1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My DIY 4v s400 Cobra

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by GPowrie, Oct 7, 2007.

1. chromeyellow

just curious, are you running stock or aftermarket k-member?

2. GPowrie

It is an old style upr k-member.

3. boom

GPowrie, liking the thread mate. Any progress on track times? what's it spooling at now?

4. MaxxMitchell

Ya, any updates on the track times? Looks like a pretty killer set up!

5. GPowrie

Long story short I have changed a ton of parts on the car and am back to growing pains. I went to a bullseye s480, broke a couple of converters and ended up with a 10" non lockup now. I also did some more upgrades to the trans, I put a 2.40 gear set in it and added a 300m stub shaft. I ended up finding a Hamilton Clarke intake a while ago also which actualy did not help the car at all, my power peak is now at 6300 instead of 6600. I wanted to go the other direction but I guess I may need to look at upgrading cam shafts. No I am fighting tring to get the new turbo to make more than 18lbs of boost. It is all turning in to a headache.

6. 99TTGT

looks great!
    why GT cams?
    don't the OEM 96/98 rev higher?
    thank's

7. GPowrie

When I had the stock intake the GT cams were going to about 6600 which is about the same as the stock cams would have gone with the ci of my motor. The GT cams made more power though. At this point the combo has grown out of the cams though and I am actualy tring to sell the GT cams. I have order a set of custom comp's that I hope will work out perfect and fix the problem. I did actualy have Bullseye send me a 75 to test and see if it was the intake or the 80 which the turbo swap made no difference. So that pretty much made up my mind that the HCI intake and the GT cams just don't like each other. I should have the cams here and in the car by the end of next week so hopefully I will have some good results then.

8. 99TTGT

how much you want for the gt cams?

9. GPowrie

I think they might be sold but I am looking to get $425 for them.

10. 99TTGT

thanks

11. spyderturbo

Hey man,
    What are you running for headers? in one of the pictures it looks like a hot pipe is close to the rack boot. do you have any issues with that?

12. GPowrie

They are the headers are turbocharged innovation parts. They do make the the crossover sit rather close to the rack boots but I have not had a problem yet. I did use offset bushings to get it as far away as possible.

13. boom

GPowrie, when were you seeing boost with the S400 75mm, and when are you seeing boost with the S480???

14. GPowrie

I have been seeing boost at 3600rpm with all turbo combos I have run. What is realy changing is how fast the ramp up from the time boost starts untill it is full in. The 75mm with a 1.32 housing was full in at 5600, the 80mm with the 1.32 was in at the same 5600. The new 80mm with the 1.10ar 87mm turbine is full in at 5200.

15. boom

sweet, how fast do you reckon a 75mm 1.10 ar would spool on a 5.0? im aiming for at least 3500rpm.

cheers man

16. GPowrie

Your engine is the same size as mine. When you say 1.10a/r I am going to assume you are going with the standard 83mm turbine, mine is a custom unit with a 87mm wheel in it. If so I think you may see boost at 3500 but probably not all of it untill about 5000.

17. boom

the S400 in question is the 75mm extended tip wheel from dave@majestic.

cheers mate. keep us updated with the stang.

18. sharkster

Man these borg warners just SCREEEEEEEAM

19. trueblue02

i love this car it is wicked keeps up posted on updates