1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My New Project and Turbo Build: 1968 Mustang

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by EGFORDGUY, Feb 21, 2022.

1. EGFORDGUY

Wait, what’s the cold air intake syndrome?

2. nxcoupe

Lol. It stems from the fast n furious days, guys would put a cold air intake on and swear it was faster. Lol. Just a way to say the butt dyno isn't accurate at all. When you said it laid down on the big end and I saw it gain all that mph, that old phrase came to mind. Sorry.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
    Russell and Disney Lincoln like this.
  3. vht

Even longer ago, people would turn the breather top upside down and the Quadrajet would moan like crazy when the secondaries would come in, yep, she's faster!

Russell, Disney Lincoln and nxcoupe like this.
  4. Disney Lincoln

Hear them Fo Barrels open up!

a70duster, nxcoupe and Russell like this.
  5. EGFORDGUY

Ok that is funny. I was on the opposite side of that, where I thought it was not as fast!
    I guess I'm harder to impress! :)

6. Russell

I am not impressed by your 60'. The rest I think is impressive! :) Speed is relative

7. EGFORDGUY

I agree, there is work to be done in the 60' (I was just impressed overall for the cars first time out with what it has done to it)

Russell likes this.
  8. EGFORDGUY

I have been looking at fuel system options. I think I will run the Aeromotive tank assembly that has a built in fuel pump.
    It includes a 340 lph pump that from my calculations should cover me to my 650 hp goals. And then run there 13301 boost referenced return style regulator. The tank has 3/8" outlet and return fittings, so does the regulator. Is 3/8" (-6 AN) fittings going to flow enough? My last fuel system which I built was way over kill for my H.P. numbers ran 1/2" (-8AN) on the whole system.
    upload_2022-3-21_8-20-43.png #ad

9. nxcoupe

Look at the holley sniper efi conversion fuel tanks before you pull the trigger. Find the part number of the one you want and pm it to me for a good price.

EGFORDGUY likes this.
  10. nxcoupe

My car ran 9.3 with a 1.7, your good.

EGFORDGUY likes this.
  11. EGFORDGUY

Thanks, Holley offers the tanks with a 255lph pump and a 400lph pump.
    Is a 255lph pump enough? Is a 400lph pump over kill?
    From my calculations based on my H.P. goal of 650. A 255lph pump should cover my needs!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
  12. nxcoupe

Are you going to run E85. You can't have too much pump, it's not that much bigger really. I'd do the 400 lph. I'm actually doing one of their 500+ lph pump hats for my fox tank. Just make sure you use a high quality regulator that has a very large bypass orifice. Jmho

13. B E N

3/8" at the 55-58psi the Holley systems run is a lot. More than enough for your goal, even on E85. If you were on a carb at 6psi you might be in marginal territory.

The opposite side of this is as you start adding boost you have to bring fuel pressure up. So if you are running 58 psi base pressure, 12psi of boost you are running 70psi+ at the pump (+ because your regulator is at the front of the car and you will have pressure drop). A fuel pumps flow rate drops as pressure increases, so you need a bigger fuel pump. Go with the 400.

14. EGFORDGUY

I will actually be running a Carb, Just using the Holley or Aeromotive tank for simplicity of getting a intank pump.

15. B E N

Ah, that's a little different... Traditionally you would use 5/8" for 650hp under boost, but that is with a low pressure pump at the engine. I am not really sure how that works in real world with the pump at the rear and the FPR at the front.

16. Disney Lincoln

I would not run 3/8 (-6AN) with carb and boost. I would be 5/8 (-10AN) feed and -6 or -8 return depending on the pump. That's just me though.

B E N likes this.
  17. EGFORDGUY

The only thing that made me think I could run a -6an is because both the fittings coming in and out of the tank are -6.
    So if it is coming out of the tank at -6 and returning into the tank through a -6 I'm not sure running -8 or -10 in between would matter.
    If I have time today I will call Aeromotive and ask this question to there tech line.

18. EGFORDGUY

Well I could not wait I wanted a answer, Per the tech guy on the phone at Aeromotive he said to run a -6 feed line and a -8 return line and adapt the -8 to -6 right at the tank. I asked if this restriction at the tank would cause a problem and his answer was I don't think so! This does not help me build a lot of confidence in what he told me!
    I think I will have to do some more research.

PaulC-turbo5.0 likes this.
  19. B E N

Its convoluted, but you could certainly order a new tank from someone like Tanksinc and order an in tank retrofit module from someone like summit, then just redrill and tap the retrofit unit for appropriate fittings. It doesn't look like any of the billet type hats come in something bigger than -6.

20. EGFORDGUY

Update, I have spoke to so many people about fuel systems!
    My original plan of running a in-tank pump 340lph (Aeromotive) or 400lph (Holley) with a return/boost referenced style regulator.
    My big concern was the -6AN outlet and -6AN return not being enough to feed my H.P. goals (600-700). The majority of people I have talked to with real world experience (with these style tanks) dong this say to run a -6AN Feed line and a -8AN return line or -8AN Feed line and a -10AN return line. Even with the outlet and return being a -6AN I should not have a issue because the bigger fuel lines from tank to regulator and back acts as the reservoir.
    The common numbers I have heard from all these people are (Forced induction/Carb.) -6AN Feed -8AN Return up to 650H.P. -8AN and -10AN up to 800 H.P.
    An interesting point one of them shared with me is that the new Dodge Hell Cats with 717 factory H.P. have a fuel line equivalent to a -5AN (if that size existed). He was just using that as a example!
    I plan to hopefully order up my fuel system parts in the next 3-4 weeks, I just still do not have a warm fuzzy filling about all the information I have got so far, But I have talked to everyone I know to contact. I just really do not have the time or more importantly the money to do the fuel system twice!