1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

OK, Why wont this fucking car boost down!!!???

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Ackbar00, May 16, 2005.

1. inertia

That is sweet that you figured it out. What is your next move, upgrading the Wastegate? I don't have that freaken ring for the wastegate, I wonder if that is my issue too?

Here are some pics of my Tial 38mm Location:

2. Ackbar00

Its not all there yet, this morning (About 40-45 degress) I saw 19 psi in 4th gear. Seems like good hard 4th gear pulls will clear 15psi pretty easiy. As long as we dont creap over 20, we should be good on 94 octane.:D

Going to the track tonight for REALLY the first time since the kit was installed. Might throw a splash of 110 in it if it keeps up that high.

3. Bangingears

I don't think it is to small, probably just the location. A buddy runs a T-70 on his honda with a 38mm and can go as low as 5psi. Another friend on his mustang runs the older 35mm with a GT42 and it will hold 8psi.

4. Ackbar00

Well, here is a pic of it. Passenger side, is where the wastegate is.

5. WaterPog

so it is only connected to one of the pipes correct?

I think that it's a size/location issue for sure, especially with the gate only dumping exhaust from one side of the motor. If you were to move the gate down to where it were inline with the straight section it MIGHT be enough, what I would do in your shoes is add a 2nd gate at that location since the design doesn't really allow for a gate on the other side of the Y.

likethis.jpg #ad

6. Superskwrl

not to get too far off topic, but with this setup basically the turbo runs off 1 side of the motor, which makes me almost think you could only run the turbo on 1 side with success

7. 89coupe

I have the same kit basically and I have no issues with boost spiking or going beyond the alloted amount my wastegate spring allows. Mine holds steady at 10psi. And I have a bigger turbo then Ackbar does.

8. Linc's 84 351

Dude, You are not looking at the WHOLE PICTURE, just a couple pieces..

9. WaterPog

yea, the passenger side header has the flange for the turbo built in to it. The pipe with the flex joint and the wastegate is the crossover from the driver side.

10. Ackbar00

See man, WTF. I just dont get it. I swear, I am thinking about cutting the spring to see if that makes a difference. I mean, Ill only be out what, 15$ for a new Tial Spring?

11. Big Jay

I would still lean towards a timing error. Check your TDC and see where your balencer ends up. If you had no issues before and the gate is working a mechanical solution would not fix the problem. Dig deeper.

I tuned a car that was having problems controlling boost. Turns out the timing was at 15* @ 20psi and then it would creep to 24-28psi. I added 9* at 20psi and bingo. Controller held the targeted 20psi.

12. Ackbar00

Last night it was 14* with 1.5 on the BTM. Had a 1.5 Gallons of 110 in it mixed with about 5 of 94 because it was making 20PSI every run. This was really killing the car.

So, are you saying you had 24* of timing in that?!

13. Big Jay

Yea but he was running 116. by 14* do you mean your static timing is at 14*? The btm can only pull 15* max right? Your spout is in right?

I would still check the balencer too. I have seen spun outer rings that are off just enough to eff everything up.

14. Ackbar00

Spout out, "0" marked on the balancer. Timing light set to 14*. Turn Distributor till "0" hits the pointer with the light. When done, I put the spout back in. That is how mine is set.

15. 8950LX

I was thinking the same thing. Same issues that HP had with early Fox body kits and the 38mm Tial WG's. With the WG dumping exhaust from only one side of the motor, the other side only experiences a slight drop in exhaust pressure and the end result is boost creep and/or uncontrollable boost. That's exactly why HP went to the 44mm Tial WG. Bigger WG = increased exhaust outlet area = less remaining exhaust energy(when it's open) to keep the turbine from spooling increasingly higher and higher. That's the way Anthony Dickson explained it to me awhile back. Sounds logical to me. :shrug:

16. brooksgnm

Ackbar- what the hell was your name?? This is Mark from the track last night... the one with the turbocoupe... remember?? I came on here looking for what you had written about your boost control issues and whaddya know! All I can say is SHIT man now I see why you can't hold boost!!! I should have asked you more / looked at your setup. That is one most poorly designed wastegate systems I have seen. I can't imagine a single 38mm flowing enough for that much displacement (keep in mind I am used to working with less than half you do), even without all the design flaws that thing has, and the itty turbo ! ! 1st and foremost is is only "gating" half the engine (theoretically), 2nd it is at a 90* angle to exhaust flow, maybe even with some pipe sticking into the crossover pipe, and 3rd it is too small (IMO). It's obvious from talking to you that you are informed enough to notice all these flaws... and I don't want to insult you... but I don't see how you can be so frustrated when the problems are right there staring you in the face! I would make up a ~50mm 'gate that draws right before the inlet flange, coming in at as much of an angle as you can. OR.. keep what you have and add another 38mm for the other bank. Either one isn't THAT hard or expensive:stickpk:

You'll have to keep in mind that I'm used to little 140ci baby engines. To make big power with them you use a really huge turbine housing, hence not near the exhaust backpressure you are seeing, hence the need for really huge wastegates. You have to have a LOT of wastegate flow to control boost on a tig turbo'd 2.3l. Hell my cheap ass will be running twin 30mm's soon :D Still though... 38mm is awful small. You know the problem already, just get in there and fix it!

Other than that... you have one badass car :worship:

17. MORA

Ackbar a.k.a Jet Li- I would look into that BTM. Ive had problems with them before on turbo cars.

18. TTPOWER

try running the car w/o the spout.. set at say 19*.. and run 110... If you do the math w your timing 14+18=32.. 15+psi x 1.5*=15*max timing pulled.. 32-15=17*

did you try this already? Ive been reading along.. but maybe i missed it

19. Ackbar00

Ok, Have not tried the timing thing yet, but it is on my list.

Just took the car out with no wastegate Spring. Broke down like this.

2nd - Peak of 13
    3rd - Peak of 17
    4th - Peak of 20

All runs were made with the boost controler hooked up, but like I have said before, I dont think it would have made any difference. Ill try it again here in a little bit, and I will take off the EBC and unscrew the fitting from the top of the wastegate. That way, I know for a fact it is open on the top. Guess I am streatching on that one....

20. DASHIP

Akbar00, I agree with brooksgnm. First thing is first... Fix all the problems with your current setup. 1) Check to see if there is still a piece of pipe sticking down into your crossover tube. If so, delete it. 2) If you don't see an improvement, then put on a bigger wastegate or second wastegate.

I believe that your problems are being caused by the small wastegate size combined with poor piping design. If you put a big enough hole in your exhaust, you WILL drop boost pressure, period.