1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My 72 Mercury Comet Build.....

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by franktf, Jan 13, 2013.

1. franktf

Today I cut the crash bar out of the drivers door..... Then mocked up the power window regulators, I had to make them and the door release handles work together..... I made some new door panels backs with clip holes, door release holes, door pull holes and holes for the window switches..... I'll be able to get the door panels to the upholstery guy so he can get them done for me when he has time.....

Here's a couple pic's of the door panels.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. franktf

Today I put some reinforcement pieces in the door for the new door pulls..... I plug welded them in the door, cleaned up the welds, drilled and taped them for the retainer bolts..... I also drilled the front of the door for the power window wire loom to feed thru..... I sanded and cleaned up the inner panels, then I painted the bottom inside of the doors with POR15 for protection..... Last thing, I masked the door up and painted the interior blue on the door.....

Here is the reinforcements plug welded in place.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the reinforcement spot welds cleaned up and the mounting holes drilled and tapped.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the holes for the pw harness.....

[​IMG]#ad

and here is what there looking like with the interior paint done.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

3. franktf

This morning I got the door all masked up, sanded, bare metal spots primed and painted..... I cleaned up and hinge brackets where they bolted to the doors and painted them with a brush to help protect them..... Then I unmasked the doors.....

Here is one of the doors masked, primed and painted.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here are the hinge brackets cleaned up and painted on the face.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here the doors are unmasked.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

4. 74chlngrTT5.9

Well done and as usual, the attention to details.

5. franktf

Thanks.....

6. franktf

Today I got the new seals, bumpers and hole plugs in the doors..... I put the grommets and window wiring harnesses in the doors..... I cleaned all the old grease out of the door latches, then put some new grease in the and installed them..... I also put the new satin chrome door handles I bought on the doors and got the doors back on the car.....

Look how nice the door latches look cleaned up.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the doors ready to go back on.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here the doors are back on the car.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here the freshly paint interior panel of the door look good with the dash now that it all matches.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

7. ducatibrian

Great work and attention to the details sir!

Props to you

8. 99baller

This project is the tits! Never thought i would say I like a baby blue Comet but I'm loving that car. Good work.

9. fattirehotrods

It's coming along great, the cherry on top would be a twin turbo coyote motor :)

10. franktf

Thank you.....

Thanks..... I wasn't crazy about the color or the trim along the top of the fenders when I first got it, but it has really grown on me.....

Thanks..... I like the idea of a Coyote but they are huge and don't leave much room for anything else in one of these cars.....

11. franktf

Today I got the inside door release handle assemblies modified and installed..... Then I put a small clearance notch in the power window regulators and made 3/16" thick aluminum spacers for them to clear the 73 up door release handle assembly..... I installed the window regulators and windows..... I hooked up the power window harness to the battery charger and the windows are working great..... Next week I can start the under dash wiring.....

Here the inside door releases are installed.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

and for the first time in over a year the car has all the windows in it.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

12. 74chlngrTT5.9

Will you be using the factory style door panels?
    How will the window switches mount/tie in?

13. franktf

If you look at post 341 at the top of this page, I made a new set of door panel backings that have the correct holes for a new billet door pulls, the 73 up door releases I am using and the window switches..... The are at the upholstery shop now to have custom covers made to match my seats.....

14. franktf

Did a little cleaning up this morning, then got out my wiring stuff..... First thing I did is change out my dome light housing, the old one was dull and deformed..... Then I zip tied the feed cable for my overhead console to the cage..... Then I wired the rest of the overhead console and zip tied that harness to the cage too..... After that I got the stock harness out and stripped all the tape off it, then separated the heater harness and wiper harnesses out of it.....

Here is the new(left) and old(right) dome light housings on the bench.....

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the overhead console and wiring.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the factory dash harness as it came out, then with all the tape stripped off.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the heater and wiper harnesses on the bench.....

[​IMG]#ad

15. franktf

Worked on the wiring some more today..... Got the courtesy light, power window, wiper wiring all in, just need to hook the power feeds up to them..... Also got the last of the speaker wires in place..... Put the heater controls in too..... Not much to take pic's of, but here's one of the dash.....

[​IMG]#ad

Oh yeah, I printed out and assembled a blown up wiring diagram for the entire car last night to use.....

[​IMG]#ad

16. 74chlngrTT5.9

Got it thanks.
    I didn't put 2 and 2 together there...

Nice and clean wiring layout on the next series of pictures

17. franktf

Went down this morning and remove the wiring from the drivers side of the cage, just decided I didn't like it at all..... Then I ran wires down the pass side of the cage along with the power feed cable..... I made a harness for the Autometer gauges..... The last thing I did was trim the excess stuff out of the cruise control harness and routed everything through the instrument cluster hole.....

I had to leave for a while, I was stating to hurt from all the wonderful positions I had to get into under the dash..... I am going back in a while to get some more done.....

Not much to take pictures of, but here's a couple(one shows the wiring running on the right side of the cage and the other shows all the wiring hanging out of the instrument cluster hole).....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

18. franktf

Went back to the shop this afternoon and made some more progress..... Got the fire wall feed connector in and hooked up a few of the many wire I had going everywhere, also got some more stuff tied up.....

Here is the connector in place.....

[​IMG]#ad

Here is what the wiring is looking like so far.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

19. franktf

Made more progress on the wiring today..... Also made and painted a bracket that bolts in beside the steering column the will hold fuse boxes.....

Here a pic of the bracket I made(I will post pic's of it mounted next weekend).....

[​IMG]#ad

Here a couple of the progress even though it doesn't really look like it.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

20. rdakota340

I couldn't tell if any progress was made with all wires hanging LOL :stickpoker: