1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My twin turbo 401 sbc buildup so far

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by Orr89rocz, May 10, 2009.

1. slackercracker

I got the same heads-up about my reg on firewall before I went to track, but the tech didnt quest. it. But orlando isnt the most strict places ive been....pretty slack :2thumbs:

not hijacking thread...cant wait to see some results

Does he seem to think the SHP block will handle those power levels?

DSCN2301.JPG #ad

2. Orr89rocz

They will handle those power levels no problem from what i'm hearing. Dart rates the block at 600 but factory GM blocks werent rated that high and they have held alot of power. Carl seems to think it will hold those levels no problem as long as the tune is good, etc. I got good parts inside the motor so I am confident in it.

I am NOT confident in the heat issues by that brake booster. Just a few seconds of running already and its getting hot over there. On a WOT run its gonna get dangerous hot i'm sure, so i may have to convert to manual brakes or something

3. Orr89rocz

Well it starts and idles somewhat ok... needs lots of tuning work still but its coming around

4. slackercracker

sounds great... no knocks,dings or pops, with a little chop. gotta feel good about that :corn:

5. quick 80

sounds good keep us updated like to see it make some passes it will be a hand full good luck

6. Quik

so you going track this year?

im looking forward to starting my turbo camaro project

7. 84tt monte ss

Any updates on your build ? Did you get a chance to make it to the track ?

8. TexasTwins

I'm thinking of running a similar build but in the 380's for a better ring package with a 6 inch rod.

9. Orr89rocz

No track yet, just got it on the street last few nights ago and its driving around good. Have some waterpump issues, my electric pump is losing its prime and not pumping water causing serious overheating so i have to shut down.

i was in texas for 2 weeks for work so i missed out on some tuning time then but the car is running ok. havent been able to get on it at all, as upper rpms are still in need of tuning.

Have hit 2.7 lbs of boost tho at 3000 ish rpms or so, i gotta look at my logs again but its spooling stupid quick and I'm not even at full throttle, just a hard roll on about 75% throttle and the motor breaks up at 3800 rpm like its a rev limiter. Thinking its going lean but may have something in my tune that i need to take care of.

Running GM syclone/typhoon code and need to check my fuel cutoff factors

10. Orr89rocz

Really worked the tune over and finally was able to go FULL THROTTLE and i'm seeing 10psi so far. 11 to 1 air fuel and 25-26 degrees timing but ecm is pulling 4 so i will back down on timing abit to be safer.

Feels VERY strong. It did 47-76mph in 2 seconds according to my logs in 2nd gear. I thought it was in 3rd but rpms and my tire/gearing dont add up..unless my speedo input to ecm is bad which it could be. Either way its running hard. Needs more AE tuning and tweaking some spots such as over 5500 rpm to 6500 rpm at WOT.

Will be going to the track hopefully next weekend as this weekend looks to be rained out.

I'm just wondering why i'm seeing 10 psi with 6-7 psi springs. My guess is that my wastegate tube is NOT in the ideal spot and really only getting fed by 2 cylinders at best... but I was hoping i dont have mixed wastegate springs. JGS apparently gives 6-7 lb spring and a 13lb spring. If i had one wastegate with 13lb spring and one with 7lb, the total pressure would still be closer to 13 right and not the average of 10 psi?
    And if i did have that i would clearly notice an issue with spool up/driveability and such? I never tested the gates but i'm confident its my wastegate setup thats causing boost creep

11. fastestdriver

With the waste gate piping being at a 90 degree angle to the flow of exhaust gasses AND being before some of the cylinders....well it's deffinately not optimal. My wife's Camaro (non turbo) has an exhuast cut out on it and it comes off the exhuast at a nice shallow angle. What suprises me is how much of the exhaust still continues to go the rest of the way down the exhaust system, over the axle, and out through the muffler with the cutout wide open. That was proof to me that the moving air does not like to change directions. I don't know if you have room, kind of hard to see in the pictures, but if you could plumb the gates in where the pipe is curving up toward the turbo that would help a ton. I'm sure you'll get it, your headers display some talent!

On a side note, I F'ing LOVE this car, it's my screen saver at work LOL. Can't wait to see you get it ironed out.

-Eldon

12. Orr89rocz

haha thanks. I figured its because the wastegates arent optimal but it was the ONLY option here. I wanted this twin build to be TWIN. Each side looks almost identical to the other and thats what i wanted. Running the wastegates out front more would work better to control boost i'm sure but its near impossible to run the pipes back to the downpipe. I"d have to dump them. Its VERY tight in here

13. Quik

is it creeping or just over passing the spring? i see 16psi on a 10lb spring but i dont get any creep.

springs are just like a psi measurment, almost a guess. Springs work in relation to BPR and psi. if its just over passing then i wouldnt worry and just toss in weaker springs.

14. Orr89rocz

i dont know what that means..i thought creep was when the wastegate/spring combo cant control boost to the specified spring rate.

I aint changing the spring tho, 10 psi is what i wanted to run on the street and i'm happy with it.

15. Quik

creep is if youre seeing 10 psi then it slowly rises up and fluctuates

16. bigredmachine

Looks great

17. Orr89rocz

Doesnt appear to fluctuate... probly overboosting due to lack of wastegate volume control... its in a poor location and not seeing all the cylinders

18. Quik

mine only sees 4cylinders and mine is controlled well from my view

19. Orr89rocz

Oh well, as long as it stays at 10 psi i'll be happy with that... I need to back off my timing abit tho. COmputer is pulling 4 degrees and I have 25-26deg at 10psi... 11 to 1 air fuel. I may drop 3 degrees and lean it out some to 11.5 to 1 or so.

20. Orr89rocz

Quick vid cruising and some WOT pulls