1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Now S480, 400 big block, Dodge Dakota

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by CW25, Mar 11, 2013.

1. 74chlngrTT5.9

Nice to see the solid progress.

Lol on the 9" decision. I am planning on the Ford 8.8 swap for my Challenger.
    Dirt cheap and plentiful. Disc brakes and TruTrac with 373 ratio for the win.

CW25 and nxcoupe like this.
  2. 300 turbo

Are we getting closer to the Chevy treefives guys on Cuba that got Perkins 3 -Cylinder in them .
    - Lol

CW25 likes this.
  3. CW25

I will be going 3.70s as well. I got two 9” diffs for $200. I will have a spare third member fully built if something happens to the current one. It will have a mini spool and a stock carrier but I will have a spare for the cost of a bearing kit.

74chlngrTT5.9 likes this.
  4. CW25

Gotta do what ya gotta do. Lol. Keep it quiet as I have coils from a LS chev and a ford power steering reservoir .

Punk.Kaos likes this.
  5. CW25

Got more mocking up and some stuff figured out. The anti roll bar is a modified front sway bar. It was free because I had it laying around.

IMG_5257.jpeg #ad

IMG_5258.jpeg #ad

IMG_5259.jpeg #ad

IMG_5260.jpeg #ad

6. 62CometTurbo

Great idea on the sway bar. Are you making adjustable links to tune it? Maybe I should do that with my front bar, though I'm not sure it would be big enough to do much.

7. Pro-SC

8. CW25

Oh yeah I just hadn’t built the links yet. This is just the start of mock up. Stainless tubing wiith 1/2 “ heim joints to make them fully adjustable and it has polyurethane bushings. Probably QA1 single adjustable for the back. I also need to build the upper bracket and weld out the whole rear. Everything os just tacked except tge housing ends they are fully welded in.

Also got my billet front drum and retainer. $$$ That shit is pricey but having a drum explode and take out the floor boards, transmission, possibly my feet is alot more expensive. I just call it insurance. I have the trans fully assembled and back in. Need to program and wire the trans brake from the fuel tech and buy a solid state relay.That way I can have trans brake with bump in. The lights go down quick here because no one runs turbo setups so I really want to have the bump in feature working. Also if I do some bracket racing I can run the delay box feature as well. Fueltech has alot of options for doing shit from one box.

IMG_5325.jpeg #ad

IMG_5326.jpeg #ad

IMG_5319.jpeg #ad

IMG_5320.jpeg #ad

IMG_5323.jpeg #ad

TurboSnake281, nxcoupe and Pro-SC like this.
  9. CW25

Double post.

10. CW25

Ford 9” housing narrowed 10”. Bolt in to a dodge dakota. Lots of measurements and now when the ring and pinion get here it better all fit lol.

IMG_5330.jpeg #ad

IMG_5331.jpeg #ad

nxcoupe likes this.
  11. CW25

Got the third member rebuilt with all new bearings, helical limited slip and new 3.73 gears.

IMG_5367.jpeg #ad

IMG_5368.jpeg #ad

IMG_5369.jpeg #ad

12. CW25

Got the diff together and test fitted the wheel/tire combo. I think it turned out decent. Pretty happy with the fit. 30x10.5-15. 295/65R15.

IMG_5475.jpeg #ad

IMG_5476.jpeg #ad

IMG_5477.jpeg #ad

IMG_5478.jpeg #ad

IMG_5479.jpeg #ad

13. CW25

Some underneath shots and a crude driveshaft loop. It looks like I will have to order a +1” yoke to make the driveshaft happy again. Love spending money twice. Lol

IMG_5486.jpeg #ad

IMG_5485.jpeg #ad

IMG_5483.jpeg #ad

IMG_5482.jpeg #ad

14. CW25

I am still getting things done but I have been waiting forever for a trans filter spacer. Ordered it 2nd week of December and then finally got my money back about a week ago and ordered another one. I wired and programmed the trans brake through the Fueltech but can’t test anything until I can put fluid in it. Also ordered a 1” longer yoke for the 9”. That sould make my driveshaft happy again.

I did redo the air shifter much cleaner than before. I do like being able to program what rpm that the trans shits at. For now I just sit in the drivers seat and make 2 step noises pretending to use the staging button and trans brake buttons. Lol. I have really good launches in my head.

IMG_5563.jpeg #ad

15. MrBelvedere

Duuuuude that thing LAUNCHED brother!

silver82GT and CW25 like this.
  16. CW25

Lol. Winter is long in the North. Some years it feels longer than others…

nxcoupe likes this.
  17. Punk.Kaos

You're making me antsy to get working again... After my crash in November I'm just FINALLY getting back to being able to wrench. I'm getting back at it this saturday.

That air shifter setup made me wonder... I've got a sequential 4-speed shifter going into my car which could probably be actuated with an air shifter. Wonder if it makes any sense :p

18. CW25

It would work well I am sure. That air cylinder will work both ways. I have thought about shifting mine by air only because it is reverse pattern now and I am terrified I will shift to first at the top of second gear. Kinda sounds like a bad day to me.

19. Punk.Kaos

Hmm, I might have to think about that, it would certainly be a fun setup to play with if nothing else.

Yeah, dropping into first with a manual valve body would be a recipe for a REALLY wild ride.

20. CW25

Got my extended yoke installed. Driveshaft is way happier. The black line is where the ouput shaft ends. It sticks out about a 1” past the seal.

IMG_5485.jpeg #ad

IMG_5623.jpeg #ad

IMG_5621.jpeg #ad

IMG_5622.jpeg #ad

IMG_5619.jpeg #ad

IMG_5620.jpeg #ad