1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My 72 Mercury Comet Build.....

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by franktf, Jan 13, 2013.

1. ducatibrian

Looks great Frank!

2. 74chlngrTT5.9

Marching through to get past the setbacks.
    What next on the agenda?

3. franktf

Thanks.....

Yes sir..... I went back to the shop this evening and put the outer lap belts, rear view and driver side mirrors on(could not find the gasket for the pass side mirror)..... Washed it, then went and filled it up with gas so I can drive it this week..... Still have a few more odd and ends the finish up, I also need to do something about the 4 wheeling front end(I have another set of front springs with 3/4 coil already cut I am going to swap in)..... I also need to run a buffer over it..... After that I will start getting stuff ready for the LS/turbo swap, but I still have a lot of stuff to buy..... Slowly but surely.....

4. fattirehotrods

looking great

5. franktf

Thanks.....

6. 74chlngrTT5.9

Well all that seems to be in the near future is an updated avatar showing the hood and lowered front end stance.
    :thumbsup:

7. franktf

Yeah, I am going to drop the front this weekend and then take some more pic's.....

8. franktf

Cleaned the shop Sat morning, needed it badly..... After that I went over to work and got the car up on a lift, so I could cut the front springs to get rid of that 4 wheel drive look..... Today I buffed and cleaned the exterior, looks pretty good but the driver front fender could use a little more work..... I also installed a standard radio antenna so the radio would play correctly, I had one of the hidden ones under the dash but the reception sucked..... I got my mirror gasket in this week so I got the pass side view mirror on too.....

Here are a few pic's of the exterior after clean up.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

9. H.P.Ranch

Looks nice Frank, engine next?

10. franktf

That's the plan..... I have just about everything I need for the engine a turbo and a torque converter, but I still need to get front suspension stuff, a transmission and the rest of the turbo stuff..... So it's going to be a little while because I need to recharge the old bank account.....

11. 74chlngrTT5.9

X2 on looking good.
    Time to get some miles on the old 6

12. franktf

Nothing picture worthy today..... Just had a few loose ends to finish up..... I also got the cruise control working, had a dip switch in the wrong position..... Tomorrow I need to put the shoulder harnesses in for the seat belts, and if I can ever get my door panels from the upholstery guy so I can finish the interior up it will be a wrap for now.....

13. franktf

Cleaned both my car and truck today..... I got the shoulder harnesses in.....

It is seeping brake fluid from the tee fitting on the rear end where the lines and hose come together..... I have been chasing this for the last 2 weeks, I have reseated the fittings a couple times and tried changing the banjo bolt copper washers and the leak continues..... I don't know if there is an imperfection in the tee fitting somewhere, I am going to order another one this week and see if I can get it stopped completely..... Luckily I am using silicone brake fluid so I don't have to worry about the powder coat on the rear end.....

14. franktf

Went to Bradenton yesterday for there ORDC race to do some spectating..... I got a call in the late afternoon that my door panels were finally done, so I headed back home and picked them up..... Today I got the mylar weathershields and door panel assemblies on the car..... I am very happey with the way they came out.....

Here they are throughout the installation.....

[​IMG][​IMG]#ad

[​IMG][​IMG]#ad

[​IMG][​IMG]#ad

[​IMG][​IMG]#ad

15. 74chlngrTT5.9

Damn man...
    Power windows and all.

Nice

16. dodgestrike

It's safe to say its the best and my favorite comet/maverick I've seen

17. franktf

Thanks guys.....

18. franktf

Haven't been doing much to the car other then washing and driving it..... I am very happy with it so far.....

I did start working on the motor a little this week, I figured since I have all the parts to get the short block complete the way I want it I would get going on it..... I got it torn down to the short block, last thing is to get the piston/rods out so I can check and set the ring gaps for boost..... I can put the rest of the short block together with the LS2 timing chain, new camshaft and oil pan.....

I was a little disappointed with the motor once I got it down to the short block because I found it to be a true GEN III motor, so it has the smaller early rods and timing chain(I am very happy with the pistons it has though).....

Here it is through the tear down process.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here you can see the connecting rods and in the second pic I am holding the stouter LS2 chain in front of the wimpy GEN III chain.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

19. az92coupe

I was checking your car out in the parking lot at the Outlaw race. Looks great man!! :)

20. franktf

Thanks, had to go down and watch some racin since I can't do it myself right now.....