1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My Turbo is off to Precision!

Discussion in 'Turbo Kit Feedback, Shop and Product Reviews' started by Chris95svt, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Fast SN-95

We've sold and used tons of Precision turbos and have great success with them. There have been a couple of customers that had issues, and Precision has always been quick to correct the situation.

On your turbo, were both of the wheels intact? Other than the excessive oil, were there other issues with the turbo? What size drain line were you running? It is a fairly straight shot down to the pan? What size feed line?

Later,
    Shane

2. gtluke

expect to wait a while. they owe me a PILE of turbos right now. the only one slower than precision right now is turbonetics/spearco.

3. Joe

I would have to agree on the point about Turbonetics. I can't get ANYTHING From them in a timely manner.

On the other hand, Precision has turned most of our stuff around much quicker than expected.

4. Fast SN-95

Precision generally ships our turbos within a week of the order being placed.

Later,
    Shane

5. Chris95svt

-4 feed -10 Return, and it's as direct as it gets.. The line goes from the bottom of the turbo straight to the pan, the line is almost completley straight.

Both wheels were intact, but the play in the turbo caused them to hit the housing, but not bad.

6. gtluke

if they could get me 10 turbo's that i need this week, i could move them ALL. i've been waiting on 2 particular turbo's for over 3 months now. these are NOT even custom jobs. just off the shelf gt30r's with their mitsu housings. last i heard the holdup was that they don't have any wastegate acutators and it will be 2 more weeks.

and from what i hear spearco is down to 2 intercooler builders, and one can't speak english. they owe me over 10 intercoolers and this is seriously f'ng up my buisness. for some reason last week they sent me 4 of the intercoolers i orderd, and i opened up the box and there were no end tanks :roll:
    -luke-

7. Chris95svt

So Harry called me from Precision. For starters, he was a really nice guy, a no BS type of person.. So he called me and basically said 'Well, according to your letter, I'm guilty before I even plead my case' LOL..

So we got into a conversation about what happened to the turbo, which he really doesn't know. He does know that there is a 'Rubbery substance' on the bearings which didn't come from anything on the Turbo itself. He told me that he doesn't want to jump the gun because of the letter I wrote, but, because of that letter, he wants to take advantage of the situation and educate me and the public about what causes turbos do head south.

He was very straight forward with me, and we were talking about turbo's, how they work, what the bearing does, and how oil plays a role in the turbo. Anyways, we talked about my car, and what was done to it, we talked about the power it made, and what could be improved. The turbo I run now is a fairly good match for what I am doing, but he did suggest a little bigger. He never once tried to sell me anything, just talked. After telling him about how the turbo blew on the dyno, he was going through his head what could've happened, but I think in the end, the turbo did eat something from the oil. He is sending me pics of the turbo, and the bearings. He wants me to see what he is talking about, then he wants me to call him to talk about what they can do for me.

On to the good stuff.

He was talking about the parts they will need to fix on the turbo (warranty or not these parts will need to be fixed), and what they can do to make this a turbo much better suited for my car. He said that they can EASILY upgrade the turbo to the new GTQ style bearings with a new 67 wheel that will spool faster then the 64e wheel did, about 400rpms faster. The bearings themselves are an improvement over what is in the turbo now, and that these bearings are now standard in all their 60 series turbos. The turbo will support 700hp which is better then the 64e, and is something that I would love to try on the car.

Either way, he was a really cool guy, I like people who don't BS me, and this guy was straighter then an arrow. I will post the pics of the turbo when I get them and keep you guys posted on what happens with the warranty or parts replacement.

- Chris

8. NeedaTurbo

I've talked to him before, nice guy! :tu:

9. gtluke

dude thats wierd. i think pte has a stockpile of extra 67mm wheels.
    i called with my 351 stick combo and they told me pte67gtq
    i called to get one for my friend's auto 5.0 combo
    pte67gtq
    now what do they want to put in yours?
    pte67gtq
    wierd. but i think its a good turbo
    my friend is almost done with his, (actually he posts on here, his name is mick), and mine MIGHT be done this weekend. prey for me.

10. Chris95svt

ACtually, he told me the wheel is back ordered, and I may not see the turbo for a few weeks.

11. gtluke

haha okay that makes me feel a bit better about my purchase :)

12. Chris95svt

He told me that it's a very very popular wheel for the V8 guys. He highly suggested it to me, and since my compressor wheel is shot, might as well go to that.

I'm just waiting to see how much this is gonna cost me now.

13. 1994snake

Before mine goes south as well what does he recommend for a filter?

14. Chris95svt

I will keep everyone posted when we talk again.

15. dman

so where did the rubber come from? is it RTV or something?

how come the turbo buicks can have a nylon timing gear that shreads over time and run through the oiling system for 1000's of miles but a slight contamination in a "high dollar" turbo causes catastrophic failure? i'm speaking in general, not about any specific turbo vendors.. i always hear "contamination" as the excuse,,,,, i mean reason for failure..

the turbo is fed almost directly after the filter. unless the steel braided hose we use to feed our turbos oil is breaking down. The turbo buicks used hard line (brake-line) for their feed.... hmmmm

16. Chris95svt

I hear ya.. I'm waiting to see the pics before I make any judgements.

17. shawnt64

i know cartech warns in many places in their directions not to use teflon tape

18. Eric88T

The instructions are referring to the feed fittings on the oil block?

19. shawnt64

yep and anything else that could have contact with oil. said it would end up in the turbo bearings and fuck things up

20. Chris95svt

:rolleyes:

bridal-shoal