1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

OK, Why wont this fucking car boost down!!!???

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Ackbar00, May 16, 2005.

1. blownvn

Have you checked the diaphragm? if it's ruptured it's not going to matter where your boost line is running from or to.

2. Ackbar00

OK, took the wastegate apart last night. Checked the diaphragm, there were no rips or tears. I did see oil in the pressure valley. I cleaned all that up and cleaned up in the exhaust chamber. It moves easily and does not bind. Even with the yellow .25 Bar spring in it, it is still kind of hard to push up on the spring, like it is a harder spring then it is supposed t0 be. I tried it with and w/o the EBC hooked up, still saw 17.7#'s of boost and that was with me letting out of it before the shift point. No leaded gas ever. Now cleaning out the oil, seemed to help a lot with the whole "fluttery" thing. I am getting my vacumm source directly from the intake, no T's in it. This is starting to suck :(

2qwk4u - Sharad is who bought pops old car. That is who you are reffering too. Youve prolly met my brother too. He drives the red 88GT with the T-76 on it.

3. 1lowtoy

You said you have a shitty gasket inbetween the crossover and the Wastegate, that should make it boost like shit. Are you saying that the gasket blocks some of the exhaust piping going to the wastgate?

4. 2qwk4u

if there is anything i can do to help

PM me....

Bill

5. TurboSN95

Do you have access to another wastegate to try out??

6. Ackbar00

Yeah, It was blown all to hell, I ended up replacing it last night with a new one, same deal though

TurboSN95 - No, not really, guess I am going to have too. :(

7. Ackbar00

Dumb question, I know I should not have to, but what about cutting the spring? They are only like 10$ on ebay. Im getting despriate if you cant tell:D

8. WaterPog

you can shotgun it all day but until you test the wastegate to see if it's opening when it's supposed to you'll just be guessing.

9. BRIAN FF

the best way to test it is with a coolant system checker... it is jsut a manual pump with a vacuum line and guage.. you use it to pressurize a coolant system to see if it leaks down.. and if you pump slow and watch the guage you can see exactly when i opens... can you hook it up without routing it back in to the downpipe? is it even going back in the downpipe? if so try without

other than that i would say the valve is bent or sticking somehow.

best bet is test the gate... if you want you can bring the gate down to the shop and someone can test it real quick for ya

10. Ackbar00

OK, now it gets weird

Tested it at my dads shop. Hooked it up to a regulater in his paint booth. Started at 0 and started to increse it, it opened the wastegate at 5 PSI. Ok, Only other thing it could be is a Vacumm source, right? So I ran another direct line off the factory tree, tested to make sure I had vacumm, and then put it on the side port of the wastegate. Saw 17.5 PSI :confused: What else in my motor could cause it to over boost? I mean, this is frustrating as hell.

My brother has a Deltagate. I am going to try and steal that this weekend for something to try. :(

11. WaterPog

so the wastegate is working properly, that means it's a flow issue which is odd since you were able to get lower boost previously. Can you move your boost guage hookup so that it's T'd off the line to the wastegate? You don't have a check valve in the line somewhere that you're overlooking do you?

It sounds to me like the wastegate isn't seeing the pressure in the intake for whatever reason.

12. BRIAN FF

are you sure youa re bolting the wastegate up the correct way? also look in the wastegate hold in the crossover and make sure there is no obstrucions... i remember you had that rewelded recently right? hmmm i dont know what else it could be... try runing a line from the turbo to the wastgate.. or try putting your boost guage line somewhere else... are you sure your boost guage is right... test it as well... maybe its messed up somehow .. test it the same way you tested the wastegate...

also what kind of line are you running to the watsegate? is a a strong vacuum line... i have seen some people use cheaper like washer line and it ballon ... maybe it is balooning and taking a second to react due to that... its a far fetched idea but worth a try

13. Brandon

sounds like the timing to too low.

14. Ackbar00

Well, I had thought the boost guage this morning as well. But then I remember the Profec B has a reading on it as well and both saw the same boost.

Nothing in the crossover, and I did clean up the Wastegate pretty good. I used some beefyier Vacumm line that last test.

Brandon - The Timing could be it I guess, I will check that tonight. Normally, I run 10 degrees on a F-Cam and have 1 on my BTM.

15. TurboSN95

are you 100% sure the Profec B isn't effecting this at all?

16. Ackbar00

The Valve was disconnected, just the vacumm line going into the back of the unit for a reading. One of my test,when I had it bypassed, I killed the power to it. Same deal

17. dman

are you running the adapter ring that seals around the wastegate valve where it bolts to the crossover pipe flange? you mentioned earlier that it didn't look like the valve was seated in the gate body. I would think that would create less boost if it was missing but at this point who knows... why don't you leave the WG off and take the car for a ride and see if it builds any boost.

18. Ackbar00

What that was, was the old gasket was blown to hell, I thought that would help in making less boost. I have since put a new firering gasket in it. What the hell, Ill try driving it without a wastegate tonight as well and see what it does.

19. BRIAN FF

well?.............

20. Ackbar00

It rained all evening, so I went to see Star Wars:rolleyes: :D