1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My 72 Mercury Comet Build.....

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by franktf, Jan 13, 2013.

1. TwoFastT3s

x2

Getting ready to start on my 63' Fairlane, need some pointers... ;-)

2. franktf

Thanks, I just use Kleen-strip stripper in the gold can..... Along with that I use a scraper and a small wire brush to help get the paint off..... I wash it down after that with some lacquer thinner to get the residue off.....

3. franktf

Went to the shop this morning, sanded and masked the springs so I could paint them..... I put a coat of POR15 on the springs and rearend housing..... While I was waiting for them to dry for a while I went over and checked to see if any progress on the cage was made yet..... I was very pleased to see the plates being welded into the floors and rockers, it's not alot of progress but atleast progress was being made..... After I got back to my shop I put a coat of Chassis Coat on the springs and housing..... I let that dry for about an hour and textured the housing.....

Here's the springs after the POR15 and Chassis Coat were applied.....

[​IMG]#ad

Here's the springs after drying for about an hour.....

[​IMG]#ad

Here's the housing right after texturing(I see what it looks like after int dry's tomorrow).....

[​IMG]#ad

Last but not least, the plates for the cage being welded in.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  4. franktf

Not much to update yet, but I got a couple pic's of the springs and rearend after drying overnight..... I went Tuesday afternoon to see if any progress had been madeon the Comet yet, about all that got done is the front floor plates were also welded in..... They are closed Sunday and Monday, I was told they just picked up the order of materials for the cage shortly before I got there..... I will be going by there tomorrow afternoon, hopefully some progress will be made.....

Here's pic's of the springs and rear after drying.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

and here's the front floor plates for the cage welded in.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

5. franktf

A little progress has been made on the cage install, the main hoop was made and tacked in place when I went to check on the car today..... He's got it fitting really tight around the side..... Here's a couple pic's.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

6. franktf

Holy sheet, there has been some progress..... We decided to go with a rear halo style setup, it was the only practical way to get the rear plastic's and seat in and out and meet the certification rules on rear bar angle(progress shown in the pic's below).....

I also picked up a set of iron GT40 cylinder heads, odly they have no emissions passages..... I bought them as good rebuildable cores so I disassembled them down to the bare castings, then took the over to the machine shop for hot tanking/clean up and to have them inspected for cracks.....

Here's some roll cage progress pic's from the last couple days.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

7. franktf

A little more roll cage progress was made, but not alot.....

I have also been collecting some more parts together for this project..... I managed to reaquire my old blow-thru carb from my 85 Mustang Coupe project..... I also picked up a V8 belly bar with bolts, a Master Power T70 turbo and a 170,000 mile 90 Mustang GT 5.0 longblock.....

The 5.0 was apart but everything looked to be in decent shape, and for $125 I didn't think I could go wrong..... I started checking thing out with the motor and found the crank had been turned before, but it looks like they may have just changed the crank and not removed the heads( it appears to have OE head gaskets )..... I stripped the block of all freeze and oil galley plugs, removed the cam bearings, honed it and washed most of the grease off it.....

I took the carb apart to see what I will need for it to freshen it up.....

I also got the GT40 castings back from the maching shop with a good bill of health..... I had him hot tank them and check them for cracks..... I also bead blasted them to get the rust off them..... After i get them ported they will get a valve job and resurfaced.....

Here's the lastest cage progress.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here's my new old blow thru carb.....

[​IMG]#ad

Here's the 5.0 block I picked up after clean up.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

and here's the GT40's after clean up and checking.....

[​IMG]#ad

8. franktf

Today I got the block debured, chased all threads, washed it again, masked and painted it..... I also washed the main caps and checked the journal dimensions on the crank.....

Here's the block after painting today.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

9. 74chlngrTT5.9

Nice you are able to keep the rear interior.
    Will the motor be assembled as is or will it be align bored and faced? Assuming not due to the paint.
    Is that 2 turbo Camaro in the picture view thru your back window?

mike.

10. franktf

Yes it is.....

The shortblock will just be put back together stock with new rings, bearings, an F303 cam and some ported GT40's..... This motor will be something just to get it going and running decent, once the car is together I will start collecting the parts for something that will take some real power.....

I believe it's a 68 Camaro with a big pair of Precision turbos..... I don't know all the details but I believe is will have a 600+ inch big block..... I think the chasis is 25.5, I know there is a ton of bars criss crossing under the chassis.....

11. turbofreek

Nice progress. I love the rear halo bars and how they look. I prefer them over just down bars as they add some style and roof strength at the rear. Mine has them similar tonyours with a bit more angle inwards. But I'm also a 25.3 spec build cage. My shoulder cross bar is at seat height for easy rear seat access for passengers.

12. De-Marko

Noice!! :encouragement:

13. franktf

Today I got the cam bearings, freeze plugs and crank installed in the block..... I also have 4 piston/rod assemblies cleaned up and ready to go with new rod bolts installed, the other 4 piston heads are soaking to get the ring lands completely cleaned out..... Tomorrow I will get the other 4 ready to go and should at least get the whole rotating assembly installed.....

I went by the chassis shop and checked on the cage progress, the front forward bar was bent and mocked up in place on the driver side..... He was fitting the one for the pass side, it was actually the 4th one..... He said he was having a hell of a time getting it to look like the one on the driver side.....

Here's the block with cam bearings, freeze plugs and crank installed.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here's the cage progress.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

14. turbofreek

Will the dash come out like that?

15. franktf

I will only be able to get it out if the windshield is out.....

16. franktf

I got everything else for the shortblock cleaned up and ready to go, then put it together and degreed the cam in..... After that I welded a -10 an oil return fitting in the pan..... I cleaned, masked, painted and unmasked the oil pan and timing cover.....

Next week I will get the rest of the shortblock buttoned up and then get start on something else.....

Here's the piston/rod assemblies ready to go in, and the assembled shortblock.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here's the fitting welded in the oil pan, then the pan and timing cover after painting.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

17. franktf

I got the rest of the short block put together today and painted the lower pulley.....

There was some more progress made on the cage this week(see pic's below).....

Here is the short block.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here are some more pic's of the cage progress.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

18. rdakota340

Looking great Frank it wont be long now!

19. franktf

Unfortunately it's not coming together near as fast as I would like.....

20. franktf

Last Sunday I got the pulley and last couple little things done on the short block and bagged it up for now..... Then I cleaned up the shop a little and set myself up in the corner so I could port the GT40 heads, bad news is I found out the hard way there is not much material in the top of exhaust port(never had a problem with any other stock Ford head I have ported in the past)..... Oh well, I guess I'll just get a set of aluminum heads for it and save the weight(I will worry about this later).....

I did finally get my early Mustang drop in tank from Aeromotive with one of there 340 pumps(it's pretty nice and is also powder coated silver)......

Here's the short block ready and bagged.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

and here's the new tank.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad