1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My Turbo is off to Precision!

Discussion in 'Turbo Kit Feedback, Shop and Product Reviews' started by Chris95svt, Jun 1, 2004.

1. JeffFoster

What about using that inline oil filter setup? I just ordered one for Sol_93GT.

"Did you know that at high RPM much of your oil can bypass the filter and go straight to your engine and supercharger? Protect your investment by installing this secondary filter kit between the oil pump and your supercharger. It cleans all the oil going to the supercharger with a high quality automotive filter. Simply replace the filter whenever you change your oil. Because it's a standard size, replacement filters are available in any auto parts store. Your supercharger is a finely crafted piece of precision equipment. Don't let one small piece of dirt ruin your day."

2. SoL_93GT

Hell yeah, I'm installing that bitch before it's running again. I got silicone sealer on the headers and exhaust housing.

Briane

3. shawnt64

now that looks like a good ideal

4. JeffFoster

If you guys want, I can start a GP thread for those. I get them from Steeda, but I dont get a huge discount on them. Perhaps instead of going through me (Steeda dealer), I can arrange something direct through Steeda. (Dont mean to hijack this thread - Ill start another if anyone shows any interest).

Jeff

5. JeffFoster

Actually, now that I think about it - would there be a problem with drain-back? I wonder if it increases the a ount of time it takes for oil to get to the turbo on startup?

6. JeffFoster

Thats not as bad as using it in a place where it could get into the engine oil. Jadnt considered it, but I guess I might be going back to cork gaskets on intake manifolds :)

Jeff

7. Chris95svt

On all the turbo cars I have seen, I have never seen this setup on any of them. I must be out of the loop.

Call me crazy, but I have NO ROOM for that thing, let alone the fact that I think it's completely nuts to think that this will solve the problem. I have seen some turbo's go years and years without a single problem, none of which have this setup on it.. So to say that this will solve the problem, is ignorant.

8. dman

i tend to agree. i've seen way to many factory turbocharged vehicles run for years and thousands of miles without this filter set-up.. but who knows.

9. JeffFoster

To send a turbo in, have the company find debris from the engine oil, then say that this filter would not have helped to prevent it IS ignorant.

No one said it was a miracle cure, but I have seen seemingly less effective things done to cars in the name of safety and longevity. I believe Dave@Majestic has touched more turbos than most of us combined, so I tend to lean that way.

10. Turbostangman

Never use the stuff my self.

I still don't see how silicone, if it makes its way into the exhaust stream will end up in the bearing? They are closed systems and unless a seal goes do not see each other.

FWIW, my GN turbo had 198K miles on it when I got it from the original owner and he said it was the priginal turbo.

I have only had one turbo ever blow seals out and that was an old GN turbo I had on the GT.

11. TurboSN95

What if you use it on the threads of the fitting that goes to the oil line for the turbo? Can it drop in the turbo where the oil feeds?

12. SoL_93GT

Yeah I realize that, I should have said I have silicone on my oil return line, just wasn't thinking clearly. I definately think it will help if the turbo is fed by oil, free of contamination should the oil become contaminated by something you don't want on your bearings and makes it past your regular oil filter. Makes perfect sense to me. Like Dave said, some oil does go through the oil bypass.

Briane

13. JeffFoster

FYI - Most OEM turbos are setup so that the oil feeding the turbo MUST be filtered first. I do agree though - most of the cars I see do not have an additional means of oil filtering before the turbo, but maybe its a good idea....

14. Chris95svt

Just got an email, at 1:14am my time, from Rob Short at Precision.

This was the pic he sent me.. Now it's oil starvation????? Not what Harry told me on the phone.. I will be calling them tomorrow..

15. snkypete

Oil starvation? There is no way that is possible without it being a mechanical failure of the turbo with the way you were running.

16. T76

Funny thing is it poured the oil out on the dyno but it was starving. Ok... :D

17. SteedaJeff

-4 feed and 60 psi oil pressure and oil starvation????/

18. Chris95svt

Exactly. I am gonna talk to them to see what the deal is.

19. dman

yeah, it's funny how it had plenty of oil then huh???

20. dman

now, what if you had their oil filtration system on the car? same result, death!

bridal-shoal