1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

my 94 cobra 351w/th400/s480 build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 94 cobRa, Sep 23, 2014.

1. 92LX-5.8

Any head will be a big step up from the stockers, I run 1970 351w heads with bigger valves and good valve springs and I am very pleased with mine. No need to spend lots of money just let the turbo do its thing!

2. 1hcam

What heads were on the 418?

3. 94 cobRa

I had some home-ported RHS 215 heads on the 418

4. ricky

anything new on this build? just curious how its working for you

5. 95MustangGT331

I would like to read about an update also.

6. 94 cobRa

I have been on a mission lately to figure out my rear suspension. I have been working out getting my anti-squat, instant center length and height and all that stuff into a range that I think is acceptable. Currently with my housing, the car is going to look like a 4x4 to get the suspension right. A new housing may be my only option.

Got the car on the scales also-

Car weights 3104 race weight without my 160lb ass in it.

- - - Updated - - -

I didnt think people were still paying attention LOL. I could post some updates on some new changes tomorrow

7. ricky

you are running a 9",correct? what housing is it? teamz has a nice setup, with the upper mounts notched into the center section area of the housing,with three mounting points If I remember correctly.

8. ducatibrian

Where did you end up with the ride height at the fender lip? Just curious. Nice build

9. 94 cobRa

yea its a 9" quicktime performance housing. I looked into the team z housing. There is a strange/team z housing with the upper mount in stock location and there is a adjustable housing with 3 mounting points on top and 4 on bottom which is the one i would probably go for. Its about $1100 +/- $150 for powdercoating.

I emailed and called them but havent got too much help. Some lady kept trying to sell me some street kit, which wouldnt work with my 9" and tried to explain to her but didnt get very far. I emailed in and didnt get a whole lot of help as far as what products they suggest for my situation. I might just get the numbers acceptable with the car lifted 10' in the air and test it out LOL

- - - Updated - - -

I will know tonight, I am installing some solid rear lower arms with stock springs. Ill post results

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  10. 94 cobRa

here is what a stock mustang sorta looks like-

[​IMG]#ad

here is mine plotted with mega bite jrs on lower hole, 9" and adjustable uppers-

[​IMG]#ad

My antisquat is way high which is why the body seperates so much on the hit. It 60 ftd 1.42 with the suspension like that, so im hoping straightening it out will drop my into the 1.3x

11. 94 cobRa

Took some quick measurements after putting team z lowers in and got this-

[​IMG]#ad

This is what the program says if I lower the car .5" (cut rear coil).

[​IMG]#ad

The car sits @ 28 7/8" in the back. doesnt looks very good but hopefully it works better. I think Ill try it with the springs uncut first.

this is with me in the car wit 1/4 tank of gas -

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

12. ricky

and there is a adjustable housing with 3 mounting points on top and 4 on bottom which is the one i would probably go for. Its about $1100 +/- $150 for powdercoating.

that's the one I am thinking about going with..lil more than I wanted to spend..but the housing that I have in the car,we put together quite some time back..its a moser housing..we had changed the upper mounts,and use a upper control arm just like what they are using for the adj upper mounts

problem with my housing,is that it needs to be notched for the upper mounts,like what they have..and my housing will not allow it..allways something,lol

13. 94 cobRa

Would u mind posting pictures of ur housing

14. ricky

hey,i can do that for you..its kinda hard to see under the car,but I need to pull it out anyway..maybe I can get away from work this weekend and get it pulled out

15. 94 cobRa

Ok little update-

The car made 379whp on a mustang dyno at a different location which sort of backs up the dynojet pulls of 405whp.

Never made it back to the track so best time are posted above. Couple buddy's pulled on me by couple car lengths so had to upgrade-

Tfs 11r 190/66cc street port heads
    Arp head studs
    8.5" pushrods
    Trickflow rockers
    Tfs stage 2 cam
    Open up the intake manifold a little

In the process of slapping it back together. Hope to try and play with it on the dyno this week before the weekend.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

16. 1hcam

Man egos are expensive. :) very cool

17. 73Runabout

How was the valve clearance with those heads? This thing is going to fly now!

Keep us posted.

-Tony

18. 94 cobRa

I couldn't even get the valves to touch the playdoh. Tried 3 times lol

19. 94 cobRa

Valves covers hit the booster and alternator because of the raised tfs head rails

20. 73Runabout

Thats awesome! The revise valve angles must make a lot more room. Can't wait to see this thing go.

-Tony