1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

OK, Why wont this fucking car boost down!!!???

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Ackbar00, May 16, 2005.

1. Ackbar00

I dont know if I by the whole, wastegate too small theory. I mean, we have already proved that with it off the car, it makes no boost. (Well, it saw 4-5psi at 5800 RPM) And when I took out the wastegate spring and STILL makes 20 PSI, I am strongly leaning towards a broken wastegate. I talked to Dalton at PTK, and he is leaning in that direction as well. If I do get one here soon, I will get a bigger one.

Did check the distruibter to make sure it is not a tooth off or anything. It is not, and was timed to 14*. Did make a run with the EBC bypassed, and the wastegate spring out. Same deal. It is not a responsive, but it still saw a high peak.

2. rxracer

you said you took the wastegate off. meaning you had one open hole in the exhaust/crossover pipe?

3. Ackbar00

Yepper, and it made no boost. Makes me think that wastegate is messed up.

4. 8950LX

Makes me think it's the WG mounting tube sticking into your crossover combined with the location of the WG and the size of the WG. Can you hear the WG venting to the atmosphere under boost?

5. Ackbar00

OK, then why did it work before? It has always been in the same location, with the pipe sticking in and the same wastegate size. Combo has not changed except for some additional fuel system stuff.

Car is so loud under load, I cant hear shit

6. 89coupe

Order up the 44mm wastegate. Throw a 10lb spring in it and disconnect your Profec and see what boost she holds at. What kind of boost gauge are you running?

If you could, take some pictures of your lines running from your boost gauge to your intake and the lines running from your wastegate to your boost controller and boost controller to your intake. I'm curious to see how you have your's setup.

7. Ackbar00

Im prolly going to get a bigger WG. I have a line on another Tial 38 that I am trying to get the person to let me test with.

It is a automeater Silver, both it and the Profec draw their signal from the upper intake. I run rubber tubbing got it at any autoparts store. Found a fitting the will screw into the back, and allows it to connect the rubber tubbing. It is plugged into the factoy vacumm tree

The fitting looks something like this.

Boost controller was set up per the Profec instructions. CHeck bottom picture:
    http://www.roadraceengineering.com/greddy_profecb2.htm

8. Ackbar00

Here is something new. I took off the dump tube today to look at the exhaust side. This is what I saw:

With the spring out, I am able to push the shaft up. THis is as far as it would go up. As you can see, it is only about 50% open. Is this normal? Because, looking at the second pic:

It appears to be capable of going higher, but the top of the wastegate needs to go up about another 1/2 inch. This seemed odd to me.

9. Ackbar00

Ok, just got to barrow a different Tial 38. I noticed that his did the same thing about only opening 50%. Guess that is just the design of the Tial.

His did the exact same problem. :(

Ill see about getting the crossover off this week and see how much overhang (if any) is in there. If there is, Ill try and get it removed.

10. 8950LX

Going back to Andrew's question above, is it safe to assume that this has been an on going problem since the original install? Judging by your reply to his question, I would say "yes". If so, that is why I keep leaning toward the size of the WG and/or the location of it. I'm willing to bet a 44mm WG will do the trick for ya. Or you could always try relocating the 38mm WG and see how that works out.

11. 8950LX

This is what the HP crossover looks like.

hp44mm.jpg #ad

12. DASHIP

Before you put a bigger gate in, fix that damn, nasty, hunk of crap hanging down in your crossover pipe! Your current gate might be good enough if you fix just that (if it's still there)!

Also, most wastegates I've tested only open halfway or so, as you show in your pic.

13. Ackbar00

OK, TIme for a update. I took a look into the wastegate flange, Did not like what I felt. So I opened up the pipe:

As you can see, there was quite a bit of overhang. This was what I finished with:

Much better, Man, I hope this was what was wrong with it. My dads shop is going to reweld the pipes together and I will report back later this week.

14. MORA

well that sucks... shitty design! Now that you have the tubing out, weld the WG pipe at an angle

15. DASHIP

Good job. I feel better now. I'm curious to see how much it helps. Let us know.

16. Linc's 84 351

That does look MUCH better now!

17. rxracer

i still think it needs to be mounted on the merge of the two pipes. i hope it helps though, the way you have it now.

18. Ackbar00

Oh I agree 100%. I looked it over, and it would be a major PIA to get the wastegate there. Here is a Pic of the passanger header:

As you can see, really no where to mount a wastegate, that is why they have it where it is. Effectilly, all it does is bleed off pressure from the drivers header. It is a design limitation. Oh well, as long as it goes fast, I guess that is all that matters:D

19. Linc's 84 351

No, I wouldn't say that. Let's just say "less pressure from the driver's header makes it to the merge"

If you put a gauge in the driver's header and one in the pass header and measure pressure when the WG is open, I bet you would see very little difference.

20. rxracer

it could go faster if it was designed a bit better.....well....a lot better. that collector piece into the merge is choking a lot of flow. there is plenty of room to mount a wastegate on that merge.