1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My 72 Mercury Comet Build.....

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by franktf, Jan 13, 2013.

1. franktf

This morning I took the Grabber rear spoiler I purchased a while back to the shop so I could strip all the paint off it..... I stripped it and found the center section was in excellent shape(only has one small scrape in the top edge)..... The pass side end cap looks great, but the driver side end cap had been hit and bondoed at some time or another(I think it will be OK, but I will know for sure once I can test fit it on the car).....

Thursday afternoon I went by the chassis shop and there had been no progress on the car since the previous Thursday..... I had a little discussion and to my surprise when I went over there this morning the chute mount was done, the side bars were tacked in place, the right side rocker bar was bent, the dash bar was made and he was welding on it..... He said he was going to finish it before he touched anything else, so with any luck I should be able to pick it up before mid week.....

Here's the spoiler before and after stripping, and a couple showing the damage.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

and here's the cage and chute mount updates.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  2. 74chlngrTT5.9

Nothing like a little "discussion" to refocus the effort.
    Is the chute mount removable???

Eagerly awaiting the next installment.

3. franktf

Yes, it has a cross bolt in front of the valence panel..... He put the hinge bracket on the tag, when you pull the chute mount out it flips up and covers the tube..... I am not sure at this point if I am going to use that tag bracket or just put a hole in the tag.....

4. franktf

Almost forgot, I just got back from the chassis shop again and he was just pushing the cage back up in place after welding around the top of everything.....

5. turbofreek

Man I always loved those tail lights like that. can't wait to see how she runs and looks completed.

6. franktf

I was at the chassis shop this afternoon and found out it is finally done..... I could not get it today due to the fact it was raining..... It is supposed to be nice in the morning, so I will get it back to my shop in the am..... Once I get back to my shop I will take some pic's and post them up.....

7. 74chlngrTT5.9

Eagerly awaiting the update pics...

8. franktf

Whoo Hooo!!!!! It's finally back in my possession..... First thing when I got it back to my shop was take some pictures..... Then I removed the window net, door bars and chute mount..... Next I mounted the over head switch panel and shifter..... Last thing I did was work on getting the chute release lever mounted beside the shifter.....

Here's some pic's of the completed cage.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here it is with the door bars, window net and chute mount removed.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here it is with the shifter and over head switch panel mounted.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

and here is the beginnings of the chute release.....

[​IMG]#ad

9. craig6.9diesel

10. rdakota340

Awesome Frank looking great!!

11. franktf

Thanks guys.....

12. azstangboy

Way cool ride my first car was a 71 comet and absolutely love these cars. It's a rare find to see them which is why they are so cool. Keep up the good work!

13. franktf

Sunday morning I removed the shifter and seats..... Then I removed the dash(that was no easy task with the cage in the way)..... After that I took the heater box out(I am still amazed with the condition of the parts on this car and how every retaining clip for everything is there).....

Now I was able to inspect the cowl area for rust, I have been a little worried about it because I was getting some water in the carpet after washing it or some rain..... When I removed the windshield I looked at closely and could not tell if it was leaking..... I am happy to say the cowl look great and has no sign of rust at all..... I was able to determine after close inspection once the dash was out of the way the leak was coming from the corner of the windshield(I was able to find a trail from the corner of the windshield opening down the dash and down behind the kick panel).....

I think next week I am going to remove the entire factory wiring harness(the wiring looks like new and I am not going to use it)..... I may try to sell it, it should be worth a few buck to someone.....

Here it is with the dash out of the way.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

and here is the cowl area after removing the heater box(the heater box foams and seal are in perfect shape).....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

14. turbofreek

Just know if you roll that car over. Expect a broken leg at minimum. Why the hell is it so damn low? That would scare the hell out of me personally. If you had it up top it would also be out of the way for future a/w intercooler stuff. jmho

15. franktf

It's not as low as it appears in the pic's.....

16. 74chlngrTT5.9

Okay I have to ask now that this car is close to the same completion point of the Maverick, are you going to trade it of for another or keep going with this one?
    It's kind of like having one of your favorite shows canceled mid season. lol.

mike.

17. franktf

This one is getting put together, I just had to have it because of the amazing condition of the Comet..... I like having a car that didn't need all the rust repairs.....

18. 74chlngrTT5.9

Originally coming from Wisconsin, I absolutely understand.
    That is one of the underlying reasons why I never let my car go even though there were many many years I could barely only afford to keep it status quo.
    It still has all the bit parts in good condition.
    mike.

19. turbofreek

No but its the first think your shin is gonna come into contact with. Gonna hurt really bad.

20. mustang-junky

Pics all gone?

Jess