1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

new eco-boost 3.5 awd project

Discussion in 'Ecoboost, Ecotec, Direct Injection and Other OEM Technologies' started by 351Frick, May 28, 2014.

1. 351Frick

slow moving

I'm definitely finding out that swapping the SHO power train into anything else is a complete PITA. Did anyone else know that you even have to swap over the headlights and Window motors for it to run properly? ( as told by Jamie from Livernois today). WOW

That being said, I've ordered and they have starting building me my fiberglass front end, door's, hood, and trunk lid. Finding someone that could actually do this for a cougar was also next to impossible, but apparently Rob from http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com specializes in this area and just happens to be one province over from me. Who knew? What's kind of cool is he's inserting early corvette fender vents into it and also might be making me some custom flares so I can possibly fit 20x10's all the way around. The new parts are supposed to be completed in about 6 weeks from now, I think it's going to look great and Robs really easy going.

What else. ...
    Plasma cutter and tig arrived. Installed a press, compressor and drill press to help me along the way. (Starting over after moving back to Canada a year ago).

more to come shortly

2. 351Frick

I did some measuring last night and I think there might be an easier way to do this project, I'm just not sure I like the idea as much. Based on the cougar body dimensions and the SHO drivetrain dimensions it might actually be easier to just remove the cougar body/interior and place it on the SHO. All is have to really do is shorten the frame a bit at either end, accept that the front/back wheels would be off from factory by .75 inches each (longer) and I'd be pretty much there. A complete front to back floor pan replacement for the cougar is only 600.00. Quick measurement specs: 67 cougar. Outside fender width=69" without flares (getting flares, loved the look on the one featured in hot rod magazine) Flares are 2" = 69 +4 = 73" available under car total. 2013 police interceptor Sedan. Disk face to disk face = 68.5" wide (front and back) So...73" - 68.5" = 4.5" available for wheel offsets. 4.5" / 2 = 2.25" wheel offset allowed per wheel. What i believe I need is a wheel with the right offset and I'd be fine. Would come together ALLOT faster this way. I'd have to but some H&R lowering springs or create a cantalever suspension (to make it really cool) but that's not so bad is it? Thoughts????

3. 351Frick

Complete 67 floorpan - $438.79 + tax/deliveryhttp://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2368342&cc=1366253*I'm pretty sure I'd have to create subframe connectors or something to tire both together since they are both unibody designed.

floorpan.jpg #ad

4. 351Frick

progress, some at least

I've been collecting parts from all over and think I'm close to cutting the top half of both cars off to takea giant leap forward on this project.

Bought:
    a pair of reclining racing inspired seats and a pair of DOT approved 4 point seatbelts restraints (apparently they can't call them a harness)
    Bought a set of 20 " x 8.5" with 38 mm offset to match the 73" wide extended fenders
    Sold most of the cougar sheet metal I'm not using including the rolling chassis. I didn't realize so many people had cougars!
    Sold off a bunch of the police sedan parts I'm removing
    A buddy of mine is welding up a custom air to water for me using some left over laminova cores grin the challenger project
    Picked up a bunch of front end parts to fix the police sedan frame
    Have the rebar to tie together and strengthen the chassis when it comes apart. Have some 2x2 steel tubing for the jig. Have to get welding before I cut anything...
    picked up steering wheel shifters from a taurus, aftermarket rfid proximity system with push button start, a stereo with canbus, a pair of dry cell batteries, and one of the deals I made with one of the guys purchasing cougar parts was a partial trade towards a fiberglass dash he's making for me.

That's about it for now. Will post some pics shortly.

5. BlownShovel

Glad to see it moving forward . Plenty of work ahead but awaiting the pics

6. boostedtorino

7. 351Frick

Lots of changes and updates over the last couple weeks.

Safety inspection was completed on the 67 cougar to ensure it didn't need it after I change everything. Funny story about missing the title, bill of sale and the lady who's upset about me cutting up her car. Heh - heh. It's my car now damnit!

Fiberglass from end (fenders, hood, everything) is pretty much completed. Rear fender, door's, truck lid/spoiler almost done. Finally pictures of that.

Picked up 4 Continental Extreme Contact DWS 265/30 ZR20's for the rims I already bought.

Interior of the interceptor is gutted and I started reinforcing the frame as to give it structural integrity when I remove the doors and framing. Interceptors ate already beefed up with 2x2 tubing on the inside of the car so this part is easy.

Cougar parts being replaced have all been removed and 50% of them are now sold. Still have parts to sell like front and back seats, dash, etc. I still have to remove the chassis grin the body. Saw am interesting article where a racer replaced the rocker panels with some significant metal and am thinking about doing that before removing the body for integrity reasons.

Intercooler needs to be replaced still and I'm up in the air about building one anymore. I want to, just not sure it's worth the hassle under 600hp.

That was a bit longer than I expected. Need to update here more frequently!

mms_img-1320226365.jpg #ad

mms_img-420590141.jpg #ad

mms_img-674847867.jpg #ad

20140903_221530.jpg #ad

8. 351Frick

Also purchased:
    Remote start, push button start, alarm, proximity sensor with unlock/lock kit.
    Street legal 4 point belts
    Sho steering wheel
    OBD bluetooth module and Sony 11 inch tablet that's getting mounted inside permanently into the dash.

e8-b-smartkey-push-button-start-car-alarm-system-2-way-with-2-key-fobs-1-600x600.jpg #ad

zinik_z31_c_ci3_l.jpg #ad

9. 20psiofevil

I like where this is going!

10. MinnesotaFats13

I'm in to see where this goes. Good luck with the build.

