1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Need turbo exhuast manifold info.

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by midnite_express, Aug 25, 2004.

1. feets

I do have a question about my build...

Does anyone know what THIS is for?

:D

2. sean

I agree with that turbododge. A carb can work but probably not quite as well as EFI. Don't know anything about EFI myself:( Need to step into the 80's one of these years.

3. Prochargedmopar

Feets,
    Your log setup looks HELLA better than your Header setup.
    Good Job!

4. 68Roadrunner

you went and welded a 2-chamber flowmaster to a tunnel ram....you hid the zip ties and bailing wire though pretty well...:D

feets , how well to edelbrocks/afb's work in forced induction applications ?

is it a better idea to use a boost prepped holley DP or the AFB route ?

5. SNYPER

If you guys can wait untill this winter I will be building a set of turbo headers for a small block in a duster this winter...Just got my shop almost all set up so I will be building a set soon....I also Have a few buddies with cudas and what not with big blocks as well as small blocks so I am going to try to mock up a few sets this winter and see if I get anyone interested. If enough people are then I will start building custom applications for whatever......
    Theese will be a nice header as well not just your back yard log set up, These will be tig welded, merge collectors, all the good stuff...untill then lets make some hp and have fun...Travis.

6. Prochargedmopar

snyper,
    hope you stick around so we can all see the progress.

7. 68Roadrunner

ill be looking forward to see what you can turn out.

8. SNYPER

I will be here!!!!! I will post some pics of my ride and some of the wrok I can do this weekend....

9. Prochargedmopar

Oh,
    BTW, What's wrong with a "log" manifold?

I thought stockers and logs were good into the upper 9's.

Personally I feel 9's would satisfy most DIY/JY type of guys that don't have the big bucks to spend.

Or is that just another turbo "myth"? Do we really need Weld el headers?

10. SNYPER

NO NO NO Dont get me wrong here a log style maniflod will work just fine up to a certian point...Not sure I have seen one in the 9's but anyway...I just like a header much better I believe that you will see much more in a header over a log style in the same motor...as well as it is much easier on the eye. ;)

11. turbododge

Just my opinion, but I don't think that log manifolds, that are carefully done, make much difference in a moderate rpm, street car. If you are going to go max boost, high rpm etc, header style may be some help. At low rpm, the logs may actually work better as they will not dissipate as much heat as the individual tubes do. A point to remember is that in you have less exhaust under boost than you do N/A, unless your exhaust is running less pressure than your intake, which is pretty rare on the street.

As far as the weld el manifold necessity, I like them because they hold up very well and are strong enough to support the turbo and wastegate without any other bracketry (which would have to be able to move with heat expansion). Far and away the biggest failure point that I have seen in home built turbo setups are cracked turbo manifolds and leaks at the head from flexing and distortion. The log, weld el, style seem to survive much better, mine are over 15 years old with 40K+ miles on them, and have never needed a repair.

12. midnite_express

I still need to know if there is a place to get turbo manifolds for small block or big block Mopars!! Wasent there a place making twin turbo kits for Dakotas???

13. Duner

Speedtweaks was building a twin turbo kit..... but they've gone under.

KRC Performance in Florida is working on one right now. KRC Turbo Page

14. 68Roadrunner

wow , i was looking at that KRC page and this caught my eye...

"KRC Turbo Comp Cam (negative 27 degrees of overlap)"

i thought zero overlap was optimal , but i was wrong lol

15. feets

The AFB requires much more work for anything over 5 psi. A Holley is much easier to build.
    That being said, I've only run the Holley when I'm playing with it. The rest of the time I'm using the AFB. The drivability and mileage are much better that way.

16. 68Roadrunner

im probably going to just get a proform main body for my 4777 and do the boost mods to it.

how terrible is the drivability with the holley ?

are we talking huge MPG losses ?

if i can keep it right at 10 mpg city with me not flogging it i will be content.

17. feets

You should be happy with the Holley.
    I drive mine much more and want better mileage.

18. 68Roadrunner

uh oh...mines a daily driver... it goes where i go. it will be on the power tour next year if i get everything in order or at least make an appearance in ft. worth.

i better start getting together a megaquirt system. :D

19. snailpower

68RR - I run a 4777/proform with blow thru mods and still pull 18 MPG on the Coronet (driven EVERY day). The drivability is great. It did take a little while to tune (and a head gasket) but I would much rather have a carb setup than EFI. I am still merging onto the information superhighway in a 75 Pinto with four bald tires and a bad miss....

Midnight_express - as far as turbo manifolds go, there are alot of options, but all take patience and welding skills. I used 91 Dodge Dakota manifolds turned backwards for the setup on my 70 B-body. I had to modify them somewhat, but it was not that hard.

20. 68Roadrunner

how much can a core 518 be had for ?