1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My '71 Monte (The Dark Knight) BB Twin Turbo "aspirations".

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by joeleodee, Aug 10, 2016.

1. joeleodee

The progress has been moving along slowly but surely. I have a temporary cold side mocked up until I can get to my fabricator and get some pipes properly bent. I have the steering shaft rerouted, oil lines finished, and everything fitting properly. I still need to wrap and silicon paint the headers, but I can't do that in the extreme heat and humidity we've been experiencing. 100°, heat index 115° because of humidity. That's causing a delay. It's very close, just still waiting on some minor things before the final assembly. My turbo blankets are on their way also.

IMAG0154.jpg #ad

IMAG0151.jpg #ad

IMAG0145.jpg #ad

IMAG0144.jpg #ad

2. joeleodee

Got it fired up. Just burning the header wrap. It sounds so angry

3. joeleodee

received_1443028205792872.jpeg #ad
    received_1443028205792872.jpeg #ad
    20170916174041.JPG #ad
    20170916174031.JPG #ad

4. Mnlx

Looks, and sounds good.

Are you worried at all about the smallish air inlet pipes causing a restriction?

Also curious, why v band the whole coldside? I'd like to see it with some flex somewhere for hotside movement.

5. Drac0nic

Great car, I can't believe how much room it has in the front of the engine bay. I wish my Lemans had clearance like that for the manifolds.

6. joeleodee

I'll be quite honest. That's a bit of an oversight. Sometimes I like to overbuild to a fault. Nevertheless, with solid motor mounts, I'm hoping it'll not be a problem and if it is, I'll rectify it. Thanks for your insight.

7. BlownShovel

As other have said - looking good. Out having some fun with it! any track plans or updates?

8. joeleodee

No updates. I do plan some occasional track appearances, but it's unlikely to happen this season. Right now I'm chasing an ignition problem. Just started to run sluggish and rough like it's out of time. All other vital signs are where they're supposed to be so I'm going to bypass my MSD and try running timing straight through the Fitech to see if maybe my box is malfunctioning.

9. BlownShovel

Any luck w the ignition ? I had a coil as well as a ign timing box due similar. The box wasn't providing timing demand(setup) so way low on timing all the time

10. joeleodee

Well, the car is running proper now. I switched out the starter the other day because mine was beginning to go out. Obviously, the battery was disconnected. Now, I know there have been resets built into MSD CDI boxes and they're activated when battery power is reintroduced. The only thing I can think of is that somehow my low battery voltage screwed with the box. The battery disconnect reset it and it's good now.

That being said, I've diagnosed that my stock output alternator was overtaxed causing low voltage so I upgraded that. Well when I went to fire the car back up, the new starter I just bought busted the nose off. It never ends. Lol

11. captaingriffin

It seems to come in threes! I take it you're not using the timing control in the FiTech?

12. joeleodee

I am not. Since I had to buy a CDI box anyway, I decided to spend a little extra for the programmable because others have said that its the better of the two spark control platforms for a boosted application. I do like it, but in hindsight, I probably just should have grabbed a pertronix CDI box and used fitech to control the timing so it would all be wrapped up in one system instead of 2. I also like the idea of changing timing in real time like the fitech offers. Who knows. I may decide that, anyway.

13. joeleodee

Been a while since I updated so the project moves forward.

My current engine is seeing a little more blow by than I like so that's going to come out in place of a purpose built long block for the setup. When I pull that, I'll probably have to rering it and then sell it. Otherwise, the rotating assembly is fine, just not fully forged like is best for boost.

At any rate, what I have so far is a fully forged 489 short block with flat top pistons so I'm building from that. My plan right now is to add a Straub custom cam, matching valve train components, and AFR oval port heads. It'll be about 9-9.5:1 compression ratio with the heads I'm considering and the vehicle will be running on e85. Should be a very streetable combo before boost comes on.

Induction is where it gets more interesting. I will be retaining the Fitech TB EFI however, on e85 and boost, in its current state, the Fitech 1200PA is severely limited and this setup will blow past it's limit. I could upgrade injectors and retune accordingly, but sometimes I like to do things a bit differently so this is my plan. The Fitech 1200PA is a 2 stage 8 injector batchfire fuel injection. Basically, at low MAP, only 4 injectors are firing and at higher load values, the other 4 kick in. Well, my plan is to rewire it so each injector driver is controlling 2 injectors. This would mean I have the ability the run 16 injectors, providing the fueling capacity needed for this boosted big block. The 8 injectors in the throttle body would all be 1 stage and then I will have fuel rails and 8 more injectors in a multiport intake.

This vehicle use is mainly a street cruiser/bruiser, car show stopper, and occasional track duty planned. I've always liked boosted power via turbos especially because it'll be 1000hp capable with daily driver manners.

Driveline is an already built 12 bolt rear end and plans for a built 4L80e transmission.

So, does this sound rather crazy?

14. captaingriffin

Very interested in seeing how you do this with the Fitech. Keep us in the loop!