1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Now S480, 400 big block, Dodge Dakota

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by CW25, Mar 11, 2013.

1. 62CometTurbo

Truck looks awesome! Can't wait to see some video.

CW25 likes this.
  2. 74chlngrTT5.9

Great update. About time you can enjoy it.

CW25 likes this.
  3. CW25

I got it out to a very slippery track tonight. But it was fun. The track was soo bad that I had to launch from just sbove idle then short shift to second gear at about 4000 RPM. Other wise it would just spin and hit the traction control then spin again. I had 295/65r15 drag radials on but I was spinning them by just flooring it off idle. It ran a best of 12.13@119 2.13 60’ on 5 1/2 lb of boost. If I can find some more traction to get the 60 ‘ down it is a easy mid 11 second truck. Crazy to think that it was on 5.5 lb of boost with a DA over 4000 feet.

turbofreek, BBR, nxcoupe and 2 others like this.
  4. B E N

It doesn't look like you are getting much weight transfer. What in the suspension can you adjust? Anything in the rear shocks or traction device?

CW25 and nxcoupe like this.
  5. tbird

What Ben said.
    It doesnt look like you have any traction bars. At minimum a good slapper bar that snubs against the spring eye with no more than 1/2 snub gap or a caltrac and a decent 50/50 shock in the rear. Front 90/10 or 70/30 may be needed but traction device 1st.

At 119mph,low 11, high 10s capable with 1.5-1.6 60ft.

CW25 and nxcoupe like this.
  6. CW25

I am getting nothing for weight transfer because it was that slippery it was worse than on the street. I have Assassin traction bars set on a pretty aggressive hit to the tires will go to the most aggressive setting. 90/10 old school front drag shocks and poly urethane bushings. Pinion set 4* down and bars were preloaded more than I would usually do to prevent the tires from hitting the fenders. I have about a hundred lbs of steel on the rear bumper. Battery, fuel tank, air compressor and tank, water meth and washer fluid all behind the rear axle. I am running on drag radials on a no prep track that only gets run on once a month.

Even when I left from a Idle I would still be spinning some out of the hole. I want to have some traction on the street but am certainly getting a little bummed about how bad the traction is. I have the power just need traction. My drag radials are toast so I will try a set of slicks soon. I also need to figure out my brakes as the manual brakes are not cutting it. I will go back to my hydraboost. I am getting low on funds to do all of this at once so we will see.

7. CW25

Well I went and weighed the truck at a local truck scale. It is pretty heavy still. I took a bunch of weight out of it and it is still a pig. Lol I weighed it with 3/4 of s tank of fuel and me in it. 190 lbs. This truck scale rounds to the nearest 20 lbs.

TOTAL WEIGHT 4200 lbs
    FRONT 2220
    REAR 1980
    LF 1165 RF 1035
    LR 925. RR 1055

I was thinking of getting some Viking Warrior double adjustable front shocks and springs. Might call tomorrow and see what they recommend.

8. CW25

Phoned up Viking and told me to use some 450 pound springs and a s10 shock that is the same as the dakota. They don’t do international credit cards so I would have to wire transfer from my bank. So I looked for some dealers in Canada and the shipping was brutal and long wait times… So I checked out a equivalent QA1 and it was about a hundred more but free shipping and in stock so they are only a week away. Kinda wanted the vikings but I hope the QA1 will be a good choice.

Also was thinking about moving the 200 ish lbs I have at the spare tire area, up to the top of the box. Maybe come up with a bracket of some sort and bolt it down to the box but have it up high at the tail gate. Might give me some more weight transfer to help this pig on the street and no prep track. Thoughts?

9. CW25

Finally got my QA1 front springs and dual adjustable shocks. Didn’t have time to do much with them yet. But probably this weekend sometime.

IMG_4755.jpeg #ad

IMG_4757.jpeg #ad

IMG_4756.jpeg #ad

10. CW25

Some more parts showed up. I got a reverse manual trans brake valve body and a rebuild kit. This is a winter project so I won’t be doing much with it till then. I did pick up a Ford 9” with 3.50 gears but it is a 28 spline axle. The housing is 4” narrower than mine so it would fit the typical 4” offset rims better. Need to do something with that 9.25” dodge diff as I am still running a welded diff in it. I doubt it will enjoy being launched at over 3000 rpm. Lol.

IMG_4765.jpeg #ad

IMG_4766.jpeg #ad

IMG_4767.jpeg #ad

IMG_4764.jpeg #ad

IMG_4769.jpeg #ad

nxcoupe, 62CometTurbo and BBR like this.
  11. 300 turbo

12. 300 turbo

Great news to see you running on the track and getting traction fixed!
    Very cool looking also!
    Did you ever had any problems with your crank thrust ?
    Just got some road miles on my build and trashed my thrust bearing and a number of internals as a result cuz of that.
    I know there is probably a number of reasons , like smallish gap btw flexplate and converter and the transmission pump line preassure to high, etc.
    Just curious about yours , now when you got a few miles on the road.

13. CW25

Never any issues with the thrust. I have probably 6-7000 miles on it over the years and thousands of full throttle hits.

14. turbofreek

subscribing

15. CW25

Well I have been doing some stuff. Got the trans out and mostly gone though. I need a billet front drum so I don’t have a possible exploding trans if the rear sprag fails on launch. Look up exploding 727 trans if you don’t know about it.

I also am getting the 9” rear ready. I have a helical limited slip and axles now. I just got the diff narrowed and ends tacked on. It is slow but stuff is happening. Trans brake launches are in the near future.

IMG_5207.jpeg #ad

IMG_5206.jpeg #ad

IMG_5205.jpeg #ad

IMG_5171.jpeg #ad

IMG_5170.jpeg #ad

IMG_5169.jpeg #ad

IMG_5163.jpeg #ad

IMG_5162.png #ad

IMG_5156.jpeg #ad

IMG_5132.jpeg #ad

IMG_5081.jpeg #ad

16. 300 turbo

Ohh no...
    Now the Chrysler Gods are looking down at you, watching you put that nine-incher on your truck...
    Future engine and transmission problems will have bad karma over that Ford rear.

Bless you and wish you luck anyway

17. CW25

I actually agree it took alot for me to to go to a 9” but the cost saving and availability of aftermarket parts is sooo much better. Than almost everything out there. I kept a eye out for a Dana 60 but around here there are 9” all over the place.

18. MrBelvedere

Gotta love the brand loyalists.

Good to see you're making progress. Have you checked out the SBE, turbo 5.9 Dakota on YouTube running 10.3s? Amazing stuff.

He's done a lot of work getting the chassis setup to work, maybe you should compare notes. I'm sure your engine combo has more potential.

19. CW25

Didn’t know that I will have to look him up.
    The engine and truck have alot left in it and I may push it a little harder in the near future as I am getting it the way I want it. I haven’t even taken the boost over 7.5 psi yet and it has run 122 mph. Part of the problem is the lack of cage. I like to run the Friday night no prep but if I get this thing more sorted then I will need a bar but my local track doesn’t seem to enforce the bar if you run a fast in the 1/8 then let off and run over 11.50. I will play that game until they catch on. Lol. I would love to get this thing into the 6s in the 1/8 no prep but that might be a long shot lol. I would take a 7.50 right now.

MrBelvedere and Punk.Kaos like this.
  20. CW25

I mocked up the rear diff and tested the tire fitment. I fits pretty good I am happy with it. The brackets are crude but will work fine when I get them finished. The shocks will be straight up and the anti roll bar will be underneath the diff.

IMG_5222.jpeg #ad

IMG_5223.jpeg #ad

IMG_5224.jpeg #ad

IMG_5225.jpeg #ad

IMG_5226.jpeg #ad

BBR likes this.