1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My rmt TT build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Fast82z, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Fast82z

Since spooling seemed an impossibility with rear mounting these, going to front mount to see if they spool up there. Most of the work is done as I am going without a wastegate, BOV, and intercooler for the moment until it's a sure thing that they spool up good.
    [​IMG]#ad

2. BOOSTEDROK

Sweet!!!!

3. half-fast

are you going to try first without of the bloc off plates? been thinking about doing twin gt45's if running the plates and find the pressure is too high you could always trying putting some small holes in the block of side and open them up untill you get a good balance between spool and back pressure

4. Fast82z

I'm gonna try it first with the block plates, and probably also without. Might not be a bad idea to try with some opening in the plates if it seems they restrict the exhaust too much, but I suspect they won't. If they do spool well, I'd like to use quick spool valves like seen earlier in this post.

5. sn 95guy

Awesome! :welder:

6. rdakota340

subscribing!

7. Fast82z

Looks like it is a go! After 2.5 seconds on the TB it had 4.6psi and 3650rpm. After launch .34 sec, 7psi. Numbers after that were not real world since it was basically doing a burnout, but .68 sec after launch boost made it to 18.8psi. The block plates were in also, so it was only using half the exhaust housing and half the T4 port. Suppose I'll see what it does with the block plates out sometime, but I suspect it won't spool anywhere close to this without them and I'll likely be making some valves to use all the turbine once into boost. Definitely a far cry from the response with them rear mounted though.

8. BOOSTEDROK

More pics more vids :cheers:

9. Fast82z

This is a comparison of two logs, one with the block plates in, and one without. I'm surprised how similarly they spool on the trans brake, but seems the block plates respond like crazy given some rpm vs without them.
    [​IMG]#ad

10. Stav

Awesome build, nice to see people experermenting with different ideas :)

Interesting, why is that?

11. Fast82z

I didn't post a picture of it, but restricting the side further from the compressor was much better than the other way around. I'd say this is from a more consistent path for the exhaust since it only has one direction to go, and the turbine wheel has more of a scoop on the compressor side as well.

12. scatesracing

Any updates on your car.... Still running the twins ?

13. Fast82z

The wastegates I put on when changing to front mount are too small (twin 35/38mm's), and I didn't have safeguards built into my tune. It was aimed at 15psi or so and had 30 degrees of timing, but actual boost shot upwards of 24-27psi still with 30 degrees of timing. It was pulling hard in second, and even did 1.6x 60's from 3500rpm and 3psi. 1.3x 60' is possible with more stall, but the other one I have slips like crazy and I don't really know the stall since it's well above 5000rpm. Letting off 500ft out or so it still ran 11.2x. Overall: every cylinder showed black marks (exhaust) between the cylinders, and the gasket burned between 3 and 5 to the point that a D-shape melted out of the head. Also, 3 inner valve springs were shattered and I am not sure why.

So far my heads have been welded and milled flat , and replacement springs are on the way. I should make the switch to E85 soon if not now, particularly to hopefully get more stall on the converter like others seem to be getting with the switch. I'm also working and taking summer classes, so this likely wont happen at rapid speed. This setup looks like it will work well, and at worst might need more stall which isn't bad since I have yet to see anyone else use this tight of a converter as well as it is currently working. Most seem to be working with 3600-3800+ stall before boost, and mine stalls to 3100-3200 before building boost.

In the mean time I swapped in the 305 just to drive the car, and have all the fuel injection and turbo stuff on it as well. Setup a supplemental electric fuel pump since the belt drive makes the car terribly hard to start because it is only capable of ~3psi of fuel pressure while cranking. Interesting notes: the 305 stalls the converter about the same as the 406, but spooling is almost as terrible as the rmt tt 406 setup. It definitely doesn't have the exhaust flow since the controller has to struggle to make decent boost (10psi), whereas the 406 would jump into the low 20's psi while totally hanging open the wastegates.

14. BOOSTEDROK

E85 FTW.. You'll never go back.

15. Forcefed86

We need a "how long till it grenades" 305 test first! Bet you'd be suprised what you can get out of a factory stock long block and crappy heads! Pushed my factory 1.77" int and 1.50" exh valves to a 10.0 @ 137 at a blistering 5800rpm. And it's only a 231 v6.

16. Fast82z

Last time I had the 305 in with the 91mm turbo and loose converter it ran it's standard 14.4 on motor, and with something around 13psi it pulled the wheels up to run a 12.2. With the tighter converter, how slow it spools these, and only set at 10psi it ran 13.2. Maybe It wouldn't be such a bad idea to try and grenade this 305 so I have more reason to buy an LSx backup motor.

17. BoostedDownUnder

Add some spray! :chacha:

18. BoostedDownUnder

Also, can you tell us more about the 406 that used to be in the car?

19. Fast82z

It's a dart little m block 8.6:1 using forged/billet rotating assembly. Trick flow 23 degree heads with 195cc intake runners that have been matched to a 1206 gasket. Bullet solid roller cam 262/252 @ .050 116LSA 116ICL, springs VS899 1.500" O.D., roller rockers, and stud girdle. Super Victor intake with injectors added (95lb/hr). Twin TPI throttle bodies. Run on 91-93 octane thus far. Anything else you'd like to know?

20. BoostedDownUnder

No that's plenty. Thanks for the reply :2thumbs: