1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My 72 Mercury Comet Build.....

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by franktf, Jan 13, 2013.

1. 74chlngrTT5.9

details, details, details, etc...

2. franktf

I went down this morning planning on sanding and priming the dash, to my surprise after sanding it I decided to just go ahead and paint it..... I also got inserts in for the door mirrors, I also put some in for the upper dash mounting.....

Here is the dash after sanding.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

and here it is painted.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

3. philly

thats nice paint... shoot that with a can or with a gun?

4. franktf

Thanks..... It is actually with a can.... It's the only paint I could find that is the right color for the interior, nobody could seem to mix anything that looked right for the gun..... It's a custom mix by SEM, there cans have a nozzle that put out a very nice even fan the produces very good results.....

5. philly

love sem products... very high quality stuff... i dont use them all the time but for a high visibility piece like that it makes all the sense in the world. thumbs up

6. franktf

Went to the shop this morning and put the wiper switch assy and Comet script back on the dash, then installed the dash in the car..... Got all the screws, braces and brackets on.....

After that I got the windshield and trim down and cleaned them up..... I put the new gasket on the windshield and installed it in the car..... Now for the entirely to messy part I put bedding & glazing compound all the way around the windshield gasket, first between the glass the around the outside of the gasket..... Then I put the trim clips in place and finished filling the outside area with bedding & glazing compound..... Now I installed the window trim and proceeded to clean up the mess around the glass and trim.....

Here is the dash installed in the car.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the windshield and trim ready for install.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the windshield install in the car.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here it is with the bedding & glazing compound applied before clips were installed.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here it is with trim installed after clean up.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I can't resist, one more of the dash after windshield install(I think the dash really came out sweet).....

[​IMG]#ad

7. boostcreep81

Dash does look very nice man. This car is coming along beautifully

8. franktf

Thanks.....

9. rdakota340

O yea the dash is nice!

10. franktf

Thank you.....

11. franktf

Today I modified my dash speaker bracket for two 3.5" speakers, painted it, mounted the speakers and installed it in the dash..... Then I cleaned up and installed my defroster ducts..... Also mounted the cruise control in the right side of the dash just outside of the gauges..... Last thing I did is install the autometer gauges in the dash.....

Getting close to starting on the wiring.....

Here is the dash speaker holder, left one is stock and the right one is modified.....

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the dash speaker bracket with the speakers installed in it.....

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the speaker assembly and defroster ducts installed.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the where the cruise control is installed.....

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the dash with the gauges installed.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

12. ducatibrian

Great work sir!

13. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Looking good!

14. 74chlngrTT5.9

Look forward to these updates.

Nice layout and of course the attention to details.
    It really does look like something that could have been factory.

And yes, the window bedding is miserable to deal with.

Mike.

15. franktf

Thanks.....

Thank you.....

and thanks to you.....

16. Turbo Drag Radial

Frank, you are pimp!

17. franktf

I just keep digging my self in deeper and deeper..... I remove the doors this morning so I can get the front of doors and jambs drilled for poser window wiring..... I knew the paint on the bottoms of the doors didn't look very good, but once I got the door off and on some stands the paint is almost doesn't exist..... Plus there is some surface rust, so I am going to have to take care of this so the doors don't rust..... I also decided I might as well take the crash bars out of the door while I am at it.....

First thing I did after getting the doors off is remove the old seals, latches and handles..... Then I drilled out the spot welds that attach the ends of the crash bars in the door..... I cut the bar in the passenger door into 4 pieces to get it out(after the first one I think I only need to cut it in 3 pieces to get the other out)..... That's as far as I got today.....

Here is the car with the doors removed.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here's what the bottom and ends of the door looks like.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the holes where I had to drill the spot welds out to remove the crash bars.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

and here is the door with the crash bar, then without and the crash bar out of the pass door.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

18. De-Marko

19. 74chlngrTT5.9

Uh oh
    Is that surface rust on the inner skin I see?
    Lol

Yah that lower door area definitely a weak spot for detailing from the factory.

20. franktf

There's a little surface rust in the door, nothing that's a big deal..... They didn't paint under the hinges so that area is surface rusted..... What you see around the latch area is actually grease not rust..... I just don't want anything to happen to these doors so I have to take care of this surface rust now.....