1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My first LS--88 Mustang GT 5.3 4L80E S475

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by TDmkr496, Apr 21, 2013.

1. TDmkr496

I will always have love you Hughes Pete, a buddy of mine had ordered the converter and came down on orders (He is in the Army) so I was able to get it for a sweet deal. I have also been impressed by how well these engines fit in a Stang, an F-body radiator literally bolts right in!!

2. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Pics or you didn't get them, lol! Seriously though, good deals.

3. TurboComet

:encouragement:

Once you run it let me know if it needs any adjustments. We've had plenty of their stuff through our facility and can tune it up if necessary. Keep up the good work!

4. TDmkr496

I had an hour of free time tonight so I hung the turbo.

image.jpg #ad

image.jpg #ad

5. BlownShovel

Amazing how limited time is.... but one day at a time Tom... It'll come together.

6. TDmkr496

Very true Walt. I managed to get the turbo positioned where I want it, I'm not very happy about the drain placement but I guess I'll have to deal with it lol.

image.jpg #ad

image.jpg #ad

image.jpg #ad

7. TDmkr496

I was able to screw with the drain last night, I think it will work out just fine. I'm waiting on some G8 manifolds to get here to figure out where I'm going to run all this pipe. The only thing that really concerns me at this point is the gas gauge. I'm going to do an F-body dash cluster and I want the gas gauge to work properly. One of my friends does alot of tuning with EFI Live on diesels and said that it should't be a big deal to scale it properly. Anyone have any advise??

8. BlownShovel

Having the friend that can work the efi will help you tremendously -- get it running close and you can tweak from there.

9. TDmkr496

Got some fab work done today, I was able to make most of the cross over and some of the down pipe. I also made a breather tank for the crank case but I didn't get a chance to take a pic of it. Got excited today for the first time in a while about the car. I'm really pleased with how everything is fitting so far.

image.jpg #ad

image.jpg #ad

image.jpg #ad

10. TDmkr496

Got the cross over buttoned up last night, I'm waiting on some 4" tubing to make the down pipe and the rest of the exhaust.

image.jpg #ad

image.jpg #ad

11. Beatdown Z

lookin good!

12. TDmkr496

I was able to get some more work done tonight, I forgot how big 4" is lol. The last pic is of the breather tank I made.

image.jpg #ad

image.jpg #ad

image.jpg #ad

13. TDmkr496

Thanks!

I wish I had more time to work on it but I've been super busy at work lately. I need to get the rear done too, going from 4.10's to 3.27's. I think I'm going to keep the turbine wheels for now lol, my friends have been busting my balls about the wheels and taillights (still has the original GT louvered looking ones) but I don't care lol.

Anyone have any experience scaling the F-body gas gauge to work with the Ford sending unit??

14. The ace

Looking good, I think you should keep those tail lights too many guys changing them

15. mustang-junky

I like the GT taillights too.

Nice build. I think the next time I need a motor for my '79, it will be an LS. Keep the pics coming.

Jess

16. TDmkr496

Yeah, I think I'm keeping the covers lol. Got the exhaust mocked up today, might redo the tail pipe but the rest of it I'm very happy with. I let the car down on the ground and there was about 1.5" between the top of the axle tube and the bottom of the pipe. So I think I'm going to have to redo it, I can't stand when you go over a bump and the friggon exhaust hits something. I was concerned that the down pipe was too low, (its about an inch below the bottom of the oil pan where it passes by the transmission) but once I set it on the ground there was still about 8" of ground clearance between it and the floor. I tucked it up as tight as I could, but that was the best I could do lol.

image.jpg #ad

image.jpg #ad

image.jpg #ad

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  17. TDmkr496

I also made a decision about the gas tank sending unit, I'm going to modify a 2000 Camaro sending unit to fit on the Stang pickup tube. That way its just a matter of getting it wired correctly.

18. TDmkr496

Redid the tail pipe today, much happier with it. Just need to do the cold side and mount the gate.

image.jpg #ad

image.jpg #ad

image.jpg #ad

19. Mnlx

Very nice work. What muffler is that?

20. jaredsamurai