1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Now S480, 400 big block, Dodge Dakota

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by CW25, Mar 11, 2013.

1. CW25

Got some wheels that would fit my newly narrowed diff. Not sure why I like these wheels. Probably because they are simple and cheap. I can throw 275/60r15s on them for cheap and they fit in the wheel wells. Tested the trans brake and it seemed to hold on the hoist. We have about 18” of snow right now and it was -15F this morning. . Definitely done with that shit. I am ready to do some testing and get this thing figured out.

IMG_5773.jpeg #ad

IMG_5774.jpeg #ad

nxcoupe, BBR, 62CometTurbo and 3 others like this.
  2. CW25

Forgot to mention that I moved the trans mount over about 1.5” for better alignment. After I did that The exhaust would not fit properly. So I took the tome to patch together a side exit tail pipe.

IMG_5686.jpeg #ad

IMG_5688.jpeg #ad

IMG_5689.jpeg #ad

3. 300 turbo

Nice work going on there!
    So you ran a muffler before too?

CW25 likes this.
  4. CW25

Yeah that same muffler. It is from the tailpipe of a 6.7 cummins diesel 3500. I used to have a small magnaflow on there as well but this packaged easier and I don’t really notice a difference in sound. Hope it is a little quieter in the cab.

nxcoupe likes this.
  5. 300 turbo

Ok, it’s just your friends showing some great tolerance there I think.
    I just brought my new shiny stainless steel muffler up on the bench when some friends came by visiting my garage.
    Yah, they sure saw what was going on and asked me what a h___ I was doing
    I told them I was sorry and almost got a bitch slap before I decided not to go
    " muffler "
    I sure respect you for standing up man!
    Cuz some times it can be difficult...

6. CW25

LOL that “muffler” is about 14” long 4” diameter straight through. At best it is a resonator. I do like the deeper sound when it is on. It is interesting to note that when I went with the larger exhaust wheel on this turbo the truck definitely got louder. I am also not exactly young anymore so the way it drives is more important than 30 years ago. Lol.

nxcoupe likes this.
  7. 300 turbo

Yes, did the same w my turbo and it got a lot more noisier after that.
    Also use ear plugs when going more then a few miles.
    - ANNOYING - Yes.......
    Yes, did the same w my turbo and it got a lot more noisier after that.
    - ANNOYING - Yes.......
    Yes, did the same w my turbo and it got a lot noisier after that.
    - ANNOYING - Yes.......

CW25 likes this.
  8. MrBelvedere

No way I'd run straight exhaust on the street. Just obnoxious. You can always uncap at the track after all. If you wanna get fancy you could always run some kind of exhaust dump.

CW25 and nxcoupe like this.
  9. KEVINS

I run 3" into 2.5" full length exhaust and three mufflers and it's tuned to make the power with them in use = made over 950hp but now going for 1100+hp... I want it quiet.

ks

74chlngrTT5.9, CW25 and nxcoupe like this.
  10. CW25

Took it out of the shop and tested the transmission. It has all three gears and the trans brake works. Just took it around the block I have no insurance so I just put it on the trans brake one time and tried a 2800 rpm launch. It releases very quickly. It immediately blew the tires off and shifted to second gear. At least I know the air shifter, trans brake all work. I tried the bump control but it didn’t work. That is a programming thing. Then put it in the shop before anyone called the cops. Lol. Now to wait for the snow to melt and the roads to dry up.

11. CW25

I was doing some checking and found that the rear shocks bottom out. I knew that they were too long but hoped I could run them for a bit. So I went to Jegs and bought their single adjustable coil over shock. Coil over just in case I go 4 link or ladder bar in the future. Didn’t want to spend the money right now but I planned on getting decent shocks in the future. The jegs brand are made by QA1 so they should be decent.

Punk.Kaos and nxcoupe like this.
  12. CW25

Last part of the puzzle for now. QA1 single adjustable rear shocks.

IMG_5900.jpeg #ad

74chlngrTT5.9 and nxcoupe like this.
  13. CW25

Boom!!! And there they are. Lol. The adjustment is very sensitive on these. Difference in zero to three clicks is big. And there is 18 clicks.

IMG_5902.jpeg #ad

nxcoupe likes this.
  14. Punk.Kaos

Thats a good tip on the Jegs ones being QA-1... You can find a lot of really good parts under their brand if you know what you're looking at!

nxcoupe likes this.
  15. CW25

Yeah forgot to mention they are far cheaper than the branded QA1. I am all for saving money. This shit is expensive. I am feeling poor after upgrading transmission, narrowed 9” and fixing the usual shit that doesn’t work well. I still need new slicks and those have got pretty expensive as well. Lol First world issues.

16. Punk.Kaos

Yup exactly, I'm coming down the home stretch on my current build and the budget is starting to get tight, I need some front coilovers for the coilover conversion, so this tip comes in really handy for me!

Gets spendy to toss in a 4-speed conversion to an automatic car along with everything else to bring a bare shell up to a driveable rig!

17. jbliss15

I have straight pipe all the way back to the stock location and it sounds great. Turbos are good mufflers at part throttle but my engine is also bone stock so not that loud lol

18. CW25

Got insurance and took it for just a quick rip as that is all I had energy for. The exhaust is pretty loud. 4” with a straight through muffler and a pretty large t6 turbine wheel I will leave it for now and see how it is. Data logged stuff and found since I changed tires sizes something is off in my wheel speed sensors as the rear os out quite a long ways at 60 mph need to fix that. Rear diff is quiet and trans shifts fat and firm. I am working on training myself how to drive a reverse valve body. It is not easy since I have had this same shifter since the early 2000s. I topped up the trans and spilled oil all over my header. Lol. Said I am done for the day. Spring is busy time. I am off for another day so I will tackle more later.

74chlngrTT5.9, nxcoupe and Pro-SC like this.
  19. CW25

I took it to work and back all of about 10 miles total but stop and go driving lots of shifts to get me trained up. I got the staging control working and it is cool. Feels great to spool the turbo then push the staging button and have the truck bump forward a few inches. I now have trans brake control, staging control, delay for bracket racing, traction control, boost control, individual cylinder fuel and timing bunch of safeties set up to hopefully not wreck too much shit. Next I just need to be smart enough to work it all and get down the track without immediately getting kicked off the track. Lol.

BBR, 74chlngrTT5.9, Russell and 4 others like this.
  20. CW25

The one thing I was missing was a cup holder. I spent some time and a old fast food cup and made something. Nothing worse than driving a fast truck than having the cup tip over on the seat or leak because you pulled out on the highway and got into a little boost. Lol

IMG_5980.jpeg #ad

IMG_5981.jpeg #ad

Russell, nxcoupe, tbird and 3 others like this.