1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Now S480, 400 big block, Dodge Dakota

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by CW25, Mar 11, 2013.

1. CW25

Before and after first pick is about 7 years ago.

80C0472B-2FB0-49D3-9F0F-238679C1E2A7.jpeg #ad

1334D03A-421D-40DA-A562-1B6E8C019908.jpeg #ad

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  2. CW25

Well I did get a bonus from work and think I will get a larger turbo. Probably S 480 but looking for recommendations on where to purchase?

I can get one from summit. It is a VS racing….not sure on their quality but I have been out of the game for a while.

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  3. CW25

Did a bunch of research and looks like a S 480 from VS racing is the one. Lots of people seem to have good luck with them.

4. silver82GT

I have a VSR 7875 and it hasn't caused any trouble. How efficient the wheels are compared to the US turbo manufacturers is anybody's guess but they do make boost and lot of people run great times with them.

CW25 likes this.
  5. CW25

Well I have been on holidays but I am now back. Being that the budget is low I decided to build my own adjustable traction bars. I liked the look of the assassin bars so I did something similar. Oh and I have the VS racing S480 standard cover 1.32 96 mm turbine. I hope it will lower the back pressure and make some more power without more boost. Then lots more if I turn it up.

59D24F21-FEFC-47C3-9D90-68126CEA686E.jpeg #ad

DC5D776E-4D31-4F99-B346-9E4954160EE9.jpeg #ad

004EA233-C0D8-4815-BFE8-18A72CDC88DD.jpeg #ad

7999C9A4-0962-4887-984A-AFF2478D8EE2.jpeg #ad

6. nxcoupe

I really like how you did those bars. Makes me want to do a set.

7. B E N

I'm not sold on sandwiching that spring, that seems like a good way to break a main pack.

a70duster likes this.
  8. CW25

I do like how they came out. It takes more time than I had thought but assassin bars are not cheap. If I had a CNC plasma cutter it would have been a piece of cake but I have a drill press a plasma cutter and a grinder. It works though. I am working with a 24 year old suspension system and everything is seized solid. That takes up a bunch of my time. I am also swapping the bushings to polyurethane at the same time. Should be a different truck when I am done.

nxcoupe and Disney Lincoln like this.
  9. CW25

It is on a very short section I am not worried. If there is a issue I can replace the 24 year old springs.

10. CW25

I am happy to say that I got my S480. It is a badass looking turbo. Billet wheel is sweet. I tossed it on cranked the motor until I had full oil pressure to prelude the turbo. Plugged in the injectors and fired it up. The larger exhaust wheel actually makes the truck sound different. Lol. It will be nice when I can take it out but I am a couple months from that right now. Some pics comparing the 75mm 83 turbine with the 80mm 96 turbine.

031E4031-6493-49B0-AE6E-D814318F0530.jpeg #ad

B98B7F6F-AF28-41A9-82D2-12C572603B2B.jpeg #ad

15859A6E-CCDA-4561-8E1C-26A441C5C264.jpeg #ad

11. Mnlx

Not being a smart ass, but they're clamped at the axle, is that any different? I kinda like the design.

B E N likes this.
  12. B E N

Not at all, just intuition. I could be wrong.
    [​IMG]#ad

This is a visual of how a parabolic leaf spring moves during axle wrap, which is sort of the extreme of travel, it should be less with trac bars, but the spring still moves a great deal on launch. What the OP has done is take that entire front bending moment and moved it to about 1" of the top leaf, constricting the movement in the spring, unknown variable of how that effects spring rate, and I bet it isn't linear. He has also at least partially omitted the benefit of the bushing taking shock load, and added what amounts to be a stress riser in the spring. Stress risers in springs are real bad, any time a vehicle is in motion, even on smooth road that spring is moving. In addition, the front tab coming under the shock eye makes the entire assembly a lever, which is going to try to bend the spring at that stress riser at the back of his clamping assembly. Think about a leaf spring pack, there are spacers between each spring that allow the springs to move independently of each other. Without that the pack would break down quickly.

Also notice he will have locked the front spring length as soon as the device engages, this is going to put immense stress on... everything. Fortunately it looks like he used some fairly small bolts and most likely those will just break when it binds. Leaf springs HAVE to be able to change length, that's why you use shackles, I think this is more a setup issue than anything.
    [​IMG]#ad

Another possibility is that device loading up and causing pinion angle shift/instant center change when it levers the spring, which is going to cause launch tuning nightmares.

