1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My 72 Mercury Comet Build.....

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by franktf, Jan 13, 2013.

1. 74chlngrTT5.9

I envy your completion of wiring. I am still plugging at mine with end no where in sight.
    Will you have to lose the shock towers to fit that LS? Or will it fit?

2. franktf

Oh I am almost done technically for now, but I'll have tons more when I do the swap..... Yes part of the towers will have to go, no biggie.....

3. franktf

This week I removed the water pump, balancer, oil pan and pick-up from my new motor..... All this and the carb intake manifold are listed for sale in the classifieds..... All these will be replace with different components, plus I have decided to go EFI.....

The motor missing some stuff now.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

4. franktf

This weekend I got the under hood wiring finished, ran some front brake lines and bled the brakes, hooked up the trans cooler lines, changed the oil, finish the fuel line, changed the fuel filter, add some gas and got it running again.....

Here's a few pic's.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

5. Turbohwagon

What master cylinder are you using?

6. franktf

It's just a Chrysler style aftermarket unit..... If I remember right this one was a Jeg's brand 1.125 bore.....

7. franktf

Today I took the front seats down to make a new set of seat mounts..... I originally set them up with a set of Maverick LDO seat tracks before I had them recovered and they fit perfectly(just the right height)..... After I got the seat reupholstered with new seat foams the were much firmer and when I test fitted them they I sat quite a bit higher..... Much closer to the top of the cage then I wanted, so I decided to make some no adjustable mounts and today was that time..... I really don't need the to be adjustable anyways, the new brackets make the seats 1.125 lower then with the LDO tracks(much better)..... I got the driver seat brackets made today and most of the pieces for the pass side are done(will finish the pass side up in the morning).....

Here are the new brackets mounted to the bottom of the driver seat.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

and here is the seat bolted in the car.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

8. franktf

This morning I got the pass seat mounting brackets done..... Then removed the seats and started to install padding and carpet..... I remove the padding ACC puts on the back of the carpet because it would be a problem when fitting around the cage..... I cut a couple pieces o nice black jute insulation and installed it on the front floors and sides of the tunnel..... Then I put the carpet in, I cut and fitted it around the cage(what a pain in the A$$)..... I got the driver side done, I still need to do the pass side.....

Here is the pass seat brackets on the seat.....

[​IMG]#ad

Here it is with both front seats bolted in place.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the padding/insulation I installed on the front floor areas.....

[​IMG]#ad

and here is the carpet so far.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

9. stillridin

Man love the dash. So so clean looking. it's coming along nicely.

10. franktf

Thank you..... I am really happy with the way the dash came out.....

11. jaredsamurai

so refresh my memory. Is this LS getting a turbo?

12. franktf

Yes!!!!!

13. franktf

Got the pass side carpet fitted around the cage bars Saturday morning..... It didn't look like there was a lot of carpet over hanging the rockers, so I got the sill plates down and surer the sh!t there wasn't enough carpet to reach the sill plates..... I ripped the carpet back out because that wasn't going to work, somebody at ACC screwed that one up..... At that point I was pissed off and went home to search for some other kind of carpet..... This put a big wrench in the whole finishing the interior thing..... I ended up finding some the was still made in 2 pieces like the original from Newark Auto, this will be easier to fit in 2 pieces.....

Today I went back down and got the hood hinges, hood and hardware out..... I cleaned everything up and got the hood bolted on the car..... I also put the front lip trim I cleaned up and polished last week(I searched for a NOS or perfect one but has no luck, so I took one I had - worked a couple dents out of it - sanded and polished it)..... I fixed one little wiring issue I had( I had the emergency flasher and turn flashers wired opposite - so I got them swapped around - now the emergency flasher work with the key off like they should) - I also threw the front seats in and got the fire bottle/brackets mounted to the cage crossbar.....

Here is a couple of the reconditioned hood lip trim and one of the car with the hood on it(I really like this hood).....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here the fire bottle is mounted.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

14. fattirehotrods

Looking great, love the carbon fiber hood.

15. 74chlngrTT5.9

Suks about the carpet.
    Hood kicks ass man...

16. franktf

Thanks.....

Yes it does, but what ya gonna do..... I like it.....

17. 808svt

Very cool project but I have a question. It looks like it would be very easy to smash your shins on the dash bar. Is it just me?

18. franktf

Thanks..... You are not the first person to say that, but the pictures are kind of deceiving..... My legs are not that close to the bar when I sit in the car.....

19. 808svt

Cool bud, thanks

20. franktf

This past week or so I have been working on the grill, headlight trim rings and hood latch assembly a little before and after work..... I also received my new carpet yesterday, so this morning I compared it to the carpet I had and it's about 6" wider so the should be no problems getting it to reach the sill plates..... It is also made in 2 sections, front and rear which will make it much easier to fit around the cage..... I managed to get the rear section all fitted and glued down today, it fits much better then the other carpet did..... I also cleaned up and installed my inner rear quarter plastic's..... Tomorrow I will work on the front carpet.....

Here is the grill from start to finish(I removed the center section from a marker light grille and used it replace the center in an early grille to get rid of the emblem).....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the hood latch and bracket clean up and painted.....

[​IMG]#ad

and here is the new rear carpet installed along with the rear quarter plastics.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad