1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

my 94 cobra 351w/th400/s480 build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 94 cobRa, Sep 23, 2014.

1. bgjohnson

You really need to get a better base tune. I think things are so messed up you are just trying to put bandaids on a horrible base.

Unless you recalibrate your wideband, stoich for e85 is still 14.7:1.

2. 94 cobRa

I don't think it's a horrible base tune. There might be a setting wrong or something. The car drives good until boost then it's too rich.

I know e85 and gas both use lambda value of 1. That's not a issue here

3. racerron67

under the required fuel for the AFR setting for e85 should be 9.0. that will put you in a good range on the VE table

4. racerron67

I agree with 94 Cobra. it does not matter if it's e85 or regular gas

5. 94 cobRa

If I change it to 9 and switch my gauge to rear e85 stoich will that actually change the tune or will things just display differently. If it does change the tune somehow what else would I need to adjust? Required fuel? Right now my gauge and tuner studio are using gas scale which I am comfortable with and prefer to use for now.

6. racerron67

you would just change the requiring fuel calculations.where as you engine size, injector size and stoichiometric. this will just make your numbers on your ve table more manageable.right now there is not a lot of difference between your idle numbers and your hi boosted numbers. for example my numbers start at around 67 kPa which i think is around 45 on the VE table and then ramp up to 200 kPa which the numbers on the ve table top out at 255.so essentially there is a wide gap between 45 and 255.so to answer your question you would have to retune your ve table.

7. racerron67

8. 94 cobRa

So change the stoich to 9, recalculate the req fuel, and retune the ve table and that might fix my probem?

9. 94 cobRa

Do you use a 1:1 fuel pressure regulator that increases fuel with boost?

10. racerron67

yes I have a one to one fuel pressure regulator.Yes under the required fuelwhere you set your cubic inches an injector size, in which it will change your required fuel.I sent you a personal message.

11. bgjohnson

Don't change from the gas scale. Put a copy of your MSQ up here. I'll take a look at it.

12. 94 cobRa

Will post shortly

13. 94 cobRa

14. bgjohnson

Just a question. You have a real time BARO wired in along with the MAP on the board?

15. 94 cobRa

yes there is also a BARO inside the box

16. bgjohnson

Gotcha.

Everything looks pretty decent. Besides the VE table needing some heavy working on, all the settings seem ok. You do have additional add ons that I haven't worked with before, so I cant say 100% on those.

I'd just make sure your wideband is working correctly, verify with another one, or calibrate it if it has a fresh air calibration.

I would disable your EGO control for now until you get a better table figured out.

Just log your driving around with light throttle pulls, then use the auto tune feature on megalogger to adjust. Once its learned a few times, log some harder throttle pulls. Use those log files to start tuning higher up.

17. 94 cobRa

i have tpsdot threshold to 1000 just to keep it out of the equation.

18. 94 cobRa

Thank you for looking.

How do I disable the EGO control? I have it switched to "dont include AFR" under general settings. Is that what turns it off?

I can do some driving gradually getting heavier on the throttle pulls with megalog autotune in between rounds like you suggested and see where it ends up. Im sure the table will end up with very low numbers on top like talked about, but i guess ill try anyways see what happens.

I had somebody suggest to unplug the vacuum to the fuel regulator to disable the 1:1 fueling. any suggestions on that?

19. bgjohnson

Leave the regulator, that's a must have for boosted cars.

Go under Fuel control, AFR/EGO control. Put it to DISABLE or NO CORRECTION

I've done a few tables from scratch. I've gotten to where I can get a decent tune on the car within a couple days of logging, correcting, and repeating until it's close. Then dyno to get the kinks out, just use that logger!

20. 94 cobRa

I will give it a shot! should i not worry about what numbers are coming up on the top end?