Lets look at Caltracs:
    [​IMG]#ad

The Caltrac design does put pressure on the spring during a hard launch, but it doesn't constrict its movement, remember leaf spring movement is more like a wave than just a single point bend. With the Caltrac design the spring is still free to move about on the bushing. The spring has no loss of travel because it isn't clamped, these only effect the spring when the axle is in high load. It is a shackle, by design. It does not restrict spring length change.

Lets take another look at the assassin bars these are modeled off of:

[​IMG]#ad

I am willing to bet the assassin bars are not restricting that spring. I bet there is a pad or spacers (preventing triangulation) in there and they slide on the spring, letting the spring move. Their spring pad is also contoured to match the pad shape, rather than being straight steel. Additionally they have a gap between the device and eye. This allows the spring pack to change length (it is a shackle effectively). The combination allows the bushing to stay engaged helping to absorb some shock loading.

Op needs to change that clamp design to a non-triangulated sliding design would help spring longevity. And adjust the bars not to lock up unless the pinion is shifting beyond the 0° offset between pinion and trans output.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    a70duster likes this.
  13. Mnlx

While I do like the u bolts better than sandwiching the spring, I don't see the bind except under power. The front mount pivots away from the spring eye under compression, and all the force is still transferred through the eye. I want to research this more, it's the first time i've seen these.

14. CW25

These are a near exact copy of the assassin bars and they have a through bolt as well just not the top plate that I added instead of the the clamps.

9BF5F41D-949F-422D-BC47-C49252D08C12.png #ad

45DF8B64-C499-42C3-AE02-1B0EDB155BF4.jpeg #ad

16EA7B1A-AA83-4371-B6BE-37C21F51FE1F.jpeg #ad

15. CW25

Extra pic of the turbo as my phone keeps adding for some reason.

nxcoupe likes this.
  16. B E N

Because turbos are sexy.

nxcoupe and silver82GT like this.
  17. CW25

Sorry for the lack of updates. I have been doing all the stupid time consuming things like cleaning up wiring harnesses, fixing transmission leaks, exhaust leaks, building a rear sway bar that still doesn’t fit properly. Lol. I did get some wheel center caps and lug nuts to clean up my 20 year old wheels. I added about 350lbs of steel to the spare tire area to help with traction on the street. Lots of little things happening but not a lot to show.

I did start it up and spooled the turbo, I had positive pressure from 3000 rpm on and it builds fast. I might even say it is faster than the smaller turbine but that might just be the excitement talking.

04C79F9D-E56F-4094-AA34-365E5A3BB7BA.jpeg #ad

55AFCE0F-971B-4F37-B290-15E78063D95F.jpeg #ad

2DFDDDBD-7DF5-403F-9630-DE9FE7ED21EE.jpeg #ad

C8D79ED7-DA85-4BF4-B8D6-F7821CB9C3FA.jpeg #ad

961E3A26-A4A0-4ABF-B530-CEFD1FB74DFB.jpeg #ad

B E N, Disney Lincoln and nxcoupe like this.
  18. nxcoupe

I have about 350 lbs in the rear of my black stang coupe. It would hook on ice, literally.

CW25 and B E N like this.
  19. CW25

Finally got to go for s test drive. Took it around the block and got it tuned a little better. Got into it and made a whole 3 psi of boost. Lol. Took it back and found it is hard to start hot. Bypassed the main cutoff switch with a dedicated starer cable to the battery and it starts great. I was also having issues with my laptop connection to the EFI. That took about 4 trips to the computer store to sort out. Once that was done I upped the boost a little and made 5psi. It is actually pretty quick at that boost. I will up the boost some more and see if it will hold to the crappy roads here.

20. CW25

I turned it up to 7 PSI and this thing rips pretty damn good. Traction on the street is terrible right now. Weather has had me shut down for 2 weeks no driving or testing the truck.

Question is there a inexpensive boost controller with a launch input. All I can see is the AMS 500 and boost leash. I like the boost leash but $590 plus exchange and shipping puts it up there in price. Probably go that way but looking for a less expensive option. It would be nice to roll the boost in slower so it could have a chance to hook.