11. 351Frick

So at this point I've decided to go with a pushrod type suspension not because it works SSSOOOO much better, but because its something I've always wanted to do. I've picked up some Koni 8212 series coil overs (http://www.koniracing.com/rr82.cfm) in great shape that were used in a Formula One car back in the 90's to install into what I like to call "MY" ultimate Cougar project; I'm also picking up a number of Aluminum 7075 T6 based aluminum pieces to aid in assembling the pushrod (cantilever) suspension configuration (I do realize the PI cars came with a kick a$$ springs and shocks already similar to what the aftermarket is offering with a different ride height of course). The goal is to create a final numerical spring rate value which is ~750# front and 650# rear. With the installed 1400/1200# springs installed that means my crank bell will need to be about a 1.9:1 ratio and will be made out of the 7075 material on order coming in.

I've also already purchased and have some 18x8.5 lightweight rims and am awaiting delivery of some BFG GFORCE R1 tires which will be installed on all 4 corners at 225/40/18 for when I want the Cougar to really perform! These tires are supposed to be AWESOME on the street with good tread life due to their long warm up times required. I'm pumped! Link: http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire...rts-performance-tires/g-force-r1/tire-details

So that's it for now. More to come after this weekend I'm sure!

pushrod_suspension_layout.gif #ad

12. 351Frick

Well its been forever since I've posted as the project took a back seat for few months to concentrate on family and work matters but I'm still kicking.

The cougar is somewhat stripped and ready to be lifted off the remainder of its frame. The police interceptor is gutted and almost ready to trial fit the cougar shell. Aluminum and metal are now ordered to create the suspension and I'm itching to see what it looks like when the shell gets placed. Now that I've kicked back until gear there should be plenty more updates coming. Btw, if you ever want to transplant am eco-boost sho style I strongly suggest the PI. In its current form it still runs without throwing serious codes; the car also has been flashed and the throttle feels REALLY quick now, can't wait to drive it!
    20150329_161934.jpg #ad

20150408_212419.jpg #ad

20150411_201918.jpg #ad
    20150411_201934.jpg #ad

20150411_201918.jpg #ad

20150411_201934.jpg #ad

20150408_212419.jpg #ad

20150329_161934.jpg #ad

13. 351Frick

Why do all my cell phone pics post upside down damnit??!!

14. 351Frick

Well I've been told some horrific stories about modifying 2010-2014 SHOs . Some items even as trivial as you can't change the headlights or window motors without affecting the computer. I've also been told by programmer vendors that their programmer just won't work or hasn't been tested on the Police Interceptor Sedans (except Livernois whom I never actual any computer identification numbers to when asked).

So here's the real scoop. If your looking for a SHO power plant look no further than the PI models.
    As a donor car, what does the PI have over the SHO;
    Less weight
    Skid plate
    Chassis reinforced
    Bigger brake with stiffer springs
    MUCH LESS computer controlled hardware to mess with
    Cheap
    Higher amp alternator
    And I'm sure there's more I'm not thinking of

I used a factory DiabloSport i1000 and after looking at the flash log and the running trace logs I have 100% functionality with no errors.

In this short video me and little Kate drive around the yard without any running lights, all the power door components disconnected abs not even a radiator or intercooler installed. Oh ya, this project got a big green light this day.

15. 351Frick

Well I've been told some horrific stories about modifying 2010-2014 SHOs . Some items even as trivial as you can't change the headlights or window motors without affecting the computer. I've also been told by programmer vendors that their programmer just won't work or hasn't been tested on the Police Interceptor Sedans (except Livernois whom I never actual any computer identification numbers to when asked).

So here's the real scoop. If your looking for a SHO power plant look no further than the PI models.

As a donor car, what does the PI have over the SHO:
    Less weight
    Skid plate
    Chassis reinforced
    Bigger brake with stiffer springs
    MUCH LESS computer controlled hardware to mess with
    Cheap
    Higher amp alternator
    And I'm sure there's more I'm not thinking of

I used a factory DiabloSport i1000 and after looking at the flash log and the running trace logs I have 100% functionality with no errors.

In this short video me and little Kate drive around the yard without any running lights, all the power door components disconnected abs not even a radiator or intercooler installed. Oh ya, this project got a big green light.

SHO stripped and ready for Cougar shell.: http://youtu.be/UnT9_QgQSYI

16. 351Frick

Has anyone ever considered creating a new engine cradle support for the SHO? I'm thinking it doesn't need it, but would make my life easier because I'm starting the cantilever suspension and have to remove the front shock/spring and also create an upper control arm. In a way, I want to be a hack and remove the spring but just blow out the shocks so all they are would be guides.

So. Engine cradle anyone?
    I'm thinking 2"x2" 7075 aluminum with mounts for upper and lower control arms (remove the shock towers).

17. 351Frick

I've half given up on converting the front end to a sla suspension but for whatever reason I can't let that and the cantilever setup out of my head! :bang:

I'm going to ask again to those who "might" take a stab at this. Should I bother or not? Its not my daily driver and I'm in no real rush to complete. Am I posting this kind of stuff in the wrong section maybe? McPherson strut to sla isn't a new concept; just maybe on a taurus.

Ref: http://www.griggsracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=10&products_id=441

18. 351Frick

Comparison:
    t_animate_mps.gif #ad
    t_animate_sla.gif #ad

t_animate_mps.gif #ad

t_animate_sla.gif #ad

19. Ers455

Cool project

20. Twin Turbo Skylark

Hi there! I would post a thread in the "builds section", it is a super interesting project but many of us never look here in this sub section.

You video is set as "private" so you need to go to youtube and change the "security setting" so it is "public"

I use photobucket to post my pics it works great its free and the pics are nice and large:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad