who built yours build mine the way i want it to be built

12. 50KING

now i just found jerrys car,,, you 2 have some sort of club going and you have to have a turbo to be in it or what lol

thats it i am calling my grandma... Lege is back in the racing game

[move][glow=red,2,300]5.0 King 2nd comming is about to be upon us all!!!!!!!!![/glow][/move]

:2thumbs:

13. pdp_93GT

You don't have to have a turbo but as far as power adders go it would be my first pick. If I were you, I would call Jeff up and see if he can accomodate your desire to have the twin turbos peaking out of the hood.

Keep me posted on your project. It would be great to see your car back on the streets again. Just plan ahead, you see what kind of power this combination is making and it is detuned. The one thing I would recommend is to maybe go with an aftermarket block so that you will have room for future growth. :cool:

However, if you want to go the budget route, you see how well Jerry's car is doing with the stock stuff and only 9 psi.

14. mostdef

This build is great!!! Love to see some videos of it in action!!!

15. jaywill

x2 :2thumbs: