1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My 72 Mercury Comet Build.....

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by franktf, Jan 13, 2013.

1. franktf

I have been looking for Maverick/Comet bucket seat tracks, and now I have a set of LDO style and a set regular ones..... I also got the subframe connectors fron Chassis Engineering this week.....

Today I removed the rear seat and interior quater panels so I could remove the pagkage tray panel to put speaker holes in it..... Man this thing is clean underneith all this stuff..... I have never had the pleasure before of working on a car this old that is this clean..... Anyways, got the package tray panel out and cut the speaker holes in it..... Then I got it back in the car and got the speakers mounted..... I still have to mount the front speakers and get the speaker wire run.....

Here's the bucket seat tracks, LDO's then the regular ones.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here's the subframe connectors.....

[​IMG]#ad

Here's what the rear seat area and inner quaters look like uncovered.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Speaker holes cut in package tray panel, then installed in car with the speakers.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  2. The ace

damn that thing is tits, that would be a good sleeper for sure subscribing

3. rdakota340

Man that thing is clean on the inner quarter fender no under coating just clean.

4. franktf

Yes sir it is.....

Today I found out the front speakers I purchased are to big for the raised area on the kick panels so I am going to look for something else..... I did get the wiring done to the rear speakers and put the interion back together.....

After that I went to the bone yard and picked up a set of fox body Mustanf low back bucket seats to use in the Comet, i do not really like the stock Comet/Mustang high back seats..... The one I got I know are comfortable, plus I can get anything I need for them easily..... They are faded red, but I am going to get the front and rear seats reupulstered too match anyways.....

Here's a pic of the seats.....

[​IMG]#ad

5. Mike93SVT

very unique and cool. can't wait to see how it changes

6. Terminator-Fox

subbed

- - - Updated - - -

subbed

7. franktf

No real progress on the car today, I have been needing to clean/rearrange things at the shop so that's pretty much what I did today(should finish that up tomorrow)..... I did however take the car over to have it evaluated for a cage and we came to an agreement..... It will be getting a chromolly cage with swing out/removable side bars, it will also still have a back seat in it(the car will be 8.50 legal when done)..... I'll need to get to work next week, got to mount the seats and get the subframe connectors welded in(it will be going for the cage at the end of March).....

8. TwoFastT3s

I love the direction you are headed with this one, keep at it!!!

9. jaquetapus

Loving the new ride Frank! Did you sell the old one as a roller and keep the turbo kit for this one? Or are you planning on starting fresh?

-dave

10. power band

'closely following your Comet build. I'm biased, 'joined this forum for advice on building turbo option for my Comet built with many 70's Maverick/Comet parts using the Ford small block six format. ... not quite as ambitious 1/4 times planned but serious turbo build is...

have fun

[​IMG]#ad
    <> [​IMG]#ad
    <> [​IMG]#ad
    <> <>

still NA so far...
    Blueprinted D6DE Ford small block 250 Six; Shot Peened and Balanced Rods, Clifford 272H Cam, 1.88 intake valves/1.50 exh with- silicon springs and HD retainers, Ported and Polished chambers and relieved valve shrouds .Fisher custom Harmonic Balancer, Tri-Power / Offy , Modified Holley carbs, Exhaust ¾ siamese port divider, Re-Curved distributor, HEI ignition, Indexed Champion plugs,s, Glyptal sealed block, Detroit gasket set,. SFI 157 neutral balance-lightened flywheel spinning Centerforce Clutch, T5-Z Cobra 5speed, Short throw Hurst shifter, 8”- 3.80:1 TracLoc Posi rear, Fab'd Caltrac clones, Shelby sway bars, Mustang front strut bars, Scarebird Disc front brakes, Fabricated subframe connectors / crossmembers, 8 Point roll cage, 5.0 alum. radiator, Perma-Cool fan, Holley fuel pump/pressure regulators, Hooker dual out longtube headers, Smithy silencers, Original tube radio, vacuum wipers and front fender Gunsights…

11. franktf

Me too, and I will..... Thanks.....

Thanks..... I actually sold the old one as a bare shell..... I kept everything else, there are going to be a few changes in the way this one is built..... The turbo kit won't fit the way it is but I still have all of it, I will just have to see how much I will have to reconstruck when I get to that point.....

Thanks, looks like you have a very interesting project yourself.....

12. franktf

I recieved my rear spoiler and some speakers for the kick panels this week.....

The only thing I did to the car today is change the carb, I found a NOS Hollet economaster on eBay that only cost $56 to my door..... It has had a surge from about 30 to 50mph and can be a little fussy on cold starts(and it don't get that cold here)..... Well I put the holley on it and it made a world of difference in the way it runs, it is flawless now..... The only reason I was worried about it is this motor is going to be in it for a whil longer, plus when I get ready to sell the 6 it will help greatly if it runs really good.....

I also took a side job, got another fox body 8.8 to straighten, weld tubes, add a brace, set up gears and install a Strange 33 spline spool & axle kit..... Someone trying to get ready for the NMRA race the second week of March at BMP.....

Here's the old carb(left) and new carb(right).....

[​IMG]#ad

13. power band

Don't chuck that YF carb yet, it's a preferred carb for Six Cylinder enthusiasts with the highest CFM ratings of the Ford six carbs other than the RBS's used on 250's..., probably worthy of a rebuild kit attempt.

[​IMG]#ad
    <> [​IMG]#ad

haev fun

14. franktf

I got the side job ready to assemble today, unfortunately while welding my mig has taken a SH!T(went to work and grabbed a mig to finish the side job up)..... It has been acting up for a while, i quess 15 years of hard use has finally done it in..... At this point I think I am going to just get a new one rather then try to get this one repaired.....

Not a whole lot new to report on the Comet yet..... I did get some manual steering stuff, front Wilwood brake kit and a True-trac unit for the rear end..... Next weekend I should finally be able to make some progress on it after I assemble the rear end(side job).....

That's it for now.....

15. franktf

Got the side job done this morning and finally got started on the Comet..... Got the seats out and removed the carpet..... The carpet was damp on the passenger side front floor, it rained quite a bit this week plus I washed it just before starting on it..... I think it's the windshield seal, it's kind of dried and has a couple cracks in it..... I will find out tomorrow when I remove the windows..... I think it moy have had a heater core pop at one time, probably after it sat all that time in the museum and then started getting driven again..... Anyways there is some surface rust on the pass side floor but no pitting at all, it also lifted some of the factory seam sealer..... It's an easy clean up and will get treated with some POR15.....

Here's what the floors look like.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

16. franktf

Today I got the windshield removed...... What a damn mess that made, gooey shit everywhere..... Took a while to clean up that mess, specially around the window opening..... I also removed the quater windows and rear window..... Next week I will get the car blocked up and leveled so I can get to work on putting the frame connectors in.....

Here's with the windows removed.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

17. TwoFastT3s

You removing the windows to install a cage, or paint it? I'm kind of digging the blue... ;-)

Nate

18. franktf

I have no plans of painting anytimt soon, other then the rear spoiler I have and blacking out the tail light panel..... The windows do not have a mark on them and I don't want any damage done while the cage is being done.....

I wasn't to sure about the blue when I first got it, but it's rapidly growing on me.....

19. franktf

Saturday I spent the better part of the day at the NMRA race in Bradenton..... This morning I went to the shop and did a little redneck engineering to the fuel system so the car would still run with no fuel tank in it..... Then I removed the rear bumper, valence panel and gas tank..... Good news is the tank is in fantastic shape..... I put the parts up in the overhead out of the way for now.....

I started to get my new welder going and got a phone call, I had to go help finish taking the motor out that I was buying..... Went over and got it out of the car and back to my shop..... This was just too good of a deal to pass up, it's a 347 with a ported set of Victor Jr's on it..... Here's the deal, I bought it intake to oil pan(no water pump) it is a Ford racing Sportsman block(has 1/2" head studs put in it), Probe SRS flat top pistons, Eagle H beam rods, Eagle steel crank, Comp solid flat tappet cam, Internal balance, sfi balancer, sfi flywheel, Comp cams pro magnum rockers, harderned chromolly push rods, Professionally Ported Victor Jr's with 2.08/1.6 ferrea valves, Comp springs and retainers, Unported Victor Jr Intake and an MSD distributor..... The heads are really way to big for what I want but like I said earlier I couldn't pass it up for $2200..... I can always sell the stuff I don't want to use..... I need to get it apart and check everything out good, but not until I get the damn frame connectors in the car so it can go for the cage.....

Here's new redneck engineered front mounted fuel cell.....

[​IMG]#ad

Here's the back of the car after getting the tank out.....

[​IMG]#ad

The new welder, I need to get my welding cart modified so it fits properly and actually try the welder out.....

[​IMG]#ad

and here's a couple pic's of the motor after I took it out of the truck and put it on the stand.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

20. jaredsamurai

Those Sportsman blocks are the 2 bolt blocks with thicker main webs right?