1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My 72 Mercury Comet Build.....

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by franktf, Jan 13, 2013.

1. franktf

There back now, I had a little issue with photobucket.....

2. franktf

Removed all wiring harnesses, hood and master cylinder today.....

Not much to take pic's of, but here's a couple anyways.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  3. franktf

Today I remove the steering column, column shift linkage off brackets off frame, brake pedal brackets, wiper assembly and driver side cowl vent..... I also started welding the rocker bar to the floor where it is notched through the seat mount area.....

The condition of things in this car are still amazing me as I remove them from the car..... The condition of the cowl area, firewall pad and all the wiper linkage is like new..... I think the glue syco work under the cowl on this car.....

Here's what it's looking like with everything but the dimmer switch and speedo cable removed from the interior(also a couple of the driver side vent area).....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here the firewall pad and heater hose grommets I removed.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

4. azstangboy

Amazing how clean everything is on that car!

5. franktf

Made the filler pieces and finished welding in around the rocker bars where they are notched through the floor this morning..... I also removed the rear brake and fuel vapor lines that run along the inside of the trans tunnel..... Then I used a wire brush on the old 4" grinder to remove the surface rust and loose stuff off the middle floors between the rockers and trans tunnel.....

6. franktf

Today I got everything except the power steering pump disconnected so I can remove the engine/trans from the car..... I also remove the rear bumper and rear valence panel..... Then I had to find places to put a lot of this stuff I have been removing over the last couple weeks so I have room to work.....

Here's a couple pic's.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

7. Mustangbrad94gt

have you decided on what heads yet?

8. franktf

I think at this point for this motor I am just going to get a set of Edelbrock E-Streets..... There cheap, aluminum and flow pretty good numbers.....

9. Mustangbrad94gt

I think thats a good new head for your budget shortblock, I've seen them for 895.00, hard to beat that

10. craig6.9diesel

I have a set of Performers on my 5.0 and they seem to work very well.

11. franktf

First thing I did this morning was fix some lights in the shop, 2 have been out for a while and a 3rd went this morning..... Balasts were done so a trip to home depot for 3 new light assemblies was necessary..... After that I remove the engine and trans from the Comet..... Then I cleaned floor in the shop and turned the car around and put it back inside.....

Here's the latest.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

12. franktf

I remove the tail lights, quarter end cap and trunk lid from the car this morning..... After that I proceeded to make a big hole in the trunk floor for the drop in gas tank..... Then made the support rails for the sides of the tank and got them tacked in place.....

Here it is after removing everything off the rear.....

[​IMG]#ad

Here it is with a big hole in the trunk(it's almost a shame to remove a piece of trunk floor that is in that condition), and the mock up tank propped in place.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

The tank side support rails.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  13. 74chlngrTT5.9

So did the original tank set inside the trunk on the sheet metal or just hang below?
    Is that new tank for a Mustang? That looks like the one in my 68. What are the fuel pump plans? In tank? That doesn't have the provisions for it.

14. franktf

The original tank hung from straps underneath..... That is an early Mustang tank, but this one is just for mock up purposes..... The tank I am using is an Aeromotive stealth replacement for the early Mustang with one of there 340 stealth pumps in it(part number 18697).....

15. 74chlngrTT5.9

Thanks, when I get motivated (and a new job) I will work on converting mine to FI. Tired of di@#ing around with carbs. Never ending issues with the blended fuel that we have here in California. Local shop that I get my lines and fittings from finally gave up and will only sell the teflon lined hoses.

Sorry for the off topic. Back to your build.

Mike.

16. stillridin

Love the build. Where in Jersey did you pick it up at? And how did you find it?

17. franktf

I found it through the Maverick/Comet forums..... It spent most of it's life in the NJ vintage automobile museum..... The guy I got it from was a member of the museum, he bought it from the museum about a year before I got it from him..... Luckily he had it at his house a little more inland then the museum, when hurricane Sandy went through the museum sustained a lot of damage to both the building and cars.....

18. stillridin

What a great find. That's a long road trip.

19. stillridin

That's funny! I just looked up the museum cause I didn't remember it when I lived up there. Turns out it didn't open till 2000 and I had already moved before than. Anyway I played the video on the website and the list of cars they had. And your car was still listed there.

20. franktf

I finished the gas tank mounting frame this morning..... After that I took some measurments for the sheet metal needed and went by work to cut what is necessary.....

Here is the finished frame.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

and with the tank sitting in place.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013