1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My 72 Mercury Comet Build.....

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by franktf, Jan 13, 2013.

1. 2slowfox

Looks really good for 40 year old paint! Must of been keeped in a garage most of its life!

2. franktf

Paint isn't too bad except the left front corner of the car.....

It is currently a 16,550 mile car that spent some it's life in a auto museum.....

3. franktf

Got the paint as good as it's going to get over the weekend..... Most of the car looks great, but the left front fender and door are not the best..... Don't get me wrong, for 42 year old paint there not too bad it's just the rest of the car looks so much better..... I ill get some pic's of it next weekend after I put one more coat of wax on it.....

Today after work I got a little done on the motor..... I put a set of LS6 rod bolt in it and test fitted the Improved Racing Crank Scraper I got..... Everything looked good other then 4 places the rod bolts come extremely close too, I marked it up so I can put a little more clearance in it.....

Here's a couple pic's of the crank scraper and where clearance is too close.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

4. franktf

After trimming a few areas on the crank scraper I finally got it to clear with the windage tray torqued on top of it..... Also got the cam and Trick-Flow timing chain damper assembly installed with a new LS2 timing chain, also degreed the cam in(Came out within a half a degree of what I was told to set it)..... Next thing I want to do is port the oil pump.....

Here are some pic's of the progress.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

5. franktf

Friday afternoon I disassembled the oil pump and started porting it, I got it all roughed out with a carbide but still need to take the paper rolls to it.....

I got the car all cleaned up and waxed but was still unhappy with the driver front fender and door..... Today I finally started making some progress on the top of the fender, it's a hell of a lot of work but it is starting to look better(spent a couple hours on the top of the driver front fender hand rubbing with the #7 Meguire's).....

For now the car is ready to go to the Ford & Mustang Round Up at Silver Springs in Ocala, FL next weekend.....

Here's a few of the oil pump porting.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

and here's a couple of the car all cleaned up.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

6. 74chlngrTT5.9

Enjoy the trip and I like the updated sig...

7. BlownShovel

Looking pretty sweet. Engine and car clean as heck.

8. franktf

Thanks guys.....

9. Chris91LX

Looks great. Spending the week in your region this week with the family on Anna Maria, way better weather than back home in Chicagoland!

10. BDR

My fav kinda hotrod. Stock dash, nothing fancy interior..just like from the factory..with a bad ass powerplant under the hood. Very clean build. I dunno if I've replied to your build or not..so if I did..then shit..caught my eye again. LOL

11. franktf

Thanks..... I'm sure you'll have much better weather, enjoy.....

Thank you, glad you like it.....

12. 2slowfox

Car looks really good in person! I was at silver springs with mustang club from Jacksonville and was looking at the mavericks and comets parked together.

13. franktf

Thanks..... Too bad I didn't get to meet you, but I was wandering around looking at cars too..... It was a nice event.....

14. 2slowfox

I looked around to see if you or the other owners were around. Maybe next time will catch up. A lot of cars and trucks their.

15. franktf

I thought an update was in order since I haven't done one in a while..... To tell the truth I haven't really done to much, between doing a side job and getting the flu I just haven't had a whole lot of time to work on it..... I have purchased a Victor JR carb intake, some Holley Valve Covers, a o-ringed valley cover and some arp hardware.....

Anyways, I finished porting the oil pump then installed and aligned the housing, then assembled the rest of the pump..... I also removed the rear engine cover(because there was a big step at the oil pan rail) and reinstalled it with an alignment tool(no it lines up very well).....

Last week I made a stand off and my boss welded it to the timing cover for me(it is so I can install a timing tab, I like to be able to physically check the timing with a light)..... I made it a little tall, so today I clamped to the milling machine table and mill it down to the proper height..... Then I took it over to work so I could bead blast it, I cleaned it up and installed it on the engine with an alignment tool.....

Here is the ported oil pump, then some of the installation.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the rear cover and timing covers installed with alignment tools in place.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

16. 74chlngrTT5.9

Ahhhh...
    Nice to see this thread hit page one again.
    My wife, kid and I have been going in circles for weeks with this d@mn flu bug. Knocks the motivation right out the window.

Thanks for the update.
    Mike

17. cl08

AGREED!!!!

18. franktf

Got a little more done this week..... Put a -10 return fitting and put the baffle assembly in the oil pan(baffle assembly had to be fitted a little, no big surprise) - Got the oil pick-up in and clearance set to the bottom of the pan..... Put the oil pan on the motor - I went done this morning and masked the shortblock up, scuffed the black down with some scotchbrite, put a light coat of primmer on it and painted it..... After it sat for about a 1/2 hour I unmasked it, changed the pan/timing cover hardware out to ARP stainless 12 pt, put the timing cover seal in and got the Moroso remote water pump adaptors on.....

Here is the pick-up in place, oil return fitting, baffle assembly in place and the oil pan on.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the block masked/scuffed and ready for paint.....

[​IMG]#ad

Here it is with a light coat of gray primmer, then painted.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here it is unmasked, bolts changed and with the Moroso adaptors on.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

19. 74chlngrTT5.9

Even masked off the engine stand. Nice............

20. franktf

Thanks, we paint quite a few engines at work so if we don't mask them pretty well they would be covered in crap.....