1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

my "from n/a strip-only drag car TO street/strip turbo build"....I hope

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Raptor6.2, Mar 15, 2016.

1. BlownShovel

agreed - getting there and looking good!

2. Raptor6.2

Well it's been a busy couple weeks with a lot of little stuff getting done. Made some brackets and relocated the radiator, turned out pretty nice.
    [​IMG]#ad

3. Raptor6.2

4. Raptor6.2

I also got the hot side finished. Took the easy route and went fender exit with 9" Dynomax bullets. Wrapped everything in titanium wrap, blankets for turbos are on the way. I have had a lot of people tell me no need to run an intercooler with e-85. I figured while I had everything cut up now would be the time to add one instead of later if I did need it. Went with a water to air type 26 from FrozenBoost. The bracket is not finished in the pic. I used a couple silicone elbows for mock up, hope to have aluminum in place soon. Everything still fits behind the front nose piece/bumper.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

5. Raptor6.2

Yes, she is street legal
    [​IMG]#ad

6. Raptor6.2

And it's alive. My buddy was in the car, I was outside going through the pre start drill, and it fired right up. I was a little surprised it went that well (and excited I won't lie). This video is about 30 seconds into run time. Timing, idle and other carb adjustments had not been touched yet.
    [​IMG]#ad

7. TT31Plym

The whole cold side looks awesome! Really cool way to run that. Motor sounds great!

8. Raptor6.2

Thanks! When I first started out I thought I had a lot more room to work with. As parts started coming in I quickly ran out of real estate. It was a challenge to get everything behind the bumper- and look somewhat clean. Now working on a core support to tie everything back together. I am also trying to cut down as much under hood heat as possible, and these cars are horrible for moving air through the engine compartment so drilled a couple large holes up front in the hopes of get some airflow.
    [​IMG]#ad

9. flyinhillbilly

Looks and sounds great. Well done sir.

10. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Raptor, please check your inbox here, there's a very important message there.

11. quick85vet

This car is just wicked! Sounds great! Any updates?

12. Raptor6.2

Thanks! I have been working through one issue after another-cooling, tuning, fuel delivery. Took the car to the track for a test and tune, it was running out of fuel immediately when building boost. Not wanting to hurt any thing I loaded up and headed home. Was also getting too hot (210-215).
    For the cooling problem, ended up replacing the cheap 16" electric fan for a Black Magic extreme with shroud. I had to lower the radiator a couple inches to get the thicker fan to clear the intercooler/crossmember. Also made a small aluminum spoiler or air damn to direct air through the radiator. Cooling problems seems to be solved. I will try to get some pictures of everything together.
    As far as the fuel running out, I am still chasing it. I have replaced the regulator and worked with pressure and float settings. It is running much better, comes up on 10lbs of boost real quick and really moves out- until it runs out of fuel. At this point I am convinced I need dual needle and seat fuel bowls. I am doing some research and hope to talk to the carb builder this week.

13. quick85vet

little problems like that always suck. I hope you get it figured out so you can get a full pass in. Yeah, post up some pics when you get a chance. Have you checked your fuel pressure under boost conditions? Is the regulator boost referenced for a pressure rise when the boost does come in? Just throwing that stuff out there. Let us know when you find the problem..Good luck!!!

14. Raptor6.2

I expected to have some issues so I am not getting discouraged yet! This turbo thing is a whole new world for me, so it's been a lot of fun learning along the way.
    For the fuel system, started off with a new custom built Pro Systems e-85 blow through, Aeromotive A1000 pump, Aeromotive 100 micron filter, 13202 boost reference regulator, 10an feed, 8 return. Here is a pic of that setup
    [​IMG]#ad

I have had a few guys saying that regulator isn't really recommended for the single A1000 pump, checked Aeromotives site and they do recommend the 13204. So that is currently what is mounted. Fuel pressure is increasing with boost.

[​IMG]#ad

I think I am gaining on it. The last test drive was the best it's ran yet. Absolutely destroyed the tires coming off the two step part throttle at 3,000 rpms, lifted until it started to hook up and got back in it. Shifted high gear and started the lean miss so I immediately got out of it.

15. Raptor6.2

Tried to get a good pic of the radiator/fan but it's tucked down in there pretty well. The intercooler is bolted to a removable cross member, so it's not too bad getting to everything.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

16. 434chevelle

I put filters that size on mine once and it killed a ton of power.

17. quick85vet

Looks like you have it under control. That reg will work with the A1000, ran them before with no issues. Your work is awesome too ,by the way. I really like the way you did all the front plumbing. Looks fantastic. One question, the radiator doesn't give any trouble mounted flat like that? Keep up the good work Raptor! Bad ride for sure!

18. Raptor6.2

I know the air filters are not the best for airflow, but they are the biggest ones I can run on the street. I don't plan on running anything at the track. As far as the radiator mounted low, it is slightly angled up back to front, and my fill reservoir is high up on the intake. With the electric water pump it is easy to get all the air pockets out. I think it's in better position to draw cooler-and more-air from under the car than in the original upright location. Now that I have a high flow fan and good shroud I do not think of will have any issues. I hope anyways...because I really don't have an option "B" at this point

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  19. quick85vet

That makes sense. I have played with the idea of doing the same thing with my radiator to gain more room. Thats why i am asking. car looks great. hopefully one day mine will be at that point! Lol...

20. quick85vet

Oh yeah, what size fuel cell is that? Looks like it fits perfect in the rear hatch area.....