1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Ok, so what the heck do I do with the PCV valve?it keeps blowing out of the engine

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by twinturbowannabe91, Jan 30, 2005.

1. nmcgrawj

2. Haze_kid

Re: Ok, so what the heck do I do with the PCV valve?it keeps blowing out of the

those are for naturally aspirated open header race motors.... They don't work with mufflers, they don't work at low cruising and idle, and they definitely won't work in a turbo setup.... so in short no :p.

3. ShaneH

Sorry, but I disagree. They work well. I've used them on True Street turbo cars for years. You have to use straight through mufflers though without cats. It's got to be free flowing. But at idle it'll pull about 4-5 inches of vacuum and at wot it would pull about 11 inches.

That said, I'd get a one way valve like Incon used to use between the intake and pcv. You can find them at big truck supply stores.

4. Haze_kid

well I suppose it depends on the exhaust sizing etc but I still find it very hard to believe they'd work with turbos. Many in the mopar world have tried them on the street with ultra-flows (straight through design) and an X-pipe to boot (which SHOULD add to the effect) with meager results. They've all said PCVs work better. And I find it hard to believe you're pulling that amount of vacuum at idle, everything i've seen only shows them working at WOT at higher RPMs my 2cents.

5. ShaneH

I can only tell you what I've experienced on vehicles I've installed them on. My low 9 second street driven 800hp Incon twin turbo car(2.5" bassani x pipe into 3" dynomax ultraflows) was the first I used them on(which is also where the measured vacuum #s came from), followed by a 450hp small single turbo stock motor'd 5.0(3" downpipe split off into duals with 2.5" ultraflows) that ran 11.20s, followed by an 900hp street 310ci with a 76mm turbo(3.5" downpipe into a single race magnum) that ran low 9s. I used Ford's emissions valve that ties to the backs of the heads in those applications, because it's almost identical to what the aftermarket sells plus it's one of the first thing everyone chunks so they're found for next to nothing. Maybe it works a little better than the aftermarket stuff.

Again, though, for a truly street vehicle I'd use a 1 way valve ahead of the pcv.

6. Haze_kid

OK wait wait, maybe I took it wrong.... so you measured 4-5" off the pipe not free-flowing and not in the crank-case correct? I could see that with a 2 1/2" exhaust. And if that's true then basically what I said is true, you're only pulling 4-5 at idle, motor pulls what... 8-17 depending on cam?

7. 01somta

so would running pcv to the nipple on the oil breather filter neck work and cap of the TB?

8. turbo94gt

That wouldnt work you. The crankcase wouldnt have anywhere to vent, since the pressure would be coming out of the oil filler neck nipple into the PCV valve.

9. 01somta

if the pcv valve vents it will just go through the oil filler nipple and out the breather filter. also any postive pressure under the valve covers will also be vented out the breather FILTER. and any blow by liquids from the pcv valve will drain back into the valve cover.

10. vegastang

OK, once again I've tried everything with the PCV valve dilemma. This is what I run now: I use the lightning PCV valve and a valve cover breather. The main problem with this is that it tends to pull in oil into the intake, so I went to a smaller vacume hose, and it does this less. Anyways for drivability and tune, this is what works best on my car. Also if you run alcohol, it will keep your intake clean, and counter the negative octane effect of the oil.

11. 01somta

But if you run a the oil breather and the pcv valve to the upper intake you will creat a "second intake" with the oil breather. On a stock pcv setup at idle there is a vacuum in the intake manifold. This vacuum will inturn pull a vacuum on the crack case aslo. If you have a filter instead of a cap on the oil filler, air will be sucked in through the filter and through the crank case into the intake manifold. So with an intake manifold pressure less than atmosphere (anything less than 0 on your boost gauge) the breather filter is acting like a "second intake". Which would result in unmetered air entering the engine causing the car to idle and cruise lean. Does this sound right? This should also be the case with a N/A car.

12. lxturbo

I used a cheap clear plastic paper fuel filter on my dsm >It is inline with the pcv valve to the boot between the maf and the turbo it kept oil out ! Just my .02$

13. vegastang

Yes I understand what you're saying, and I had the same concerns. What I found was that even without the breather, your crankcase is generally not airtight, theres usually some blowby and whatnot, and thats what the PCV is breathing. So I found that running the breather didnt really affect my tune. This is just what I have found, I tune with the tweecer, and this was one of those things where I was trying alot of different combinations.

14. mootang

what if you run a vacume line from the nipple on the oil filler tube to the PCV valve and have a small air filter in line to vent the gases? or do you still need a vacume source? if so then could you T it of to the intake? what are your thoughts on this setup?

15. 01somta

that is what I am saying to do, but you would not need a inline filter due to the pvc vacuum line being run to the nipple on the oil filler neck which inturn has a filter on it. you do not need a vacuum source, off road and race application use a dump tube on their pcv setup so it would not have a dump tube.

16. vegastang

Please explain the purpose of setting it up like this. It makes no sense. The PCV vavle is there to circulate fresh air through the crankcase. PCV= "Positive Crankcase Ventilation" It cannot do this without vacuum source or a pump.

17. 01somta

Then how do people do it that just dump there pcv vacuum line or block off the pcv hole and just run breather(s) there is not a vacuum source there.

18. vegastang

well they are not running a PCV system them.