1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Ponydown Stage II kit Feedback & Installation (Updated Dyno & Track Results)

Discussion in 'Turbo Kit Feedback, Shop and Product Reviews' started by pdp_93GT, Oct 19, 2006.

1. mustang_eas

Re: Ponydown Stage II kit Feedback & Installation (Updated)

Where in TX are you located???

2. turbo50

Are you running any type of chip at this moment? Looks awesome by the way :2thumbs:. I've got the same turbo kit for my 1989 notch :)

3. pdp_93GT

SVO GT40: Let me wash the car and I will submit a few pics. It has been in the garage for about a month and has a combination of dust, grease, and sweat. Luckily no blood this time.

mustang eas: I am located in SE Texas.

turbo50: I am using an SCT chip that was tuned for my previous combo which was a vortech supercharger at 18 psi. I am currently using the MSD 6BTM to pull about 3 degrees of timing on top of that. Right now my total timing advance is around 20 degrees BTDC during WOT. I think I may need to add some timing but I will find out when the car goes to the dyno for a retune.

4. turbo50

cool! Cant wait to see the dyno numbers :2thumbs:

5. 79 Turbo Ghia

Turbo50

I just talked to Ben on the phone, I'm not going to spill his beans, but his dyno numbers are impressive. Their at the point of scattering the block. Damn, I need to sabotage his car, being he only lives acouple miles from me, and I'm running a 2.3T, I can't let let him get away with this, LOL. Maybe he'll post soon with the details.

6. ziptie007

hey pm me the numbers pleaseeeeee. lol

7. pdp_93GT

I took the car to the dyno on Friday and on the fourth pull it made 552 hp and 566 tq at the rear wheels on a Mustang dyno. I posted the dyno sheet below. Everyone there was impressed with the power and how quickly the turbo spooled. It has 394 ft.lbs at just 3000 rpms. The average torque is 524 ft.lbs. This was with 13 psi and 20 degrees total timing. We could have went further but didn't want to hurt the stock block.

If you save the image below to your computer and then open it with Microsoft office picture manager, you can zoom in and see the values a little better.

8. pdp_93GT

Saturday night I went to the track and on the third pass ran a 11.39 @ 128.4 mph. This was with a 1.85 sixty foot on 17" MT Drag radials. I just need to work on getting the car off of the line better and the et should improve. Unfortunately on the fourth attempt the clutch went up in smoke. Now I need to install a new clutch. :(

9. ziptie007

Re: Ponydown Stage II kit Feedback & Installation (Updated Dyno & Track Results)

Nice to see the dyno sheet and hear the track times. Don't feel bad on the 60ft times thats what my yellow notch pulled when I put on my first tt kit. Before that i was pullin 1.55 60ft times. Its that low end torqe that hits so hard.... But its nice to see the numbers. How many miles did you have to drive to the track?

10. 79 Turbo Ghia

Re: Ponydown Stage II kit Feedback & Installation (Updated Dyno & Track Results)

Zip

I think Ben will do alot better with a new clutch package, my personal opinion is that that clutch was on it's way out and was holding him back. The kits making some power and torque, now Ben's gotta get it to the ground, and I think he'll do it with what he's going to put in it. :2thumbs:

11. pdp_93GT

Jeff, The drive to the track was about 40 miles one way and the only problems that I had were the clutch problem and my electric fan didn't want to act right after my second pass. I think I just need to sort out a minor wiring issue. You will have to give me some tips on how to cut down on the short times. You are right about the low end torque it is there in abundance.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Pat and thanks for pointing me in the right direction on the routing of the lines to the wastegate and BOV. I can't wait to see how your car does once you get everything the way that you want it. :cool:

12. ziptie007

ya I'll have to have a call with you to see how your suspension is setup. You did mention that the car is lowered and I would imagine its with a set of springs set up for handleing. If so then its hard to get a car to hook real hard with those springs.

13. pdp_93GT

Here's a picture of the car as requested. I'll take a few more when I get a chance.

14. 91redmustang

Man... absolutely, love the sleeper look!

15. pdp_93GT

Thanks, I like to maintain the stealth look as much as possible. I'm not sure what the yellow R/T 10 Viper thought about it when I showed him the tailights on the highway today. :1st:

16. ziptie007

I love that comment. I should put quotes around it and put it on the website :2thumbs:

17. SVO GT40

Lookin good Ben, I likey!! :D

18. Renagade306

Man thta great. glad everthing is working out, fun to drive????

19. pdp_93GT

The car is a blast to drive and has power on demand. You don't even have to go full throttle and the turbo spools up and you are going places fast. The car is also fairly quiet through the flowmasters. Well it was quiet until I took the mufflers off tonight and went for a ride. It's a wicked sound running through an open downpipe. I picked up almost 2 lbs of boost just by taking the mufflers off. I am planning to put a 3" dynomax ultraflo on this week. Hopefully it will tone the sound down but still maintain good flow. The car sounded good with the flow masters but obviously they were a little restrictive.

I also built a muffler for the wastegate this weekend and it took some of the edge off of the sound. I went to Lowe's and bought a muffler for a 8-16 hp lawnmower. I also bought a short 3" piece of 1-1/2" O.D. pipe from an auto parts store and ordered a 38mm flange from VS racing. I driiled eight 1/2" diameter holes in the face of the muffler and then had everything welded up. I bolted it on and the open wastegate was tamed without any boost creep.

20. mustang_eas

Lawnmower muffler,,,, Awesome :2thumbs:

bridal-shoal