1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Pic of HP's intercooler on SN95

Discussion in 'Turbo Kit Feedback, Shop and Product Reviews' started by BlackMagic94, Dec 31, 2003.

1. mclfln

LOL,
    why do some people take comments about a turbo kit so personally. You act like we are insulting your mother. Get over it.
    Like I said before, you are happy with your kit. That is all that matters for you. You don't have a problem with the piping hanging so low, I do, others would also. So chill out before you have a stroke.

Matt

2. Snipe656

Matt, in all honesty I think you are in the minority on that issue. I do not mean that as a stab because I am in the same minority. The majority of the people I see on here, they do not care if their IC tubing is exposed like that, just like a majority do not care if they have to do some cutting/relocating/removing/bending of things just as long as they get whatever kit they bought on the car, then they are very happy because of the performance(I guess that is the reason).

It is not a bad thing at all to be in the majority or the minority, just something I have noticed in the people on here since the very beginning of this forum.

As long as the owner of the car is happy, that is all that really matters, We all have our opinions and a lot of times they conflict, but I am sure we can get past that and share in the "hobby".

3. gaslight

I would just be worried about scraping that piping on the ground pulling in and out of places. My car already scrapes going into some gas stations and other area that have an incline. Remember thats alot of money hanging down there and you won't be happy if you damage it(at least I wouldn't be).
    A couple of people are just pointing out that it hangs down a bit low and you could have some problems. They have also expressed in the past that some people don't like that look for whatever reason. Don't take it personally but you might want to tinker with it a bit to gain some clearance and avoid some future damage.

4. BlackMagic94

It does not scrape on speed bumps or curbs. I like the look of it myself because it shows up more than just looking in and seeing a half inch of intercooler fins.

5. gaslight

thats good. I'm just worried about my own car. Like I said it scrapes the underside of the bumper cover or that black piece behind it. Car sits too damn low. I did a little cosmetic damage to my bassani cats a short while after installation while crossing a speed bump.
    I hope when I get a HP kit that I can tuck that intercooler up higher than yours or I will be in trouble.

6. 034v

Looks familiar.. But very good:D

7. BlackMagic94

My car has a 1.5" lowering kit on it, how low are you?

8. 034v

The car above has a 2 inch drop.. It's a buddy of mine's car.. He scrapes the hell out of the pipe when he comes out of an inclined drive, or hits a good dip... That cooler was a PITA to put in, we actualy had to trim the bumper support inward about ½ an inch and then re-weld a custom "L" bracket back in it's place.. It is also a custom 3 core, with inlet and outlet on the same side..

9. gaslight

Not sure because the previous owner lowered it. He gave me a lot of the receipts. They were listed as 'sport' springs from Mustangs Unlimited. Too low if you ask me. I should try and look up the part number.
    Ordered my HP kit today!

10. Dustyn5.02.5

Could have been Steeda Sport springs but there drop is around 1.25 with insulators.

11. Yellow1995Cobra

black magic, what exactly needs to be cut/fabricated to install the kit?

12. BlackMagic94

You cut the passenger fender open to fit the turbo piping and that is it. The intercooler is easier to install if you remove the front bumper for fitting, but other than that it takes 5 minutes to bolt it in place and you dont even have to drill holes to do it. It mounts to the hood hinge plate.

13. Yellow1995Cobra

Oh thats it!? Sounds easy enough. i have my front bumper off already anyways. Im pretty close to ordering an HP kit. Talked to tom today, and will be ordering mon/tues.

14. Snipe656

Was it the IC or something else that interfered with the AC lines?

15. BlackMagic94

Its the location of the turbo, the pressure lines would go right into the turbine,

This will be correctled shortly when HP gets Nathans car to a a/c shop to have custom bent lines made to clear the turbocharger.

16. TurboChargedPower

The shop car goes to the A/C shop Monday to get the lines made and they will be shipped out to all SN95 owners and included in the kit from this point on.

Don't really know what to say about the I/C location. BlackMagic 94's car wasn't the prototype; our shop car was and we have shipped several other 94-95 kits since. As can be seen in the photo of the shop car, the I/C is not visible below the bumper and we haven't had any problems hitting anything. We've also heard from a '95 owner who said his I/C fit in very easily and didn't show below the bumper. However, we have even had a couple of Fox bodies that the I/C showed a little. It might be that BlackMagic 94's car may have something different about it, but we have seen his work in the many photos he has sent to us and he seems to be very particular about the details and is doing things the right way, so we just don't know what the deal is. However, he is happy with the way it looks. It sure lets you know that there is something different behind that front facia and the car's performance backs it up!

17. 93Turbo331

I'd like to chime in a little here... not sure if your kit was like this also, but the bracket that bolts to the hood flange on my intercooler has like a 1" slot. Meaning you can slide the intercooler up or down before bolting it tight. I personally kept mine at its lowest setting and it shows a little like BlackMagic's but I wanted that in order to expose as many fins as possible to the opening on the bumper cover. FWIW this is on a 93 GT not an SN-95 but its the same principle, and even if your mounting bracket didn't have the 1" vertical slot, it would be cake work to make a slot yourself to move the intercooler up or down... so its really nothing to worry about... ok.. game on. :D

-Aaron

18. BlackMagic94

It has to do with clearing the bumper supports, the top intercooler pipe cannot go any higher or it will hit the support. Besides if i raised it more, it would just have the tank gettting direct air instead of the core which is better.

19. 93Turbo331

Yea... thats why I put mine as low as it would go... but I also managed to raise mine up with no problems too, maybe its a different design on the SN-95 cars from the factory though...

20. Dustyn5.02.5

So will the price of the kit be raised once the a/c lines are included in the kit?

bridal-shoal