1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

my 94 cobra 351w/th400/s480 build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 94 cobRa, Sep 23, 2014.

1. bgjohnson

I'd just see where you end up. If the idle cells are close or the same as your WOT cells, there is something going on. Could have something to do with your low impedance injectors, I've never played with those before.

2. racerron67

if you're running low impedance injectors you have to limit the PWM to 33%

3. 94 cobRa

How do you do that? I just has a spot for battery offset and deadtime

4. racerron67

there should be something there for pulse width limiting

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to be back at my house in about 15 minutesif you want give me a call

5. 94 cobRa

went to the dyno today. the breakup issue seems to be gone. I ended up using the autotune and megalog VE analyzers to get the air.fuel leaned out to 11.2 under boost. The VE table still doesnt look right to me, the WOT VE numbers still seem low but im getting the AFR Im targeting.

Timing in the megasquirt was 20* but it may have been reading a few degrees short during the pulls accord to someone holding the timing light during the pulls.

Made 351hp with 11lbs
    Made 405 with 16lbs
    Seems to be all done by 4750 rpm.

Does it seem like its making the power it should? Im not expecting more just trying to figure out if its where its supposed to be.

Thank you for everyones help to get me this far

[​IMG]#ad

6. 1hcam

I'm assuming it's running good? Have a little fun with it. I thought it would make a lot more than it did though at 16lbs. Did he calculate converter slip for you?

7. Mustangbrad94gt

does seem a little low, they say 15# will double your n/a, using this, your n/a would be a tad over 200

8. bgjohnson

Get some heads and a turbo cam on that thing, you'll pick up 100 hp at those same boost levels, I guarantee it.

9. afterfire

Get your timing to an honest 22* and I bet you find the power you were looking for.

10. 94 cobRa

I think that maybe the VE table numbers not being right might be related to the low power issue. max boost numbers (200kpa & 3000rpm+) are not a very high numerical value compared to the idle numbers. If the table is supposed to represent airflow, then it looks like its not flowing any air up there... It looks like the rpms take a shit and stop pullling right around 4500-4600 which is also the point it reaches max boost. 200kpa and 4600 rpm on the graph/table is when it stops pulling hard. It pulls all the way to max boost and then it seems to die off at soon as boost peaks. boost/KPA stays consistent but power/rpm acceleration decrease. maybe its the cam maybe its tune related. I dont know.

[​IMG]#ad

11. bgjohnson

Well, you do have stock heads/cam. So you aren't flowing very air at all. When the fuel pressure raises, the injectors don't need to open as much.

I'm not surprised by those #s with that many stock parts.

12. afterfire

I know this isn't an apples to apples comparison, bgjohnson, but considering that 1hcam ran low 10's on a stock PI headed 2v 4.6 and trbo355 did low 9s on a small cam 355 with 1.84 intake valves, I would think that a stock headed 351 would be good for more than 405whp at 16psi.

13. bgjohnson

Stock PI heads flow rivers compared to truck heads and cam. Buddy of mine did a 100% stock 302, only did 340 hp @16 psi . It's not out of the realm of possibility.

14. bgjohnson

But this is going through an auto. There's no reason this setup won't get into the 10s with good traction and nice weather. As everybody on here says, take it to the track, you might be surprised.

15. bigt_45

What are the torque numbers?

16. 94 cobRa

im not sure why it didnt read tq. he said something about using the dyno brake also to load the car, im not too sure. Said it wouldnt do much better with the brake off.

I made it to the track and got a few slips. I made several 1/8 passes then ran it out one time the full 1/4 before we got some rain and had to stop. This is on 16psi pretty much same tuneup as on the dyno graph

1/8 mile pass then on the brakes-

[​IMG]#ad

1/4 mile -

[​IMG]#ad

17. bgjohnson

Dude that's great!

I'm glad you took it to the track. That shows its making more than the dyno showed by about 75-100hp

18. 1hcam

Congrats. That's pretty good time for the mph. Keep working man. I think there's a good bit left in it.

19. bigt_45

Nice! Yeah you're making about 500-550 hp to the wheels I'd say, prolly even higher torque.

20. 94 cobRa

thanks ! I am happy to see those times vs the dyno numbers. not sure whats up with that dyno. Iv used it before and had more accurate numbers that lined up with my track performance with other engines I had. Maybe the dyno is a pos now LOL