1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My 72 Mercury Comet Build.....

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by franktf, Jan 13, 2013.

1. franktf

Today I got all the filler panels welded in around the tank frame.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  2. franktf

This morning I added a couple inches to the length a of the rear cage plates to get them to a legal size..... Then I made a frame to level the right side floor so I have a place to mount the battery box and welded it in..... Next I made a small filler panel for the rear center of the floor and welded it in..... Last thing I did was clean most of the flaking trunk paint off the inner quarters.....

Here is the extended floor plates.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the battery box mount.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

The small filler in the rear floor.....

[​IMG]#ad

and the inner quarters after getting most of the paint off them.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

3. franktf

Today I got the cut off switch bracket welded in and the hole made for the rod in the rear panel..... I put the Aeromotive tank in place that I am actually using so I could make up a support to hold the spare tire clear of the fuel pump hanger assembly and lines..... So I made the spare tire bracket and mounted it in place.....

Here's the cut off switch bracket, assembly and rod through the rear panel.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here's the Aeromotive tank in place, spare tire bracket and with the spare in place.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

and here's a couple with everything in place I have been working on this weekend.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

4. Mustangbrad94gt

like the spare tire mount

5. franktf

Thanks, I just wise it didn't take so long doing all these little detail things..... :bah:

6. stillridin

Making some good progress.

7. 74chlngrTT5.9

That is why there are so many uncompleted projects available.

Very clean setup back there.
    mike.

8. franktf

Thanks

and thanks.....

9. franktf

First thing I had to today is get the car outside and clean up the shop, it was getting hard to work and everything was covered in grinding/sanding dust..... After blowing and vacuuming the car out I did take the time to sand the rest of the trunk area, also got some seam sealer in all the new joints and old ones I dug out..... Tomorrow I am going to get some paint in the trunk area to keep it from surface rusting.....

Here's the car just sitting outside.....

[​IMG]#ad

and here's the trunk area all seam sealed up and ready to be painted.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

10. franktf

Today I Put a feed tube in the tail light panel and guide on the chute mount for the release cable..... After that I cleaned up the trunk area and outer quarter area all the way up to the door jambs..... Then I painted it all with a coat of POR15 and a coat of Rustoleum.....

Here's the mock up with the chute release cable through the guides.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

and here's the trunk and quarter areas after painting.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

11. rdakota340

That's what I'm talking about man that look's great Frank you going to be ready for Turkey Rod Run LOL!

12. Twin Turbo Skylark

Awesome build!!!

13. franktf

Thanks..... I highly doubt that.....

and thank you too.....

14. franktf

I didn't go to the shop at all on Saturday this week, my father has been wanting to go check out fantasy of flight so we did..... I did get a little work done this morning..... I sanded down the under rear seat area and paint it..... I also painted the rear cage area, basically all the bars behind the main hoop..... Then I got the car up on jack stands so I can get a driveshaft loop in it and remove some unnecessary retaining tabs from the floor pan.....

Here's the under rear seat area after painting.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

and here's a few shot of the rear cage area painted.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

15. turbofreek

Man I feel for you. I have to paint my floors next and I am not looking forwarx to the preclean side of it.

16. franktf

Today I made a Metco 65 Mustang driveshaft loop fit the Comet..... I had to cut the mounting ears off, trim some off them and weld them back on..... After that I removed the 3 brake line mounting tabs from the left side of the trans tunnel, also removed the e-brake pivot bracket(I have a couple holes to repair in the floor from the e-brake bracked, it was a real bitch to get off)..... Then I started cleaning up the lower floor pan from the middle of the tunnel to the pass side rocker.....

Here's the driveshaft loop in place before I tacked it together.....

[​IMG]#ad

Here's the before and after of the brackets I removed.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

and here's the floor area I a cleaning up.....

[​IMG]#ad

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  17. rdakota340

Hey great idea on the loop im gonna steal that for mine thanks our projects is keeping us off the streets LOL!

18. franktf

Steel whatever you want my friend..... They definitely keep us busy, too busy..... I keep saying this is the last one, until I see the next one that is.....:cheers:

19. franktf

Today I got the floor pan completely down to bare metal between the firewall seam and the seam just in front of the rear seat..... I also added stand offs for the inner seat belt mounts and crotch strap mounts in both sides..... Then I applied some Eastwood internal frame paint in the front subframes and trans crossmember reinforcement..... I put some seam sealer where needed on the underside and painted the floor inside the car from the lower firewall seam back.....

Here's the floor pan cleaned up top and bottom.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here's the inner seat belt standoff and crotch strap mount(this mount is plug welded through to the end of the front subframe).....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

and here's the inner floor painted.....

[​IMG]#ad

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  20. turbofreek

What paint are you using for the floor? I as gonna use rubber undr coating on mine tomorrow. For sound deadner and sealer all in one.