1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

my 94 cobra 351w/th400/s480 build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 94 cobRa, Sep 23, 2014.

1. 1hcam

Looks pretty nasty. Good luck at the track.

2. 94 cobRa

i have eliminated the coil as the issue.

- - - Updated - - -

still breaks up at 6k

3. Troy

Pushrods

4. flyinhillbilly

That sounds a lot like what my 6AL's were doing. I went through several in one summer, always the same symptoms except for once when it just laid down and wouldn't run at all.

5. 94 cobRa

Pushrods are not the issue.. Lol

6. Troy

I understand, just trying to help. I have built and raced a lot of Fords, just going off what I have seen in the past. Good luck on your build.

7. 94 cobRa

Thank you for the input

8. ricky

so,how is this ride going? get the miss figured out?

9. BERT306

MSD coil? I'd try a stock one.

10. nxcoupe

Nice build! Is it a miss or just won't rev past a certain point? Are you running the long reach plugs, like an autolite 3923? I've seen guys put stock head plugs in aluminum heads and have issues because the plug os sitting up in the spark plug hole. Just tossing it out there. I had a converter do this to me. Wouldn't pull past 5200 in high gear. Swapped it out and revved smoothly to 6k. Hope you get it figured out.

11. 94 cobRa

I am still having issues. 6,000 rpm under boost is about all it does before breakin up.

I am using ngk #8 plugs and a new PTC 9.5 converter specd for this combo.

It is a msd coil, I have tried other known working coils

12. glhs0426

I just scanned back through most of this thread and noticed you said the rpm wall hit in or out of boost, loaded or unloaded (free rev). The problem almost has to be an rpm signal issue. What does the composite logger show when the rpm hits the wall? A friend of mine installed a signal conditioner to correct his issue and I just installed a hall effect sensor in my setup to counter any possible VR signalling issues. There is a lot of good information in this DIY Autotune article.

13. 94 cobRa

It will rev to about 6800 free reving before cutting out.

Less with boost.

14. glhs0426

You have made progress! Earlier in you stated the wall hit @ 5-5100 no matter what.

15. 94 cobRa

over the months i got it 6000. not really sure how. it def hasnt been one specific thing

16. 94 cobRa

i got it to go to about 6600 (7000rpm limiter) at about 10psi with more timing. need to turn it up some and see what happens.

its better, but still wont go to the limiter (not that i even need it to go that high right now) but its still a problem. I cant run it out in 3rd gear. IT breaks up and falls on its face before the traps

17. 94 cobRa

I wanted to update the thread in regards to the megasquirt PNP2.

The megasquirt, like almost anything else, has a learning curve and although for me it was MILES easier then Moates QH/BE it still took a little time.

With that being said, I am happy with the megasquirt and dont regret the purchase at all. The only thing I am not a fan of, is i cannot upgrade to crank trigger setup with it. I think maybe I am having some ignition/tfi issues and I wanted to try something besides TFI but not possible with the megasquirt. I could do EDIS but i dont wanna do that either.

ALSO... tune ability wise, i find it very easy to tune, EXCEPT for accel enrichment which at this point not sure if its even possible to fix with my car for some reason. no matter what it spikes lean on WOT. If i add enrichment, it spikes lean then goes super rich. i dont think it will ever be right to be honest, but not and issue racing as I got WOT on the t brake

18. 95MustangGT331

Do you have a log of when this happens?

19. turbostang500

Sorry if this is a repeat, and likely is, but did you ever verify the 0° on the balancer ring is in fact TDC?

20. 94 cobRa

When what happens? It stops pulling rpm? Ya. TONS of them.