1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My '71 Monte (The Dark Knight) BB Twin Turbo "aspirations".

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by joeleodee, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Blowncat509

Car is definitely sweet! Don't see too many monte Carlos any more, that haven't been "tacoized" I live in CA.:disgust::disgust::disgust:

2. joeleodee

You don't see that nearly as much here in the Midwest with these.

Anyway, with Fitech 1200hp in hand, I've been planning the rest of the fueling upgrade.

Right now, the plan is to run a surge tank fitted with twin AEM380 fuel pumps and I'll have to run an external FPR for that. The surge tank will be fed by my existing electric fuel pumps. Still determining what size lines I should run, and the only challenge will be running a return all the way back to the tank.

3. Blowncat509

I'm having a similar problem with my boat, (has an IMCO Super fuel valve-1/2" ports, but no return)
    for the dual tanks. Peterson fluid systems has a return port inline valve you can dump back into the feed line ... It's -10jic, what size are your fuel lines? ( don't know if it will work for higher press# FI tho

4. joeleodee

The fuel lines from the surge tank to the EFI, I'm leaning to -10an or -08an for that and the return. The lines from the existing fuel pumps to the front are just 3/8" hard lines.

Show me this return port inline valve you mentioned.

5. Blowncat509

Here it is....petersonfluidsystems.com

image.jpg #ad

6. joeleodee

So I'm really thinking I should consider what cxracing has to offer for turbo hardware.

Here is the kit.

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchan...ode=TRB-KIT-BBC-CHEVELLE-NO-IC&Category_Code=

As far as turbo options beyond what's provided in the kit, there were a few I saw. Still trying to decide on size. Maybe you puerile have recommendations from either cxracing or other suppliers.

Basically, this will be a low boost (6-10psi) higher compression big block 454 on e85 to 6000rpm. However, I'm not against a little overkill in case I step things up later. I would rather stick with a ball bearing turbo, also.

Here's a few links to some cx turbos I noticed.

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchan...de=TRB-T70-R_FLNG-OIL-FEED-AN4&Category_Code=

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchan...RB-T72-P81-R_FLNG-OIL-FEED-AN4&Category_Code=

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchan...RB-T76-P81-R_FLNG-OIL-FEED-AN4&Category_Code=

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchan...RB-T76-P96-R_FLNG-OIL-FEED-AN4&Category_Code=

7. joeleodee

The surge tank is being built as we speak.

Since I'm keeping everything clean under the hood, the surge tank will be mounted in the trunk with the existing electric pumps that will serve as lift pumps to the surge tank.

Black nylon braided fuel lines compatible with ethanol will be the main supply and return. -8an feed with -6an return.

This whole setup including the tank, 2 380lpr pumps, wiring harness, relays, fuel lines, filters, fpr, and all fittings is running about a $grand$, but this should be good for all the power I'd ever want to run. On E85, I expect I'll come close to maxing out the fitech.

On to another inquiry, here is my engine bay. I plan on keeping with the same theme. That's a custom built dual cold air intake and I want to retain some of that. Has anybody ever used a dual snorkel plenum like this as a bonnet for a blowthrough? I'll have to route some cold side piping so I'm thinking of coming off this carb hat. Then, I'll route piping from the compressor inlet down to the where the cone filters currently reside in front of the fenderwell. What do you think?

FB_IMG_1474076034510.jpg #ad

8. joeleodee

I've had a bit of a harrowing experience sourcing all the parts necessary for what my next step is. Finally started working on the fitech installation. I don't have any lines or fittings just yet, but they're on their way.

Anyway, got the throttle body and linkage fitted as well as the surge tank placed in the trunk. A few pics for posterity.

IMAG0049.jpg #ad

IMAG0048.jpg #ad

9. Twin Turbo Skylark

Looking good! Yes food idea to mount you're air filters in the same location as NA.... Most people agree that a blow through specific carb hat is a good idea. For 5 psi a home made hat may work fine but as boost is raised it can cause distribution issues. I am switching from a home made hat to a good one, it may or may not be part of the reason I have been blowing head gaskets in number 3 cylinder.

10. joeleodee

That certainly gives me something to think about going forward. I don't plan to boost much past 8psi if at all. Nevertheless, do I really want to spend the effort fabricating my cold side piping to a hat that may not be up to the task? I have time to think on that one. Thanks.

11. joeleodee

Working long hours and 7 days a week the past few weeks, I haven't made much progress. However, I did manage to begin setting up the fuel feed in the trunk with the surge tank. I'll tell you, most of the time is not actual work but planning and making decisions on where stuff should go.

Anyway, this is my first experience assembling AN lines and fittings. Pretty easy with the proper tools, really.

Here's pics of the fuel feed setup in the trunk and the feed line from the regulator.

I'm debating. I don't really need 2 lift pumps, so I'm thinking of bypassing one of them. In turn, I could wire one of the surge tank pumps to the switch that the second lift pump is on and that one can remain manually controlled while the other is controlled by the fitech. Obviously, I don't need both pumps running all the time. Or, I could control the second pump using a Hobbs boost switch whereas eventually when I start running boost, that switch will trigger the pump on above a specified psi.

What do you guys think?

IMAG0061.jpg #ad

IMAG0060.jpg #ad

12. joeleodee

Finished the main feed line. From the regulator to the filter in the trunk, I was able to route it cleanly along the outside frame rail. I tucked it up there nice and snug using cushioned clamps to brace it. Now time to start on the return line.

13. joeleodee

Finished up all the fuel lines today so my fuel feed and returns are fully plumbed. Final step is to finish wiring it. Here's what the system looks like in the trunk. Under the hood, the lines and regulator are tucked in the the back for a more polished look.

IMAG0063.jpg #ad

IMAG0065.jpg #ad

14. captaingriffin

Looking great! Curious to see how you like the fitech with the turbo big block. Im planning on going that route with my bbf.

Oh and my wife is from the Omaha area. Nice city, go Huskers.

15. Johnny C.

Very cool project.

16. Leadfoot1

Nice project!

Im reading and am not sure i understand the "surge" tank? Is it cause your using your actual system? Its the first time i see something like this. Is it a bit like the tank that FITech and Edelbrock sell that permit the use of a mechanical pump to that said "tank" that then feeds the FI System?

Looks complicated....

Lead.

17. joeleodee

It is similar to those units, but this, unlike the Fitech fuel command center, my surge tank has a true return to the main tank. It also returns from the regulator to the surge tank. This makes for better fuel cooling because of the extra circulation. Mine has 2 fuel pumps for high horsepower capacity. One is powered by the Fitech wire via relay, and the other I can activate with an in-cab manual switch when running boost.

Anyway, good time to update this thread. I finished the install of the Fitech a few weeks back just in time for the snow to fall and the roads salted. Needless to say, it's put away for the winter and fine tuning will have to wait.

Nevertheless, a couple snags. A few fuel leaks manifested. Got those buttoned up. Had to make some adjustments to get the car fired. Got it running. Fuel system is working properly. The install cleaned up the engine compartment nicely. I was surprised about that. I got the wires AND fuel lines tucked away and routed safely away from extreme heat and moving parts. Here's a couple pics for now. I'll update tuning progress in the spring.

FB_IMG_1481469864535.jpg #ad

FB_IMG_1481469859021.jpg #ad

18. joeleodee

IMAG0119.jpg #ad
    IMAG0123.jpg #ad
    I haven't updated for some time and there has been considerable progress.

Fitech EFI is performing properly as things get settled in. I switched out my ignition for better timing control under boost. In place of the HE I, I modified a TBI distributor, added an MSD coil and programmable 6al. Since I needed to add a CDI box anyway because of boost, it wasn't that much more expensive for the programmable box which does a better job controlling timing than the Fitech. Anyway, installed that and got it all dialed in to where I want it.

On to the fun stuff. I started mocking up the twin turbo setup. It's a cxracing hot side kit built for first gen big block chevelles. Needless to say, some fabrication required. New valve covers are ordered since my fabricated set doesn't clear. A few other minor clearance issues that are easily manageable. However, the major issue will be the steering shaft. I have a buddy with a lot of experience doing these things coming over to help with this issue. Worst case scenario; I'll have to upgrade to a rack and pinion steering system which is big money I really don't want to spend. But you got to pay to play.

Anyway, here's what's been happening the past week. Enjoy.

IMAG0113.jpg #ad
    IMAG0116.jpg #ad

19. Twin Turbo Skylark

Thanks for the update this is. Inning along very nice! The car will be a ton of fun once it's done I am looking forward to it!!

joeleodee likes this.
  20. joeleodee

Updating the current build.

1971 Monte Carlo
    454 Big Block Chevy
    Forged Crank, Rods, and Pistons.
    300cc Aluminum oval port heads
    Competition flat rapper cam
    700r4 Transmission
    Edge Racing converter.
    4:11 12 Bolt rear end.
    Fitech fuel injection