1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

OK, Why wont this fucking car boost down!!!???

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Ackbar00, May 16, 2005.

1. Ackbar00

Ok, Checked timing, it was 10 degrees on a F-Cam and have 1 on the BTM. I changed it to 14 degrees with 1 on the BTM. Made it fell even better, but still saw over 15PSI :mad:

I am going to pull the wastegate now, and see what that does. Now let me ask this. All the wastegate does is releive exhaust pressure right? What if I made a plate the size of the gasket, and put a hole through it. In theory, it will let off a certain pressure just like a wastegate does except it will do it all the time. Be loud as hell, but hey, the car already is. This sound like something I can try?

2. Ackbar00

Took the wastegate off. No Boost:cool: :rolleyes: :D It saw mabey 5 psi under full RPM. So where does this leave us now? Bad Wastegate?

3. Superskwrl

IMO Either,

Wastegate is not working properly

Wastegate is too small

The tubing AFTER the wastegate is a big restriction

* i have never tried running with no wastegate on the car, so i cant make an informed comment, but 5lbs may be a lil much???

4. MORA

chewbacca is not going to fix your car..

5. Ackbar00

He might, he fixed the millennium falcon all the time and that bastard was pretty fast:cool:

I am going to try a turbonetics wastegate today, ill let eveyone know

6. WaterPog

Well, you've tested the wastegate and it works correctly on the bench so my guess is that it is either

1) not getting the correct signal

2) just too small to get the job done

3) something after the wastegate is keeping it from flowing enough

7. Ackbar00

Here is a pic of it, Ignore the F-Uped pipe ;) :

It has a very small dump tube, I cant imaganie it is restricting flow. Do you think a Tial 38 is too small for a T-64? I cant imagine that it is, but who knows. Tried several different sources for signal, all been the same :( Another thing I noticed today, is when the car is at Idle, I put my had down by the dump tube and felt exhaust going through it. When I took it off, I noticed the valve is slightly open all the time. I really cant not remember if it has always been like this. I looked at my brothers Deltagate, and his was closed. Makes me wonder if this is a problem.

Tried to see if my brothers Deltagate would bolt up too my Tial Flange, it would not, the deltagate was about a 1/4 inch wider, so I could not try his wastegate. I really dont know anyone else with a wastegate around here, much less someone with a Tial. Ill see if I can contact them direct tommorow. Mabey I can get it under warrenty or something.

I did try the Getto plate today. Still makes boost like crazy, but I am slowy making the holes bigger in it. Mabey I can get it down to 10-15 PSI:cool:

8. dman

5 psi with no wastegate sounds reasonable.

you said: "Another thing I noticed today, is when the car is at Idle, I put my had down by the dump tube and felt exhaust going through it. When I took it off, I noticed the valve is slightly open all the time. I really cant not remember if it has always been like this. I looked at my brothers Deltagate, and his was closed."

the tail uses a metal ring that goes around the wastegate valve that seals that hole up. I asked before but is that ring in there.? It seems like it would cause a low boost condition but who knows at this point.

here is one more exercise, remove the wastegate spring altogether and go for a ride. That will allow the gate to open fully with no spring resistance. if it still over boosts then either the gate is way to small or the pipe it bolts to is not properly mounted in the air flow.

9. WaterPog

couple questions:

A: Does that peice of pipe sticking out below the weld extend into the crossover the way it looks like it does?

B: What happens past here on the discharge tube?

questions.jpg #ad

10. dman

i'm with waterpog, that inner pipe looks like it could cause serious flow problems thru the gate. good eye!

11. Ackbar00

A - I quite honestly do not know, that was how it was delivered from PTK. I had my dads shop fix it for me and the re-inforced that area, but I am not sure if that pipe is still sticking in there.

B - Thats it, it ends just off camara

dman - Not sure about the ring. Ill see if I can get a better pic of the wastegate off the car.

12. dman

ok,

I have a 38mm Tial and when i took it out of the box and was checking it out I noticed that the wastegate valve wasn't seated. Then I found this machined ring in the box that fit in there and made the seal. It stayed in place by being sandwiched in between the gasket and the body of the WG.

have you tryed running it without any spring in the gate?

13. Ackbar00

I seem to recall that ring, but I do not belive that it is in the Wastegate, I will look for it. I plan on trying it tonight if I can, otherwise, this weekend.

14. inertia

Damn AckBar this sounds like the issue I am having!! I have a PTK kit on my '02 with a Tial 38 WG. We had and issue with the GReddy Profec B Spec II so we ditched it. Then we tried a MBC, but it wouldn't increase boost. We changed the spring and it will still wont go past 14psi. Even bumping up the boost with a MBC it still would not increase power. So we said fuck it and left it like that without a boost controller.

I plan on getting a new Tial WG probably a 40mm. Also what bar spring do you have? Keep us updated ..

15. turbo72

new to this site and may not know what i am talking about but, i was told by turbochargers.com that i needed at least a 46mm w/g with my 350. sounds like the 38mm is too small. dont everyone yell at me at once please hust trying to help,

16. Superskwrl

Does the wastegate bleed off exhaust from both sides, or just the driver side?

17. Linc's 84 351

Looks like it is in the crossover, so it would bleed pressure from both sides at the same time

18. Bangingears

You have to use the metal ring with the tial, Is the top port on wastegate open to the atomsphere?

19. Superskwrl

Looks like it comes off 1 side's header?

http://usera.imagecave.com/ackbar00/My_Mustang/DSC00689.JPG

If thats the case, i would guess the wastegate is too small, i think HP's kits are done the same way, and in the beginning some people had a problem, and i think the solution was either a 40 or 44mm tial

20. Ackbar00

OK, We have gotten somewhere!!:D

I found that damn ring and put it in. Made a big difference. I thinkthere is still a problem though, but boost is under 20 finally. I hooked back up the Profec B and see 10 PSI right away, and it climbs to a peak of 16.5 psi. I can live with that for now. Now, Being in Ohio, it is still cold for being end of May:rolleyes: ( was about 55 degrees) I am sure that will increase it a bit. I tried it without the Profec B pluged in, and saw the same peak of 16. Now, this 16 is under a pretty hard load (5800 RPM), so with my shift point of 5400, it is seeing about 13-15.

I guess this thing could be too small, but its not like I am running antything crazy. 306 low comp with a T-64.