1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My 72 Mercury Comet Build.....

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by franktf, Jan 13, 2013.

1. BlownShovel

Nice bar layout and as I've said before - Great work and attention to details

2. franktf

Thanks..... We had to go with that layout so all the interior panels would go back in the car, as it turns out it looks really good that way too.....

3. franktf

Got sick last Sat afternoon and yesterday I went to the NMRA race in Bradenton, so not much got done on the car since the last update..... Today I did get the rear window bedded/sealed in, cleaned up the trim and installed it..... Then I cleaned up the rear quarter windows and seals, and got them in the car..... Last thing I did is put the spare tire bracket in the trunk and bolted the spare tire in place.....

Here are some pic's of the progress.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

4. boostcreep81

Your build is top notch man, cant wait to see this car with boost!

5. franktf

Thanks, I can't wait either but unfortunately the old wallet is going to make me wait a little longer then I want.....

6. MarkFJ40

I always look forward to your updates every weekend. Keep it up.
    I have spring fever. Hopefully if the weather cooperates I can get into the garage and finally finish my junk.

7. franktf

Not much getting done this weekend..... I did get the fire extinguisher line from the tee to the engine compartment in..... I also put the battery cable firewall feed in, but that's it for now.....

Progress pic's.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

8. franktf

Unfortunately, once again not much got done this weekend..... I went to the NMCA race a BMP on Saturday..... Today I removed the front bumper and stone guard from the car so I can start trying to sell some of the extra stuff I have, sounds simple but turned into quite the project due to a couple of rusted in bolts..... I also set the new Carbon Fiber Cowl hood I got the week on the car to see how it looks.....

and here's what is looks like.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

9. boostcreep81

Looks nice with the hood! Ive always liked the comet/maverick body style. My dad's buddy had a 72 mav and I loved it!

10. 74chlngrTT5.9

Nice,
    Well that quickly gets rid of the notion it is grandmas car.

11. franktf

Thanks.....

It does give it a little too much of that it should be fast look.....

12. franktf

Got things picked up a this morning and got all the under dash stuff down so I could get it all cleaned up and ready to go in..... I did get the outer casing for the Lokar throttle cable cut and in place, I will fit the inner cable once the throttle pedal is in place.....

Here is the throttle cable housing in place.....

[​IMG]#ad

Here is a couple pic's of the really clean heater box before I opened it to change the heater core and clean it up..... I will have to get a seal kit for it only because the foam has broken down on the inner heater door.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

13. 74chlngrTT5.9

As long as the 6 is left in there you should also keep the same hubcaps as your avitar on.
    Hubcaps a 6 and a rollcage. Now there is a combo you don't see very often.

Going to paint hood to match?

14. franktf

The hubcaps were sold a while back, and the stock wheels were 4 lug...... There is no way I would even try to find 5 lug 14"wheels just so I could use caps and I don't think they would clear the brakes anyways..... Nice thought though.....

I am undecided on the hood..... I kind of like the carbon fiber look, but I am considering painting it and leaving a carbon fiber stripe up the middle similar to a Comet GT hood stripe.....

15. franktf

Made some progress for a change today..... Got the firewall insulation cleaned up and installed..... Also cleaned up and installed the driver side cowl vent, firewall spacer for the brake pedal bracket, wiper motor/bracket assembly, wiper pivots/linkage and my custom heater hose fittings..... I did get the overhead switch panel installed too..... The driver side wiper pivot/linkage was a pita, when I was putting one of the screws the nut that was crimped into the cowl popped out and fell into the cowl area..... I had to fish it out of the cowl(lots of fun there), then get it cleaned up and back in place so I could tack weld it in..... After that I cleaned the area up inside and out, and got some brushable seam sealer around it in the inner cowl area..... Then I was finally able to get it bolted in place.....

Here is my modified bulkheads for the heater hoses.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the everything else installed in the firewall area.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the overhead switch panel.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

16. 74chlngrTT5.9

Ya, I forgot the 6's had four lugs. Side note, my brother has a 64 Falcon sprint with a 260 that has 5 lug 13 inch rims. That is odd.

Damn nice load of details there...
    Am I to assume your plan is to put many street miles on it because of adding back the minimal creature comforts?

17. franktf

I drive my cars, I have no use for a race only car.....

18. franktf

Got the seals I needed for the heater box and reassembled it..... Then I installed heater hoses from the firewall fittings to the engine..... I also put the brake pedal bracket assembly back in the car.....

Here is the assembled heater box.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here are the new under hood heater hoses.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here are the brake pedal brackets installed.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

19. franktf

I got the battery and alt wire routed to the firewall..... Then I installed the heater box..... I also put the rear seat belts/retractors in.....

After cleaning up some, I removed the window regulators so I can send them to Nu-Relics so they can build me a set of power window regulators..... Once again when I take things apart on this car it amazes me how pristine everything is.....

Here is the heater installed, also a pic's of the factory cardboard wiring guide where it comes up out of the driver side door post.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the rear seat belts......

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

and here is what I found when disassembling the doors to remove the window regulators.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

20. franktf

No progress on Sat, I had to clean up and change the oil on my truck in preparation for vacation..... Then I reorganized all the parts I have laying around into a fashion where I can find what I am looking for..... In the process I thoroughly cleaned the shop..... I also sold quite a bit of the extra stuff I know I will not need.....

Today I got some work done on the car..... I mocked up the new master cylinder with an adjust length rod(heim joint end on it)..... I had to remove the factory brake rod pin from the pedal, then I chamfered both sides of the hole is leaft..... Next I cut the remove factory pin down to the thickness of the pedal, and chamfered the edges of it and knocked it back in the pedal to plug the hole..... I welded the pin in place and ground the surfaces smooth, then I drilled a 3/8" hole in it for the bolt to retain the new rod..... Last thing I did with the pedal for now was make a flat pad and welded it to the pedal for a stop light switch(I am going to use a GM style stop light switch since the Ford one will no longer work with the new adjustable rod).....

Next thing I did, is modify the top of the gas pedal for the new Lokar clevis end and added a carb ball for the aftermarket cruise control I am installing under the dash..... I did hook up the Lokar throttle cable to the carb too..... I need a couple pieces the finish the linkage for the cruise control, I ordered then today..... All that will be leaft to do is make a bracket that will hold the GM stop light switch and the cruise control cable.....

Here is the brake pedal mods from beginning to end.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the mods to the top of the gas pedal(the left is stock and the right is the modified one).....

[​IMG]#ad

and here are both in place, also one of the car end of the cable.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad