1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My 72 Mercury Comet Build.....

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by franktf, Jan 13, 2013.

1. franktf

This morning I took a ride to Kissimmee to check out the Mecum auction..... It was pretty cool, there were some really nice looking cars.....

After I got back late this afternoon I decide to go to the shop and get something done..... I sanded, masked and put the satin black on the inside edge of the driver side quarter end cap so I can get it on the car tomorrow..... I also sanded, masked and painted the a and b pillars, also did the panel under the rear window along with the rear deck filler panels(yes I finally found a color I can live with and it also has the right sheen to it when dry).....

Here is the drive side quarter end cap ready to have the trim put on and installed on the car.....

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the interior areas I painted(you can see in the ones with the a pillars the color is just a little darker then the factory paint on the doors, but then again the doors have been painted for over 40 years).....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

TTF/Ken likes this.
  2. franktf

Today I got the driver side quarter end cap trim on, and then the cap on the car..... Next I got the rear bumper out and put it on the car..... I also made the ground battery cable and the positive from the battery to the cutoff switch.....

Here is what the back of the car is looking like now.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

and here is what the battery cables are looking like.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

3. Rip Rock

This build brings back the memories of my 72 comet. 4 door though, not as nice as the 2 door. Same colour and everything. Looking forward in this build!

4. franktf

This morning I did some of the rear light wiring..... Damn wiring takes too long.....

Here's what's done so far.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

and here's what's in process.....

[​IMG]#ad

5. franktf

Today I got the tail light part of the wiring done..... I also put the main battery cable in place and attached in the trunk area..... Last thing I did is get some nut serts installed and mounted my alternator shut down relay.....

Here's the completed tail light wiring.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the alt shut down relay and progress on the main battery cable.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

6. 74chlngrTT5.9

Two more to do's you can check off the list :thumbsup:

7. franktf

Today I finished the wiring in the trunk except for the fuel sender and pump(I will hook them up when I get the tank in the car)..... I put a trunk light in and added a plug for my battery tender.....

Here is the battery tender plug and trunk light.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the alt shut down relay and fuel pump relay(coiled up wire is the fuel pump and sender harness).....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

8. franktf

Got the battery cable and alternator feed wire routed through the inner quarter area..... I installed both inner quarter cover panels and seam sealed them up..... I also cut the rear floor plug for the pass side to clear the frame connector and installed both floor plugs with seam sealer..... Next week I will be able to clean and scuff the floors, then finally get some Lizard Skin on the floors and rear seat areas.....

I did a little long over due shop cleaning in between today too, while cleaning I had the car outside and took a few pic's of it.....

Here is the pass side inner quarter area, then both sides with panels in place and seam sealed.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the floor plugs in.....

[​IMG]#ad

and here's a couple of the car sitting outside.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

9. spray280

Very nice Frank!!!!

10. 74chlngrTT5.9

nice.
    What are the inner panels made out of or are they just a repo replacement?

11. franktf

Thanks.....

The ones I just put in are just .062 aluminum, same as the ones behind the rear seat area..... This is all just firewall for the trunk area..... The stock plastic panels will go over these and it will still have a rear seat in it.....

12. franktf

This morning I got the cage all masked up and got the Lizard Skin sprayed in the interior..... Just as I did on the rest of the car I put one coat of Sound Control and 2 coats of Ceramic Insulation..... I also had to put a little in the lower front of the rear wheel well openings where the rivets in the interior panels go through.....

Here is the interior masked up, then sprayed.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the rear fenderwell area I had to touch up.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

13. franktf

I decided to go back to the shop this evening and unmask the cage, but the Lizard Skin wasn't completely dry yet even after 6 hrs or so...... I quess the cooler temps in the low 60's are slowing the drying process quite a bit..... I did unmask all the higher stuff, but not the lower areas until it finishes drying..... I also put the rear tires back on and got it back on the ground..... I almost forgot, I got my fire system this week.....

Here's what it's looking like.....

[​IMG]#ad

and here's the new fire system stuff.....

[​IMG]#ad

14. franktf

The Lizard Skin was dry this morning so I unmasked the rest of the cage..... Next I notched my new package try panel for the cage then installed it, the end trim panels, the speaker pockets and speakers.....

Here is the package tray area and a couple of the interior area.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

15. franktf

This morning I made the rear fire extinguisher line from the tee into the trunk area and installed it with the nozzle..... Next I got the regular early Mustang gas tank I have ready to go in and install it(I am going to install the Aeromotive Stealth tank with pump when I do the underhood area V8/turbo install).....

Then I cut up the filler necks I have trying to figure out what I am going to fab up a new one with..... I think I have figured it out now using the parts I cut up and a 2.375 exhaust j-bend I have..... I will build the tube tomorrow.....

Here is the fire extinguisher line with the trunk area nozzle.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the gas tank ready to go in and then bolted in place.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

and here is the progress so far on the filler neck.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

16. Rip Rock

I'm courious, what fuel pump or pumps are you going to using on your comet?
    It's really starting to come along,looks fabulous!!

17. franktf

I have an Aeromotive Stealth Mustang tank, that is baffled and has one of there stealth 340lph pumps in it that I will use when I do the v8/turbo conversion.....

18. franktf

I made the fuel filler tube this morning, I put the unleaded fuel door in because it will make a good baffle for fuel slosh..... I also ran some 3/8" aluminum fuel line along the frame to just behind the front torque box, I just insulated it with pieces of 3/8" hose and zip tied it to the brake line(this line is only temporary for the 6 cyl)..... I ran a temporary wire through a grommet for the fuel level sender for now.....

Here is the fuel filler through several stages of building it.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the temporary fuel line and sender wire install.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

19. 74chlngrTT5.9

Nice progress as usual.
    Lots of "extra" work that will end up being discarded. Doing some of the same on mine just to keep progress from stalling out.

20. franktf

Put the fuel filler neck in today and connected the wire for the fuel level gauge..... Then I got the rear window down, cleaned it up and put it in(just need to get some bedding compound so I can seal it up)...... I also got the rear window trim and quarter windows down so I can get them cleaned up.....

Here is the fuel filler installed.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

and here is the rear window cleaned up and ready to go in, then in the car.....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad