1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My 72 Mercury Comet Build.....

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by franktf, Jan 13, 2013.

1. franktf

Tell me about it..... Hook a few up, then pull a few more through..... Never ending process.....:doh:

2. franktf

Worked on the wiring some more today..... Actually made some progress even though it doesn't look like it again.....

Here's a couple pic's just for the hell of it.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

3. franktf

More wiring today..... Got every thing run to the firewall feed, the new fuse blocks in place and about half the wiring done..... Also got the instrument cluster plugs done..... Getting close to having the under dash done, just need to finish the stereo and cruise control primarily..... Did I mention how much wiring sucks!!!!!'

Here's the fuse blocks and bracket assembled before install.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here they are in the car partially wired and one more of the dash.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

4. 74chlngrTT5.9

That is a nice plug setup in the firewall. What diameter hole did it require? I may end up going that way also.
    Looking clean on the setup. I almost bought fuse blocks like those also.

Thanks for the pm reply and of course the progress update.

Mike.

5. franktf

Thanks..... I would have to check what size the hole is, I think it's 2" but I can't remember exactly.....

6. franktf

Got some more wiring done today..... Didn't take any pic's just because.....

7. 74chlngrTT5.9

Because wiring stinks and even with progress it doesn't look like it.

8. franktf

Once again more wiring progress..... The under dash area on the driver side is done, as long as everything works anyways..... I also got the radio in..... The instrument cluster is assembled but I could not find the connector I had for the tach and shift light..... I set the cluster in the dash just to see what it's looking like..... I will grab another connector this week.....

Here is the under dash wiring.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here is what the dash looks like with the cluster set in place.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

9. franktf

This will not make the die hard, tried and true Ford blue guys overly happy(by the way I have always been one myself, but times change)..... I am not really ready for this right now, but a deal came up and I could not let it go..... It arrived yesterday at work.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

It is an LS 5.3 HO Crate Engine..... The deluxe 327 kit with carb intake, coils, coil brackets, coil harnesses, ignition wires and plugs..... It will be a while before I am ready to use this, but it was far to god of a deal to pass up and I have wanted to do a turbo LS for a while.....

Here's a few more pic's.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

10. rdakota340

I'm with you on that note the LS motors are awesome I am a mopar nut but I really like all brands and the LS have really proven to reasonable priced and run well with boost. How did you come across this deal.

11. BlownShovel

wow --- didn't see that coming --- But I am looking forward to the new direction

12. franktf

Pretty much the way I feel..... Just something I stumbled into and helped make my decision for motor direction.....

I figured this would get peoples attention..... Me to....

13. fattirehotrods

awesome, can't wait to see that motor in there.

14. rockoosi1

I've never heard of the 5.3 HO crate motor. What kinda HP are they making?

15. ignored281

Car is coming together nicely! So much detail in everything.

16. franktf

Not for a while, still have some things to get..... I will drive it for a little while with the stock 200 6cyl in it until I collect all the parts..... The car has been sitting to long already.....

It makes 327hp/347tq..... It's basically a truck motor with grafal-coated pistons and an early 2000's car cam..... Here's a link to it at Jeg's:http://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Per...LS-327ci-327HP-Deluxe-Engine/1297510/10002/-1

Thanks.....

17. Turbohwagon

I have an aluminum 5.3 out of a trail blazer, i was reading some where that it is also considered an HO, but i doubt it has the coated pistons. I'm working on jamming it into a 71 pinto.

Too much power to be had for a small investment.

18. franktf

Exactly.....

I believe the coated pistons were only used in the crate engines, not in any factory installed applications..... That pinto will be more then a handful when you get it together.....

19. franktf

Finished the wiring inside except for the stuff involving the shifter(can't finish that until the shifter is in)..... After testing all the circuits successfully, I cleaned up and installed the package tray under the dash..... I also decided to add the chrome trim along the lower dash, I think it looks much better then without..... Then I started working on under hood wiring, for right now I am just modifying the stock front harness and adding what is necessary for now till I do the engine swap.....

Here is the dash all together, first without trim then with.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the front wiring so far.....

[​IMG]#ad

20. franktf

This morning I finished pinning the plug for the front light/engine harness and got it in the car..... I installed the Autometer oil pressure/water temp sender in the motor and wired the engine(basically just the coil and senders)..... Then I wired in 3 relays(I for the horn, high beam and low beam headlights..... I went ahead and installed the radiator and the electric fan I decided to use..... All that is leaft for wiring now is a fan relay, a starter relay and getting the headlights in..... I went to the parts store and got oil, filter, trans fluid, fuel hose, fuel filter, water wetter, trans cooler hose and some clamps(just about everything I should need to start it next weekend, I hope anyways).....

Here's a few of the wiring and other progress in the front(remember most of this is just temporary till I do the front work with the LS/turbo swap).....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad